Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who has a great Gas Rebate credit card?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2007, 11:33 am

Location: SFO, SJC, OAK, LVK AA Lifetime Plat 2MM, LUV A-List, Hyatt Gold, SPG Lifetime Gold, Commercial Pilot (not employed by airlines)
Originally Posted by DaveH
Yes, but happily it DOES apply at Costco's own gas stations (which other 5% back gas offers tend to exclude).
I think we are getting two cards confused here. There is the Costco Biz card, which gives 5% back on gas purchased ONLY at Costco (plus 3% dining, 2% travel, 1% everything else--as someone else mentioned).

Then, there is also the Amex Simply Cash Biz card which gives 5% at gas stations not associates with Warehouses (like Costco) or Supermarkets. This one also gives you 5% back on wireless services and at office supply stores. Since I get most of my gas at Safeway this doesn't help me much.

Both of the cards above also give 5% open savings (Fed Ex, Kinkos, Hertz, Marriot, etc. Plus some lower savings on other partners).

My wife uses a Chase Rewards card that gives her 5% on Gas & Groceries. I just checked their website and I do not see it listed so this may have been discontinued. I am using a Citibank AA MC which is giving me 5 miles per dollar for a year (they bribed me with that to keep the card when I called to cancel it) Normally I would do the 5% cash but I want to get to 2 MM ASAP on AA and get that lifetime Plat thing out of the way (at 1.6 now).
Old Nov 25, 2007, 3:14 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA 1MM
Originally Posted by pushback

My wife uses a Chase Rewards card that gives her 5% on Gas & Groceries. I just checked their website and I do not see it listed so this may have been discontinued. I am using a Citibank AA MC which is giving me 5 miles per dollar for a year (they bribed me with that to keep the card when I called to cancel it) Normally I would do the 5% cash but I want to get to 2 MM ASAP on AA and get that lifetime Plat thing out of the way (at 1.6 now).
very nice! 5 miles for all purchase or gas only?
If for all purchases, then it's unheard of.
Old Nov 25, 2007, 3:29 pm

Location: SFO, SJC, OAK, LVK AA Lifetime Plat 2MM, LUV A-List, Hyatt Gold, SPG Lifetime Gold, Commercial Pilot (not employed by airlines)
Originally Posted by curious_miles
very nice! 5 miles for all purchase or gas only?
If for all purchases, then it's unheard of.
The 5 miles is only on Gas, Groceries, and Drug Stores, I think.
Old Nov 25, 2007, 3:36 pm

The 5 miles is only on Gas, Groceries, and Drug Stores, I think.
Yeah, that's what I thought. Sounds too good otherwise. Did you buy a lot of gift cards in grocery stores lately?
Old Nov 25, 2007, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
I think we are getting two cards confused here. There is the Costco Biz card, which gives 5% back on gas purchased ONLY at Costco (plus 3% dining, 2% travel, 1% everything else--as someone else mentioned).
This is not correct.

Here is the language on the Costco Business Amex (TrueEarnings card) gasoline rebate, cut-and-pasted from the link off Costco's website:

"Rebates are awarded annually in the form of an in-store coupon redeemable for cash or merchandise at any U.S. Costco Warehouse. Each Eligible Purchase shall qualify for a Rebate of 5, 3, 2 or 1%, as follows: 5% for purchases of automobile gas (effective December 01, 2007, any individual Purchase transaction in excess of 75 gallons or equivalent dollar value will not be deemed to be a Purchase of automobile gasoline) at Costco Gasoline and domestic stand-alone gas stations, excluding gas purchased at warehouse clubs other than Costco, superstores or supermarkets....."

http://www.costco.com/Service/Featur...uctNo=11240876
Old Nov 25, 2007, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
This is not correct.

Here is the language on the Costco Business Amex (TrueEarnings card) gasoline rebate, cut-and-pasted from the link off Costco's website:

"Rebates are awarded annually in the form of an in-store coupon redeemable for cash or merchandise at any U.S. Costco Warehouse. Each Eligible Purchase shall qualify for a Rebate of 5, 3, 2 or 1%, as follows: 5% for purchases of automobile gas (effective December 01, 2007, any individual Purchase transaction in excess of 75 gallons or equivalent dollar value will not be deemed to be a Purchase of automobile gasoline) at Costco Gasoline and domestic stand-alone gas stations, excluding gas purchased at warehouse clubs other than Costco, superstores or supermarkets....."

http://www.costco.com/Service/Featur...uctNo=11240876
Ah! Right you are. I guess since I get my gas mostly at Safeway this is a nuance I just blanked out on, but I have a couple of road trips coming up so I will have to be sure to use the Costco card when I am not at a Safeway. Thanks!
Old Nov 26, 2007, 4:56 am

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
The Amex Blue Cash required spend is $6500 in ANY purchase, not just gas, to get to the 5% level for gas, grocery and drug store and 1.5% everywhere else.
Old Nov 26, 2007, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by tev9999
The Amex Blue Cash required spend is $6500 in ANY purchase, not just gas, to get to the 5% level for gas, grocery and drug store and 1.5% everywhere else.
You're right. Amex used to have a very nice reward structure, but not any more. Even without the $6500 tier, citi amex plat wins over amex blue cash. My 3 favorites are all from citi. Amex is no more in my wallet including the amex starwood.

citi amex plat: 3 to 5 points per dollar
citi AA 3 kinds: 2 AA miles per dollar
citi mtvU: I love this, I love this so much that I don't want to tell the details. This card is very unique in that you can get any other card if you have a good credit and good income including Centurion, Chairman etc. This is so good that some people even think about going back to school just to get this card.
Old Nov 26, 2007, 11:39 am

Programs: US CP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by tayd
Two that my wife and I have and use:

Pentagon Federal Credit Union (PenFed) has 5% cash back from gas purchases (at the pump, otherwise it's 1.25%) for their Visa Platinum Rewards card. Note that membership requirements apply; you can even qualify by joining NMFA for $20 without even being in the military.

https://www.penfed.org/productsAndRa...ewardCards.asp

I use the penfed card with no issues. Penfed is a great financial organization with very competitive rates on auto and home loans.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 3:53 pm

discovercard gas question

Does discovercard pay 5% on sam's club gas?
Old Aug 28, 2009, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by chauming
Does discovercard pay 5% on sam's club gas?
FWIW, Amex's Blue Cash (5% on Gas) does not give 5% back on Costco Gas. It puts it in the "Wholesale Club" category which gets 1.25%.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 4:26 pm

I also have the PenFed visa, although I usually only use it when traveling overseas (cash rebate offsets the 1% currency conversion fee with a little left over).

On the discover card, I don't have personal experience but there is a good chance that Sams Club and Costco don't qualify for the 5% on gas. Also, the 5% may be limited to purchases of first $100 in gas/auto maintenance purchases each month?
Old Aug 30, 2009, 11:50 pm

Exxon

I am using Exxon Mobil SpeedPass. 15cents per gallon. I have had so many gas cards for long, but this is my best choice. I used to love Discover Miles to Go, which gave me 5% rebate, but only up to $5.00 every month. I hope they will remove the restriction.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 9:14 pm

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
Chase bp Visa - 10%/4%/2% cash back on Gas (at BP)/Travel+Dining/Anything first 60 days; 5%/2%/1% afterwards.

My guess is that it is churnable.

I've only recently figured out the 10% promo, and it is excellent for me because a nearby BP usually has the lowest prices in 100-150 mile area

And the 4% travel bonus is good for airfare purchases, hotel bookings, etc.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by Mr. Bean

My guess is that it is churnable.
Chase cards are not churnable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.