Wiki Posts
Search

Saks Fifth Avenue World Elite Mastercard

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2007, 1:00 am

Originally Posted by TAHKUCT
Impressive World Elite Mastercard

Enjoy.
Interestingly this card has the shortest expiration date of any of my cards. It only gives me a year to use it. I guess they're seeing how they do with this card before giving people multi-year accounts..
Old Apr 28, 2007, 5:03 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Wall Street Journal artcle published April 26 Posh Retailers Pile on Perks for Top Customers summarizes loyalty program updates by Nordstrom, Saks, Neiman/Bergdorf, Bloomingdales, and Barneys. All are tied to their credit card, but primarily based on purchases from their own stores.

...growing emphasis by luxury retailers on getting a "greater share of wallet" from their 100,000 or 200,000 top spenders, rather than trying to attract new customers. With department stores overall losing market share, their goal is to increase the profits generated by their best customers. At Neiman Marcus, for instance, the top 100,000 customers each spend more than $12,000 a year at the store, while other shoppers spend an average of about $600....the more than 100,000 shoppers in its In Circle loyalty program spent $1.3 billion last year, accounting for almost half of its business...It's also testing a credit card that lets shoppers earn points on dollars spent outside Neiman stores

Nordstrom restructured its program following six months of focus-group study and surveys. Its conclusion: People are less interested in discounts and more interested in perks, such as attending Nordstrom grand opening celebrations, being pampered during private shopping parties, concierge services and free alterations and shipping.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1177...N=wsjie/6month
Old Apr 28, 2007, 8:35 am

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat, Merrill+, Citi AMEX Chairman
I have never really thought about Saks rewards. I earn Saks Rewards and get gift cards through my American Express. Frankly, I never understood the AMEX Saks benefit very well. What does WEMC offer beyond AMEX?
Old Apr 28, 2007, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by awake
I have never really thought about Saks rewards. I earn Saks Rewards and get gift cards through my American Express. Frankly, I never understood the AMEX Saks benefit very well. What does WEMC offer beyond AMEX?
I never did either. Looks like HSBC and MasterCard have pulled ahead. For one you can earn Saks gift cards based on all your spending on the card, not just Saks spending. I think the Amex is only for Saks spending, unless of course your use memebrship rewards points for Saks gift cards, but I don;t think that was the main benefit of the Amex Plt.

It is almost as if you had used the Saks Amex Plt benefit, you get more value if you used Saks World Elite MasterCard, and ditch the Amex Plt. for Saks purchases.
Old Apr 28, 2007, 9:47 am
mia

We do not shop at Saks, but my understanding is that if you use American Express Platinum or Centurion at Saks you earn one Membership Rewards point per dollar plus one SaksFirst point; but that's all, you do not earn any credit toward the status levels in SaksFirst. If you use a Saks card (including the World Elite Mastercard) you earn two SaksFirst points per dollar, up to $5,000 but then you earn more as explained here...

https://www.saksfifthavenue.com/Saks...t_to_point.jsp

The Saks elite levels, which are based stictly on spending at Saks with a Saks card, are explained here..

https://www.saksfifthavenue.com/Saks...s_overview.jsp

The benefits of the World Elite Mastercard which are unrelated to Saks are explained here...

https://www.saksfifthavenue.com/Saks...e_benefits.jsp
Old Apr 28, 2007, 10:33 am

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat, Merrill+, Citi AMEX Chairman
Originally Posted by mia
We do not shop at Saks, but my understanding is that if you use American Express Platinum or Centurion at Saks you earn one Membership Rewards point per dollar plus one SaksFirst point; but that's all, you do not earn any credit toward the status levels in SaksFirst. If you use a Saks card (including the World Elite Mastercard) you earn two SaksFirst points per dollar, up to $5,000 but then you earn more as explained here...

https://www.saksfifthavenue.com/Saks...t_to_point.jsp

The Saks elite levels, which are based stictly on spending at Saks with a Saks card, are explained here..

https://www.saksfifthavenue.com/Saks...s_overview.jsp

The benefits of the World Elite Mastercard which are unrelated to Saks are explained here...

