Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

People making rude comments when making small purchases on a CC?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

People making rude comments when making small purchases on a CC?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2008, 1:02 pm

The majority of non chain merchants pay the following fees:
$10.00 per month
$0.25 per transaction for Visa and Mastercard
$0.35 per transaction for American Express and Discover
1.9% for a standard Visa or Master card
3% for a keyed transaction or American Express
4% for a corporate or rewards credit card
Old Jul 7, 2008, 5:58 pm

Here is the site that lists different credit card abuses and how to complaint:

http://www.gofso.com/Premium/LE/06_l...merchants.html
Old Jul 7, 2008, 9:08 pm

Programs: LH HON Circle, Premier M&M World MC, UA MP
Originally Posted by TAHKUCT

"Further, if you refuse to present identification, such as a driver’s license, the merchant may not refuse to make a credit card sale under Visa, MasterCard, and Amex rules."

WHAT? They can't ask for a driver's license when I spend 5k in Bergdorf Goodman? I mean, they don't anymore because I work with the personal shopper there, but when I go to Hermés, they've asked to see my driver's license as I rarely go there and I'll drop a lot of money in one trip...
Old Jul 8, 2008, 2:20 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus, AA AAdvantage
Merchants are allowed to ask for ID, but they cannot make it a condition for approving the transaction.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by im_blue
Merchants are allowed to ask for ID, but they cannot make it a condition for approving the transaction.
So if I refuse to show my ID, they still have to approve the transaction?

I mean I've never run into it when I spend under 100, but if I'm spending thousands, I can understand them wanting to see my ID because they want to prevent fraud (everybody is hurt by fraud).
Old Jul 8, 2008, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by abcxyz
So if I refuse to show my ID, they still have to approve the transaction?

I mean I've never run into it when I spend under 100, but if I'm spending thousands, I can understand them wanting to see my ID because they want to prevent fraud (everybody is hurt by fraud).
There was a long thread about this last year. No you do not have to show an ID when making a purchase with a credit card. As well as you are not required to carry a drivers license when you are not driving. I had refused every single request from a merchant to show and ID and had never been declined a transaction yet. Sometimes it just took few minutes waiting for a manager. The only thing a merchant has to do is to verify your signature.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 10:11 am

There was a long thread about this last year. No you do not have to show an ID when making a purchase with a credit card. As well as you are not required to carry a drivers license when you are not driving. I had refused every single request from a merchant to show and ID and had never been declined a transaction yet. Sometimes it just took few minutes waiting for a manager. The only thing a merchant has to do is to verify your signature.
What have you said when the clerk keeps asking for ID? And what do you say to the manager.

I want to give this a try.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 10:23 am

WHAT? They can't ask for a driver's license when I spend 5k in Bergdorf Goodman? I mean, they don't anymore because I work with the personal shopper there, but when I go to Hermés, they've asked to see my driver's license as I rarely go there and I'll drop a lot of money in one trip...
Mine is bigger than yours.

...and no, they aren't supposed to ask for your license, regardless of if it is Hermés or Wal-Mart.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by thelark
Mine is bigger than yours.

...and no, they aren't supposed to ask for your license, regardless of if it is Hermés or Wal-Mart.
You know there's a big difference between buying something at Wal*Mart and buying something at Hermés. They don't compare - and I'd assume they are taking on a risk by not asking for ID as CC's are easily stolen.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Understanding that CC fees can eat into profits, especially at low-margin Mom and Pops, I do the following:

Mom & Pops: Purchases < $10 are made with cash and > $10 with credit
Chains: Credit card whenever they'll take it, preferably AMEX

No one has ever made a comment even when charging a single donut or ice cream cone. I charge a single greeting card on a regular basis, no comments there either.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
What have you said when the clerk keeps asking for ID? And what do you say to the manager.

I want to give this a try.
State that forcing customers so show identification violates the merchant agreement with the credit issuer - the reason credit cards are still to be endorsed upon receipt is to provide a comparison for assurance of identity. They may check the signature on the card and charge slip before providing the customer a receipt (where the receipt completes the transaction).

This form of cashier mis-training comes in waves - it used to be clerks asking customers for their SSNs on checks, then phone numbers on checks . . .
Old Jul 8, 2008, 2:17 pm

You know there's a big difference between buying something at Wal*Mart and buying something at Hermés. They don't compare - and I'd assume they are taking on a risk by not asking for ID as CC's are easily stolen.
Of course the establishments are on opposite ends of the spectrum, but for the sake of this conversation it is irrelevant. A charge is a charge, regardless of the store in which is it being made. IIRC, the store does not take on a risk by not asking for ID on a purchase. As long as they process the transaction in accordance with the merchant agreement then the CC company takes the loss in the case of a stolen card.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 3:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
I was just in The Childrens Place today which is a national chain and while browsing the associate at the register kept announcing that for all those people paying with credit card ID would be required. I was not buying anything, but after having just read this thread this morning, I was tempted to put her to the test - however, the line was at least 15-20 deep and I wasn't going to waste my time. I really wonder what she would've done had I refused to show ID.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 3:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)

My local Indian sweetmeat shop has a $10 minimum purchase for cc's. I happened to have a little time on my hands to make a point this afternoon so I tried to pay for my $6 purchase with a credit card. The shop owner refused and told me he would be happy to accept my card if I bought another $4 worth of food. He wasn't happy when I told him he was infringing on Visa's T&C's. He started complaining about the fees and just as I was about to relent he offered a compromise. @:-) "If you pay cash, I give you extra samosa". ^ "Done!"
Old Jul 8, 2008, 3:56 pm

Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred
Originally Posted by PhlyingRPh
My local Indian sweetmeat shop has a $10 minimum purchase for cc's. I happened to have a little time on my hands to make a point this afternoon so I tried to pay for my $6 purchase with a credit card. The shop owner refused and told me he would be happy to accept my card if I bought another $4 worth of food. He wasn't happy when I told him he was infringing on Visa's T&C's. He started complaining about the fees and just as I was about to relent he offered a compromise. @:-) "If you pay cash, I give you extra samosa". ^ "Done!"
While CC merchant agreement T&C's expressly prohibit imposing minum charge restrictions on their cards, no such ban exists against merchants offering discounts or promotions to their customers as an incentive to pay with cash. The merchants all know which way is up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.