Old Feb 14, 2020, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravelinSperry
HSBC (USA) Premier has eleven airline transfer partners, and two hotel chain partners. Cards issued in other countries may have different partners and transfer ratios

ONE WORLD
British Airways (Avios) 1:25:1
Iberia (Avios) 1:25:1
Qantas 1:1
Qatar Airways (Avios) 1.25:1

SKYTEAM
Flying Blue 1.25:1

STAR
Avianca 1.25:1
Eva Air 1.25:1
TAP Portugal 1:1
Turkish 1.25:1

INDEPENDENT
Aer Lingus (Avios) 1:25:1
Emirates 1:1

HOTELS
Accor 2:1
Wyndham 1.25:1
Print Wikipost

HSBC Premier World MasterCard

Old Jul 18, 2017, 8:42 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Card layout isn't as simple as it might seen. Turns out that MasterCard has a standard for displaying the EMVCo Contactless Indicator on a card.

Cards must include the EMVCo
Contactless Indicator
1. The issuer must submit card design
proofs for review and approval as part
of the Mastercard required card design
approval process.
2. Always use approved artwork for the
Contactless Indicator. No other artwork
may be used. Sufficient contrast with
the background must be maintained.
3. The Contactless Indicator may be placed
on the card front or back; placement on
the card front is a highly recommended
best practice.
Basic standards include:
Minimum size on cards
The Contactless Indicator must be
at least 7.0 mm (0.28) high
Color
The Contactless Indicator must appear
in a solid color that provides the best
color contrast and legibility against
the selected background color. Optimal
colors include black, white, gray, or
other neutral colors.
Minimum clear space
The minimum clear space around all
four sides of the Indicator should be
equal to the full height of the second
semicircle from the left.
https://brand.mastercard.com/brandce...ml#contactless
Old Jul 18, 2017, 9:24 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by tmiw
It makes sense if you're thinking it'll become common enough that it won't matter either way. Or if there's a possibility that people won't sign up for your card because the logo's obvious on marketing materials, but then again, HSBC actually does mention the contactless feature (albeit deep inside a PDF linked from the website).
Huh? Who cares?
Old Jul 18, 2017, 9:35 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by mikesyr18
Huh? Who cares?
More than a few people believe that contactless card (and passport) details are vulnerable to theft by persons using high powered chip readers. Hence the market for special wallets, just search "rfid blocking wallets".
Old Jul 18, 2017, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Huh? Who cares?
Apparently enough people such that some banks actually have had to mention that their "new" chip cards don't have the feature. Whether it's because people don't actually want it or not is the question.

Originally Posted by mia
Card layout isn't as simple as it might seen. Turns out that MasterCard has a standard for displaying the EMVCo Contactless Indicator on a card.

https://brand.mastercard.com/brandce...ml#contactless
Interestingly my replacement Diners Club card that I received recently still has the old PayPass logo on the back. Maybe it's grandfathered in?
Old Jul 18, 2017, 9:44 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat Pro, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
That has been my argument before and people have disagreed with it.

Not really understanding this new "fad" of putting the contactless logo on the back of the cards... Especially AMEX who puts theirs on the bottom corner of some of them.

I think the new trend looks stupid.
I don't care about "looks" but rather usability. I fear (and this is a problem I haven't seen yet since my current card has the wifi symbol on the front) that waitstaff won't see it.

Originally Posted by mia
I don't see how this is a problem. If you don't want to sign the chargeslip, hand the card to the waiter with the contactless logo visible.
I could try that. Assuming the mastercard logo is also on the back, that may solve the problem. Still - if I must hand the card with the back showing so they can see the wifi symbol... why place it there? I mean if the symbol is pertinent info for the waitstaff and/or counter staff, why hide it? Ridiculous imo.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 9:45 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by mia
More than a few people believe that contactless card (and passport) details are vulnerable to theft by persons using high powered chip readers. Hence the market for special wallets, just search "rfid blocking wallets".
At least in America, I find that people don't even notice the logo or know what it means.

Once again, everyone else has to suffer because there's a few nutty people out there.

I could try that. Assuming the mastercard logo is also on the back, that may solve the problem. Still - if I must hand the card with the back showing so they can see the wifi symbol... why place it there? I mean if the symbol is pertinent info for the waitstaff and/or counter staff, why hide it? Ridiculous imo.
I bet the waiter flips the card over the "correct" way once you hand the card to them.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 9:57 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat Pro, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres

I bet the waiter flips the card over the "correct" way once you hand the card to them.
Agreed. That was exactly my thought as well. Still, I guess I'll try it and see what happens.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Agreed. That was exactly my thought as well. Still, I guess I'll try it and see what happens.
I keep telling myself to keep contactless knowledge to myself and don't let the ignorance of the "average person" get to me... You should just follow my advice and not worry about it. Our country is doomed when it comes to contactless technology. The media, merchant cheapness, and the resistance against progress here makes any positive change extremely difficult.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 8:49 pm

No New Application for Canadian HSBC Premier World MasterCard

The Canadian HSBC Premier World MasterCard is no longer offered to new applicants.

Not sure what the HSBC Canadian branch is doing next. Probably just the regular Premier MasterCard.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 9:18 am

New HSBC Canada Premier World Elite MasterCard

HSBC Canada has recently introduced a new Premier World Elite MasterCard. It has many new good features including NO FOREIGN EXCHANGE FEE. Marriott Visa issued by JP Morgan Chase was previously the only Canadian $ credit card that offerred NFEF. The Amazon card is no longer accepting new applicant.

http://www.hsbc.ca/1/2/personal/bank...it-cards/pwemc

Attached Images  
Old Sep 1, 2017, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by Clipper801
HSBC Canada has recently introduced a new Premier World Elite MasterCard. It has many new good features including NO FOREIGN EXCHANGE FEE. Marriott Visa issued by JP Morgan Chase was previously the only Canadian $ credit card that offerred NFEF. The Amazon card is no longer accepting new applicant.

http://www.hsbc.ca/1/2/personal/bank...it-cards/pwemc

Woah! I hope I still get those travel benefits with the regular Premier MasterCard.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by cuto
Woah! I hope I still get those travel benefits with the regular Premier MasterCard.
See my earlier post #398 above if yours is issued by HSBC Canada.

The "benefits" of HSBC Premier MasterCards vary from country to country.

I understand the Uber offer has been withdrawn.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 2:19 am

Originally Posted by Clipper801
See my earlier post #398 above if yours is issued by HSBC Canada.

The "benefits" of HSBC Premier MasterCards vary from country to country.

I understand the Uber offer has been withdrawn.
Ya, I'm in Canada too. It was sad to see the Uber thing go soon after it was announced.
​​​​
Old Sep 4, 2017, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by cuto
Ya, I'm in Canada too. It was sad to see the Uber thing go soon after it was announced.
​​​​
If you have charged $600 or more for an air ticket from an eligible airline between June 30, 2017 to September 30, 2017, you will receive $25 statement credit in lieu of the Uber discount code.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 9:08 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Several of my own making in which I was recently fast-tracked to super-duper-ber-elite status
Just got a mailer announcing enhancements to the US card:

2x rewards on travel purchases (airlines, hotels and cruises)
TSA Pre application fee reimbursement (no mention of Global Entry)
$50 annual credit for Uber or Lyft rides ($10/ride)
Free Boingo wi-fi access
Free 2-day shipping via shoprunner.com
10% discount on hotel stays through Expedia, Agoda, or onefinestay

Continuing benefits include no FTF and contactless.

Not sure I can get excited about any of the new benefits. 2x travel rewards and free boingo might come in handy every blue moon.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.