https://www.saksfifthavenue.com/Saks...e_benefits.jsp
Thanks Dennis. I did not realize that you could not earn Saks status with AMEX. I had never really thought about Saks status until I saw the WEMC. I just knew that I got gift cards through the AMEX/Saks relationship.
Old Apr 28, 2007, 10:45 am
mia

Originally Posted by awake
...did not realize that you could not earn Saks status with AMEX.
I hope I'm right . I recall investigating the Saks and Neiman programs at the time I registered my Platinum card with both, and I'm pretty sure Saks is the one that merely awarded points. Mrs Mia favors Nordstrom with her business, and it doesn't really mater what is on offer at the others. We may consider the Nordstrom Signature VISA (1% foreign currency fee) now that Merrill+ has added a 2% fee.
Old Apr 28, 2007, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IMHO NM is better than saks - their awards are great, and include UA and AA transfers, as well as offering bonus opportunities regularly. (plus when you reach thresholds you get additional benefits / awards)

amex gets you NM point + MR point.

saks points only get you saks GC.
Old Apr 28, 2007, 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by TAHKUCT
First, I would check to make sure you have received World Elite Mastercard and not Platinum (it says on the front of the card, otherwise the cards look identical) They have been known to issue a lot of Platinum which do not come with those benefits.

Also Welcome to Saks credit card customer service. If you have not found this out, you probably will realize that your card is actually 2 cards in one. Saks charge with it's benefits and HSBC Mascercard with it's benefits. PP is actually the benefit of Mastercard as far as I know, so I would call HSBC directly.

I have found that Saks customer service is terrible and not even worth dealing with and as for World Elite Mastercard, HSBC does not have that great of customer service either.

Even though some of the benefits are good, we had to cancel our account because we could not get right answers or answers received form either customer service reps did not coincide with T&C listed.

I also think it is ridiculous to get 2 statements for one card (makes things more confusing then they are already)

Welcome to Saks World Elite!!!
The reason for the sorry customer service is because Saks sold out it's credit card operation several years ago to Household Bank (SUPER LOUSEY SERVICE) which became HSBC (SAME SUPER LOUSEY SERVICE).
Old May 9, 2007, 10:27 pm

I just got my Priority Pass membership card, a couple weeks after getting my actual Saks card. It expires in two years and came with the letter informing me of the $24 charge per visit and per guest. Still, as a bonus to a credit card without an annual fee I'm quite satisfied and I think with my pattern of lounge use it'll still cost less to pay per visit than buy a membership.
Old May 11, 2007, 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by Lurker1999
I just got my Priority Pass membership card, a couple weeks after getting my actual Saks card. It expires in two years and came with the letter informing me of the $24 charge per visit and per guest. Still, as a bonus to a credit card without an annual fee I'm quite satisfied and I think with my pattern of lounge use it'll still cost less to pay per visit than buy a membership.
Ditto for me on everything you said. Well put! ^
Old Jun 30, 2007, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: On a collision course with Kettledom
I've used the Priority Pass twice now (at Alaska lounges), I've yet to see a charge show up on my Saks card. The first time was 6 weeks ago.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 10:58 am

I got this card primarily for the free Priority Pass, which I received, IIRC, about a month after the card. I figure it's nice to have, just in case, especially if it doesn't cost me anything. There is also apparently some sort of concierge service, though I haven't used it.

Recently, they randomly sent me a free $25 gift card to Saks, even though I rarely use the account (it's my backup card for where Amex isn't accepted). So far, so good.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by opus17
I've used the Priority Pass twice now (at Alaska lounges), I've yet to see a charge show up on my Saks card. The first time was 6 weeks ago.
I am glad to hear that you do not have a charge yet. They must charge your card at the time of visit. This is my understanding. I guess the agent at Alaska lounge did not put it through.

Keep us posted if you will get charged.
Old Jul 1, 2007, 8:13 pm

Programs: CO Onepass, Amex MR
I would say this is one of the better no fee cards to pick up in terms of benefits. Ive used the concierge service alot. The women in their call center are a gem. The virtuoso service gives benefits for using their version of FHR. The benefits arent amazing and they vary by property but the properties are all rather high end.

Also, it appears that saks is giving double pts this month. All in all, a good card especially with the priority pass. I use it when amex isnt accepted or where the saks card is preferred.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.