Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Most widely accepted internationally - Visa or Mastercard?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Most widely accepted internationally - Visa or Mastercard?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2008, 5:38 pm

Programs: *G
Domestically I carry AMEX (preferred) and MC as backup where the former is not accepted. Except backwards government agencies those 2 have gotten me by

International I carry AMEX, MC, and VISA. VISA is really not necessary IMO, but the Cap 1 Visa just happens to have 0% Forex Fees
Old Mar 8, 2013, 6:59 pm

Anyone else have any other experiences overseas of whether you feel is more widely accepted? MC or Visa?
Old Mar 8, 2013, 8:44 pm
Suspended

in Thailand, I saw many " we prefer mastercard signs".

They hate Amex.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by SuperKirby
Anyone else have any other experiences overseas of whether you feel is more widely accepted? MC or Visa?
In my experience, it's exceedingly rare for merchants to take MC or Visa but not both. It's quite common for merchants not to take AmEx, though, and in countries where surcharges are legal and socially acceptable, AmEx surcharges tend to be higher.

It's not hard just to have one of each, though--a lot of American banks issue both, and Chase even lets you get the same card as either MC or Visa.

The only exceptions I can think of are the Olympics (Visa only, by contract with Visa) and American wholesale clubs (Costco takes only AmEx, Sam's takes only MC).
Old Mar 9, 2013, 8:25 pm

Programs: AA:1MM
Originally Posted by der_saeufer
In my experience, it's exceedingly rare for merchants to take MC or Visa but not both. It's quite common for merchants not to take AmEx, though, and in countries where surcharges are legal and socially acceptable, AmEx surcharges tend to be higher.
I think you may have missed the "internationally" feature of the question... Here in Japan merchants seem to strongly prefer visa.

Originally Posted by der_saeufer
It's not hard just to have one of each, though--a lot of American banks issue both, and Chase even lets you get the same card as either MC or Visa.
Chase (freedom as visa and mc) and Citi both have this in the US. Shoot, Citi has AMEX, MC, and Visa versions of some of their AA cards. The common issuance of visa and mc has to do with how the two organization were founded. The ability to issue AMEX is a result of a lawsuit.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 6:12 pm

Small stores Visa only, and Tim Hortons Mastercard only?

I read somewhere (maybe on FT or another credit card forum) that small ethnic stores sometimes only accept Visa but not Mastercard in Canada (primarily in Vancouver and Toronto). Also, the famous Tim Hortons does not accept Visa but only Mastercard?!

Can any Canadians or anyone confirm this?
Old Mar 20, 2013, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by SuperKirby
I read somewhere (maybe on FT or another credit card forum) that small ethnic stores sometimes only accept Visa but not Mastercard in Canada (primarily in Vancouver and Toronto). Also, the famous Tim Hortons does not accept Visa but only Mastercard?!

Can any Canadians or anyone confirm this?
If a small Canadian store takes Visa but not MC (or vice versa) it is usually because they violated a term of their contract. It is extremely unusual for a merchant services provider to not offer both Visa and MC together as a package deal. In fact, one of the things that merchants are after in Canada is the ability to pick and choose, a la carte, which cards they will accept. It is more common for a store like that to just offer Interac Debit as the only card option.

As for Tim Hortons? There was an exclusivity arrangement with Mastercard years ago as Tim Hortons was the launch customer of their PayPass technology. These days you can pay by Visa/MC/Amex or Interac at Tim Hortons. And cash as well, I guess.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 2:32 pm

I'm from southern Brazil and establishments here seem to accept Visa and Mastercard equally. When I was at the beach last month in Balneário Camboriú - SC, I noticed even people that sell things as bracelets in the sand of the beach accept cards
Old Feb 22, 2015, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
When I was in Puerto Vallarta recently card acceptance wasn't nearly as common as in the US. Even at places that took cards people generally paid cash if possible. The weird thing was the number of places that seemed to only have the Visa logo in their windows. I'm not sure if they would have taken MasterCard if given one, but I imagine they would have.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 10:21 pm

I was in Colombia for two months at the end of the last year. My Visa worked everywhere. I just assumed they would have taken MC as well. I'll take a closer look next time I travel.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 10:27 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Diamon, IHG Spire
Country-wide or region-wide speaking, I was recently in Zambia and Zimbabwe, and it was PITA to go look for a ATM that accepts Mastercard. My impression is that Visa just dominates Master in these countries/region.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by jschner
4. Should a prudent traveler carry both?
YES! I would NEVER travel without diversifying 1) debit+ATM-that-can-be-used-as-if-it-were-credit vs. actual-credit, 2) brand (visa/mc/etc), and 3) where I stash them (get one of those waistband things you tuck down your pants and never let it off your body unless you're showering/swimming - and then lock it somewhere - your passport should be in this, too; if you're a woman, consider doing a skirt+shirt instead of dresses for dress-up so you can still reach down your waistband).

Typically, I think you do well with 1 all-purpose (debit+ATM+acts-as-credit) "refunds your ATM fees and has no foreign transaction fees" card in your wallet from a bank that gives debit cards as good of fraud protection as they give their credit cards. Then have a 2nd "all-purpose" card in your money belt in case you need cash and your first card is stolen - doesn't have to be as awesome as the first. Finally, have a credit card in your money belt - again, for emergencies (e.g. unexpected need to purchase more than you have in the bank). One of the 2 in your money belt should be a different brand than the one in your wallet.

No need to keep more than the 1 in your wallet; it's thief-bait.

I would only diversify past Visa/MC if I were going somewhere that the guidebooks said I needed something else.

If I were carrying other cards for the perks (e.g. free luggage), I'd keep them in the money belt and only flash them as necessary.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 2:09 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by johnnie198x
Country-wide or region-wide speaking, I was recently in Zambia and Zimbabwe, and it was PITA to go look for a ATM that accepts Mastercard. My impression is that Visa just dominates Master in these countries/region.
MasterCard is growing quickly in Africa and globally has just as many acceptance locations as Visa.

If you need to find an ATM in the future, you can use the global MC ATM locator app or this link: http://www.mastercard.us/cardholder-...m-locator.html Just pick your country.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 2:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Redhead
MasterCard is growing quickly in Africa and globally has just as many acceptance locations as Visa.

If you need to find an ATM in the future, you can use the global MC ATM locator app or this link: http://www.mastercard.us/cardholder-...m-locator.html Just pick your country.
Bizarrely I noticed an ATM here in the UK that only accepted Visa and American Express (For domestic UK cards its irrelevant as all debit and credit cards use the local LINK network) and it even had a message on it saying that MasterCard wasn't accepted.

In south America I've come across one or or two places that have only taken MasterCard and sometimes Amex or Diners Club as well but no Visa.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 12:44 pm

It's a slight tangent, but here is another data point for this topic: A couple of years ago I was in French Polynesia, and for about 4 days, VISA was 'down' in the entire country. MC worked fine. So as has been mentioned, when travelling internationally, it's not a bad idea to have one of each.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.