Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Credit score? churning?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2008, 10:48 am
In memoriam

Close enough for some, then. Or, as my Grandpa used to say, "close enough for government work."
Old Sep 14, 2008, 1:57 pm

Programs: united airlines
Originally Posted by biggestbopper
Itsme: you have provided useful info before, so I assume you got out of bed on the wrong side (metaphorically speaking) and are just a little testy right now.

As far as Coke goes, you can buy essentially the same product (with perhaps less effective ads) from Pepsi, Sam's Club etc. Folks tell me Sam's is just about the same as Coke. I guess Wal-Mart figured out the "secret."

As to FICO, it is true that Fair I. claims its formula is top secret, but that's how they make their money, selling the "secret." There are lots of places on the web to get quasi FICO scores which are close enough. Check out the three bureau sites for starters. I think we all, just from looking at FT and Fat Wallet have a pretty good idea of what goes into a credit score. Pay bills on time, keep old accts open, keep credit line use down, etc. Credit scoring is no mystery, but, like a lot of the rest of the financial services, there is a lot of effort put into cloaking it in a heavy haze.
I don't know where you saw testiness in my responses. You acknowledge, albeit begrudingly, that Coke does indeed have a secret recipe, even if you personally are willing to accept the word of others that there are imitations out there which are "about the same as Coke." And more importantly that the same is true where FICO scores are concerned ("Fair I. claims its formula is top secret...,"), though there too the substitutes are good enough for you ("There are lots of places on the web to get quasi" FICO scores which are close enough.").

BTW, it seems I was mistaken when I said that Fair Isaacs doesn't sell its score directly to individuals.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 9:47 pm
In memoriam

Guess I missed where I agree that Coke's ingredients are a secret. In fact, they are not. Take a look at snopes.com or Wikipedia on the Coke formula.

If you want to believe that FI's stuff is a secret, well, you are, of course, free to believe that, too. @:-)
Old Sep 15, 2008, 8:02 am

Guess I missed where I agree that Coke's ingredients are a secret. In fact, they are not. Take a look at snopes.com or Wikipedia on the Coke formula.

If you want to believe that FI's stuff is a secret, well, you are, of course, free to believe that, too. @:-)
I looked at both the snopes website and Wikipedia, finding nothing on either to support your contention that there is no secret to the recipe/formula for Coke. If I have overlooked what supports that contention, please point me to it on either of those websites or elsewhere.

The Wikipedia entry says in pertinent part: "The exact formula of Coca-Cola is a famous trade secret. The original copy of the formula is held in SunTrust Bank's main vault in Atlanta...A popular myth states that only two executives have access to the formula, with each executive having only half the formula.[33] The truth is that while Coca-Cola does have a rule restricting access to only two executives, each knows the entire formula and others, in addition to the prescribed duo, have known the formulation process.[34]" Isn't a secret because two people know it?
Old Sep 15, 2008, 8:13 am

...If you want to believe that FI's stuff is a secret, well, you are, of course, free to believe that, too. @:-)
I think that I, tev9999 and sdsearch have answered that one. If you still think that you can take someone's credit report and from what is "known" or "knowable" about FICO scores come very close to guessing their FICO score, then would you bet a substantial $$$ on how well you would do?

Given a dozen or so middling credit reports, do you think the average difference between your guesstimate FICO and the real FICO score would be < "x," and what would that "x" be? 10 points? 25 points? 50 points? I would bet $$$ that on average you would miss by > 25 points. Would plus or minus 50 be what you mean by "close enough for some"?
Old Sep 15, 2008, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by itsme
I think that I, tev9999 and sdsearch have answered that one. If you still think that you can take someone's credit report and from what is "known" or "knowable" about FICO scores come very close to guessing their FICO score, then would you bet a substantial $$$ on how well you would do?

Given a dozen or so middling credit reports, do you think the average difference between your guesstimate FICO and the real FICO score would be < "x," and what would that "x" be? 10 points? 25 points? 50 points? I would bet $$$ that on average you would miss by > 25 points. Would plus or minus 50 be what you mean by "close enough for some"?
What is the purpose for this lengthy discussion?

In my experiences, FICO is NOT the be all, end all, determinant factor whether you get approval or not. Many other factors come into play, including your history with the credit grantor, to say the least. If FICO and credit reports are the determinants, then I fail to understand why some issuers would grant credit at 2 days turnaround time while other issuers would demand many more info and yet still deny credit, in cases I have observed, on same applicant, thus same public credit profiles based on the 3 reporting bureau.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.