Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

People making rude comments when making small purchases on a CC?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

People making rude comments when making small purchases on a CC?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2008, 5:34 pm

If they take CC's, I pay with one. Most cashiers can't make change correctly, and a CC transaction is faster. I don't like to carry my ATM card at all, so it's a special effort for me to dig it out of the safe and go get cash.

I always comment if I am behind someone writing a check.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 10:18 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ESPECIALROB
Once in the 15 items or less line at the grocery store, I remember someone in front of me putting a 38 cent charge on their Platinum charge card for an onion . I personally would be embarrassed to charge something for such a tiny amount, but the cashier professionally handled the transaction and said nothing out of line to the onion's buyer.
I just made 2 charges, $0.05 each. I had to make my minimum monthly purchases to keep my 0% BT for life action going. Usually I do it at the gas station, but these days 5 cents buys so little gas that the machines keep rejecting my purchases. So I had to go to Walgreen's and buy 2 highlighters, normally 69 cents each, on sale with coupon for a nickel a piece. sold out of the mechanical pencils (5 for 5 cents)!
Old Jul 23, 2008, 10:27 pm

I recently found Citizens Against the Minimum Purchase. They are claiming to take action against merchants and have a (small) database of reported merchants.

I don't like minimum purchases, but I can understand where merchants are coming from. I report merchants b/c it's the rule and instead of protesting the rule the shop should work to fight the fees. I'm not sure what I'd do if fees and minimums were allowed here like in Australia.

slightly OT: one of the news clips linked on that site has a merchant saying he gets charged 35c per swipe. Is that really each time a card is swiped (and potentially denied), or each time a transaction goes through? He made it sound like if you swiped and denied or it didn't register he got charged 35c so if he kept swiping he kept getting charged.

Last edited by gj83; Jul 23, 2008 at 10:36 pm
Old Jul 24, 2008, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gj83
slightly OT: one of the news clips linked on that site has a merchant saying he gets charged 35c per swipe. Is that really each time a card is swiped (and potentially denied), or each time a transaction goes through? He made it sound like if you swiped and denied or it didn't register he got charged 35c so if he kept swiping he kept getting charged.
On the merchant accounts I am familiar with, the per transaction fee applies only to processed transactions, not to denials, etc.
There is no way a card read error is going to be charged to the merchant.
Maybe there is some processor out there who charges on denied transactions, too, but I don't think that's the norm.

Merchants who are upset about their fees should shop around. There's a lot of competition in the merchant services field and costs can be cut.
Old Jul 24, 2008, 10:26 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
The only way I ever get cash is if I go to dinner with friends and they pay in cash and I put the whole thing on my card. Otherwise, I don't have cash. I've put as little as $0.60 on my card - would love to try the $0.05 purchase - and if anyone ever made a comment, I'd tell 'em to go suck eggs
Old Jul 24, 2008, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by Redhead
The only way I ever get cash is if I go to dinner with friends and they pay in cash and I put the whole thing on my card. Otherwise, I don't have cash.
That is a very familiar story to me. Never have any cash, unless my friends pay cash at a restaurant and I put everything on my card Sometimes my dinner is at least 1/2 price after all points I earn with a credit card and airline dining program. I have tried to explain to my friends on how to maximize your benefits using credit cards, however they still prefer cash. So it works very well for me

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.