HSBC Premier World MasterCard

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 14, 20, 6:22 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: mia
Wiki Link
HSBC (USA) Premier has seven 1:1 airline transfer partners. Cards issued in other countries may have different partners and transfer ratios

ONE WORLD
British Airways (Avios)
Iberia (Avios)

SKYTEAM
AeroMexico

STAR
Singapore Airlines

INDEPENDENT
Aer Lingus (Avios)
Emirates
Jet Airways

Print Wikipost

Old Oct 12, 19, 4:48 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Several of my own making in which I was recently fast-tracked to super-duper-über-elite status
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry View Post
Ridiculous that they'd even promote it as a new benefit since you are correct, it's a straight statement credit redemption.
My thought exactly.

Plus, apparently you have to call them and talk to their very lame customer service to get this "benefit", as opposed to just doing a straight statement credit online. Have to wonder who thought this up.
Old Oct 19, 19, 6:34 pm

I've got HSBC Premier UK and Expat(Jersey). not because I have the 100k but just as a benefit from my employer.
I don't have a US SSN but I do have BoA account by using passport.

Does it mean I can just walk-in to US HSBC and open Premier account? are they going to ask for US SSN ?
Old Oct 19, 19, 6:59 pm

Hoping for answers to two questions. Points redeemed for travel are worth 1.25c? Does the 20% uber discount apply to uber eats or uber cash?

TYIA. There is very little information about this card available and much of it appears to be outdated.

Last edited by xov91; Oct 20, 19 at 8:07 am
Old Oct 19, 19, 11:35 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Several of my own making in which I was recently fast-tracked to super-duper-über-elite status
Originally Posted by lxitixl View Post
I've got HSBC Premier UK and Expat(Jersey). not because I have the 100k but just as a benefit from my employer.
I don't have a US SSN but I do have BoA account by using passport.

Does it mean I can just walk-in to US HSBC and open Premier account? are they going to ask for US SSN ?
When I opened a UK account as a US Premier, I had to go through the International Department in the US to start the UK application. So I don’t think you can just walk in and open a US account. Your best bet is to talk to your local Premier exec and initiate through them.
mia likes this.
Old Oct 19, 19, 11:43 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by xov91 View Post
Hoping for answers to two questions. Points redeemed for travel are worth 1.25c? Does the 20% uber discount apply to uber eats or cash?

TYIA. There is very little information about this card available and much of it appears to be outdated.
Yes on the first question. You have to call in to have the credit applied to a posted travel charge.

Don’t know about Uber Eats, but you have to charge to the card to get the discount, so it wouldn’t apply to cash payments.
Old Oct 20, 19, 5:03 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by stanj View Post
....wouldn’t apply to cash payments.
I believe xov91 is asking if HSBC will reimburse purchases of Uber Cash.
Old Oct 20, 19, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by mia View Post
Yes, exactly. Sorry if that wasn't clear.
Old Oct 20, 19, 9:54 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by xov91 View Post
Yes, exactly. Sorry if that wasn't clear.
In that case, I don't know. I think the terms state you get the cashback when you pay for "rides," which sounds like it would preclude purchases of Uber Cash. Guess it depends on whether they differentiate payments for rides vs cash when the charge is processed.
xov91 likes this.
Old Oct 20, 19, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton ♢, IHG Plat, Hyatt Disc, Radisson Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by stanj View Post
In that case, I don't know. I think the terms state you get the cashback when you pay for "rides," which sounds like it would preclude purchases of Uber Cash. Guess it depends on whether they differentiate payments for rides vs cash when the charge is processed.
I don't see why it wouldn't work when you use Uber Cash for a ride... but likely not the purchase of the cash initially.
Old Oct 20, 19, 6:11 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

The 20% cashback is triggered by an Uber or Lyft charge to the credit card, it shows up as a Rideshare Benefit credit. Using Uber Cash for payment wouldn't process as a charge and wouldn't trigger the cashback. Never having bought Uber Cash, I don't know how the charge shows up when processed. The charge for rides and tip process as Uber Technologies--it doesn't seem to specify that it was a ride, so maybe purchase of Uber Cash would trigger the cashback. If it does, it's a good way to use up the full benefit each year.
Old Oct 20, 19, 9:19 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
I recently opened a HSBC Premier account. Looking over these cards they seem lackluster. Am I right to assume:
  • HSBC Premier World Mastercard credit card can be worthwhile since the AF is waived but isn't anything to write home about.
  • HSBC Premier World Elite Mastercard credit card most likely not worth it.
  • The travel portal and card management interface has limited functionality and looks like its from the 2000s.
Old Oct 23, 19, 7:12 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by lxitixl View Post
Is £100k the required minimum now?
Old Oct 23, 19, 7:31 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by ExpatExp View Post
Is £100k the required minimum now?
Mainland UK requirement is less:
Attached Images  
ExpatExp likes this.
Old Oct 23, 19, 3:29 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton ♢, IHG Plat, Hyatt Disc, Radisson Gold, Hertz PC
Mainland UK requirement is less:
Correct. And if you hold both US and UK you can change primary acct to UK so US HSBC Premier stays qualified as Premier through your HSBC UK account (which only requires ~$65,000 US dollars, as of today's exchange rate). Allows ~$35k in monies to go elsewhere and seek higher interest rates or other investments. Although HSBC Direct at 2.05% in the USA isn't a terrible place to keep the monies.
ExpatExp likes this.
Old Oct 23, 19, 4:59 pm

Some companies will give employees HSBC premier as a benefit without any requirement as long as you bank with them

Search this Thread
Search Engine: