HHonors Amex 3/$ vs. 5/$

Old Dec 18, 07, 7:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL, Hilton, SPG, National
HHonors Amex 3/$ vs. 5/$

I've been using the Amex Hhonors card for a couple of years. I've searched in the various fora and have not found any information about the Everyday Spend:

Does anyone know if Amex ever indicates which purchases are earning the everyday spend bonus and which aren't? I know the basic criteria, but the statement simply lumps them all together and says the number of points.

Is there any way to check to be sure they are awarding the correct amounts?

Has anyone ever spoken with Amex about this?
Old Dec 18, 07, 12:11 pm
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by paterwdb View Post
Calculate the exact amount of points you expect to receive and compare it to the amount you actually receive? If there is a discrepancy it will most often be due to an incorrect merchant classification, and in my experience American Express will take no responsibility for altering this. You can see the calssifications by looking at your statement online and viewing the details of specific transactions.
Old Dec 18, 07, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia View Post
Calculate the exact amount of points you expect to receive and compare it to the amount you actually receive?

I guess that is the problem. There would be no way to calculate it other than to literally go through and add up all purchases which *should* be in everyday spend and those which are not...

It seems to me that Amex should find a way to at least give a breakdown on the statement.
Old Dec 18, 07, 1:39 pm
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
add up all purchases which *should* be in everyday spend and those which are not...
Why is this a "problem"? How long could it take to do this...

Total Bill X 3 = Base Points
Everyday X 2 = Bonus Points
Old Dec 18, 07, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia View Post
Why is this a "problem"? How long could it take to do this...

Total Bill X 3 = Base Points
Everyday X 2 = Bonus Points

Unless I am missing something, and tell me if I am, to do that would require that I take a calculator myself, walk though the bill, decide if each charge is everyday or regular, add them up, and then multiply by 5 or 3, depending on the two totals. That is a "problem" to me, because I can't be bothered to walk through 8-10 pages of charges with a calculator.

If they are already totaled some how and I'm missing that, then you're right, it would be simple.
Old Dec 18, 07, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I have started completely disregarding everyday spend bonuses for this very reason. I have no way to check what counts, and the issuer takes no responsibility regarding what the merchant classifies himself as.

I don't have time to sift thru every transaction to see what they're classified. In somecases, a supermarket is listed as "other" yet I receive the everyday spend, in some, it does not.

Therefore, I give up
Old Dec 19, 07, 4:00 am

Originally Posted by Mary2e View Post
I have started completely disregarding everyday spend bonuses for this very reason. I have no way to check what counts, and the issuer takes no responsibility regarding what the merchant classifies himself as.

I don't have time to sift thru every transaction to see what they're classified. In somecases, a supermarket is listed as "other" yet I receive the everyday spend, in some, it does not.

Therefore, I give up
I gave up too.
My method is to spend untill I meet the max reward for the year and move on to a different card. When I'm planning a trip I use the HHonors or Marriot Card and a Miles card to earn the points for the trip.
Old Dec 19, 07, 6:53 pm

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat, Merrill+, Citi AMEX Chairman
I've been using the Amex Hhonors card for a couple of years. I've searched in the various fora and have not found any information about the Everyday Spend:

Does anyone know if Amex ever indicates which purchases are earning the everyday spend bonus and which aren't? I know the basic criteria, but the statement simply lumps them all together and says the number of points.

Has anyone ever spoken with Amex about this?
Auditing everyday spending is a waste of time. The card issuers will not make it easy. Probably because they do not want phone calls about it. They will not change it if it is a classification error, so why worry about it?
Old Dec 20, 07, 11:36 am

Programs: CO Gold, AA Platinum, United Elite, Hertz Gold, Hilton Gold
I was also bothered by this issue. I could not find anywhere (and I searched well) the list of qualifying merchants. Typically I get about 5% of my monthly spent at qualifying (everyday) merchants. I think one or more of my credit cards does identify which ones they are (I think Citi) but there's no way to know if you haven't purchased there before.