Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who has a great Gas Rebate credit card?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2007, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Who has a great Gas Rebate credit card?

The search engine stinks now. It won't let you search for 5% or even gas. So I have to ask the question that has probably been asked before.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 2:12 pm

costco give 5% back at all gas station for business account holders
Old Oct 22, 2007, 3:35 pm

Programs: Status? What's that? :)
Two that my wife and I have and use:

Pentagon Federal Credit Union (PenFed) has 5% cash back from gas purchases (at the pump, otherwise it's 1.25%) for their Visa Platinum Rewards card. Note that membership requirements apply; you can even qualify by joining NMFA for $20 without even being in the military.

https://www.penfed.org/productsAndRa...ewardCards.asp

Discover Card's "Open Road" (formerly Discover Gas) has 5% cash back for gas and auto maintenance (note it's full 5% Cashback Bonus on your first $100 in combined gas and auto maintenance purchases each billing period, up $1,200 annually). However, because of this new limitation, it's only good for 2-3 fill ups per month (assuming $100 in purchases each billing cycle).

http://www.discovercard.com/apply/gas/

Both of them have no annual fees.

BTW, we also have a Shell MasterCard (issued by Citi; no annual fees) that gives you 5% at the pump for Shell gas purchases (and 1% for everything else), but like most other gas company's affiliated cards, the maximum rebates are applicable only to purchase of their gas at their own stations. We use this for Shell gas purchases but ever since we got PenFed's card, this card is somewhat redundant, so we only use it at the Shell stations.

Last edited by tayd; Oct 22, 2007 at 3:54 pm
Old Oct 22, 2007, 3:49 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Plat., WorldPerks, HH Gold, SPG Gold
Since you are specifically asking for gas rebates, I assume you spend considerable amount of money on gas, which in turn means that you drive a lot.

If that is the case you might consider citi drivers edge rebate card.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 5:48 pm

I have a Juniper/Barclays Gulf Platinum Mastercard
3% at Gulf only, 0% for any other gas, 1% on all else, no maximum rebates at all

I have multiple Gulf station close by so can easily dedicate myself to Gulf. Also this is my preferred card after maxing out my Citi Div and Citi Drivers rebates in the first half of a CY.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 6:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Gold
I have the PerfectCard, a Chase card. It gives 6% back for the first 6 months and then 3% back thereafter on all gas (including the minimart) and 1% on everything else. I don't think there is a max AND the rebate is directly credited to your credit card statement. So you don't have to accumulate a certain amount of rebate and get a check or whatever. No brainer.
Old Oct 27, 2007, 3:06 pm

Programs: delta pm, aa exp, hilton diamond
Amex has a card that offers 5% back on gas, office supples and cell phone's. If you do not mind an amex product.
Old Oct 28, 2007, 10:41 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Advanta business card is 5% on gas and office supplies and a few other things.
Old Oct 28, 2007, 10:45 am

Traveling Salesman: AmEx Blue cash. Mind you, it's 5% after $6500. I don't know anyone who spends $6500 a year on gas. 1 or 1.5% on less than $6500.
Old Oct 28, 2007, 6:28 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by stupidhead
Traveling Salesman: AmEx Blue cash. Mind you, it's 5% after $6500. I don't know anyone who spends $6500 a year on gas. 1 or 1.5% on less than $6500.
The American Express SimplyCash Business Card does not have the $6,500 restriction. My only problem with this offer is that I find it difficult to find gasoline stations with competitive prices which accept American Express credit cards.

Everyone has a business. Just give it a name. Amex does not ask you about your revenue, and you just enter your social security number for tax i.d.

You can find this card with a $60 cash bonus for successfully applying on the Free Cards page of my website below.
Old Nov 3, 2007, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by medic
costco give 5% back at all gas station for business account holders
This is correct except that it does not apply for gas purchased from a few locations (such as at Sam's Club gas stations). They do disclose this.

I think they also put in a limit for the amount of gas purchased at a time, but it's a pretty high amount that would not apply to individuals.

Otherwise, I'm getting the 5% back on the Costco Amex like clockwork.
Old Nov 3, 2007, 3:59 pm

Wirelessly posted (Treo 700p Sprint: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D052; Blazer/4.5) 16;320x320)

As posted above, Amex True Earnings Business Costco card 5% on gas, 3% on restaurants and 2% on travel plus 1% on everything else. I just love that card
Old Nov 18, 2007, 2:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat, Alaska 75k, IHG Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
This is correct except that it does not apply for gas purchased from a few locations (such as at Sam's Club gas stations). They do disclose this.
Yes, but happily it DOES apply at Costco's own gas stations (which other 5% back gas offers tend to exclude).

I think they also put in a limit for the amount of gas purchased at a time, but it's a pretty high amount that would not apply to individuals.
They just put out a new insert on this, clarifying the benefit. IIRC you can't do more than 75 gallons at a time (LOL), and it's supposed to be used for "retail" purposes.

I can easily see truck drivers filling their rigs with their cards, then getting reimbursed and pocketing the 5%. It was probably such practices that spawned this "clarification".
Old Nov 25, 2007, 5:05 am

Originally Posted by DaveH

I can easily see truck drivers filling their rigs with their cards, then getting reimbursed and pocketing the 5%. It was probably such practices that spawned this "clarification".
Truckers don't use credit cards for fuel. Truck stops charge a higher fuel price for credit card payments. They use a form of cash card (comdata, efs etc.)
Old Nov 25, 2007, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by Danger Man
The search engine stinks now. It won't let you search for 5% or even gas. So I have to ask the question that has probably been asked before.
The IB Beta version DOES allow three letter searches. I just did on for 'gas' and it worked fine. However, '5%*' did not work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.