Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Mileage Plus Visa - Cancel and reapply for 20K extra miles?

Old Dec 5, 2007, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

I'm 18K United miles short of a trip to Asia that I really want to book. I'm a Mileage Plus Visa holder and they are currently running a promotion offering 20K miles for new card members. This may be a dumb question but does anyone know if its possible to cancel then sign up again to get the miles?

Short of that I'd appreciate any other suggestions on how to earn 20K miles quickly on United.
Old Dec 6, 2007, 2:07 am

Programs: One Pass, BAEC, AA
Welcome to FT.

Chase no longer allows you to earn bonus miles if you apply again for the SAME card (I will assume you have Visa Signature).

However, if you have not done so already, you can get the BUSINESS version of the card. Just apply, for example, as "Paulshu Consulting". You dont need a TAX ID number for the business - as a sole proprietor, your SS# is all that is needed.

Here's a link for 25,000 bonus miles - requires $250 spend
http://www.firstusa.com/cgi-bin/webc...cont&mkid=6VMT

Good luck
Old Dec 6, 2007, 2:08 am

Programs: One Pass, BAEC, AA
I just realised you only need 18,000 miles - so to make things easier:

20,000 miles use this link - only requires 1 purchase
http://www.firstusa.com/cgi-bin/webc...cont&mkid=6MXQ
Old Dec 13, 2007, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Do you need to cancel the personal card and then apply for the business card or can you apply without canceling and still get the miles?
Old Dec 13, 2007, 1:06 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA 1MM
Originally Posted by bobdobbs2
Do you need to cancel the personal card and then apply for the business card or can you apply without canceling and still get the miles?
the latter.
Old Dec 17, 2007, 9:55 am

do they ever offer to give you miles when you try to cancel the card?
Old Dec 18, 2007, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA,DL,BA,UA,SPG, and any other free trip!
Just Called Chase

Originally Posted by bernyx
do they ever offer to give you miles when you try to cancel the card?
I would have to say no....cuz I just got off the phone with Chase. ( I called to cancel my Starbucks DUETTO Visa card)..and they xferred me to the business card division. I asked the CSR if I would get the bonus miles with the Platinum Business Card for Mileage PLUS from Chase IF I also have the signature VISA card, and he said no.

But I'm wondering if we are going to get different answers from different CSR's. Also...I would think they would want you to get this card just to spend. Anyone hear anything different than this information?? Im in the same boat as you bernyx.....Im at 60K miles and want to approach 90K for the first class ticket.
Old Dec 18, 2007, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Dup. of earlier link, sorry.

Last edited by philemer; Dec 18, 2007 at 3:02 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.