Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Credit Card Churning

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2006, 9:26 am

Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred
Originally Posted by CMHFlyerOH
The time you would have to wait all depends on the credit card. From my experience (and from reading other posts on this topic, per the search function, as the previous poster recommends) these are the time frames you must wait before being able to apply for a new card.

American Express (Delta, Starwood, etc.): Can't churn these cards. Only one signup bonus allowed.

Citibank (AA): 8 weeks

Chase (CO, BA, UA): 6 weeks

US Bank (NW): Can't churn these cards. Only one signup bonus allowed.

Bank of America (US): ??
Bank of America (US): 30 days
Old Aug 4, 2006, 12:06 pm

Programs: American, United
I was able to churn Citibank with no delay. About to do it again.

As a side note, my domestic partner (of 19 years) and I are getting a new home equity line of credit. Because of that, the lender gave us our credit scores. Here's the strange stuff: he got a 756, I got a 716. 99% of every credit we have is in both names, so I don't understand how I got 40 points lower. (Could it be my card churning????) There are only two differences in our credit behaviour -- I took a capital one card at zero percent for balance transfer, and moved $30,000 from my 9% home equity line to the capital one card. That one is in my name only. And two churns for Citibank that are in my name only. Other than that, both names are on everything.

The list of things that the report says adversly affected my rating were (in this order

1. Too many accounts with balances. BOGUS. I have 3 credit cards with balances, two of them get paid in full each month, the other is at zero percent.

2. No recent revolving balances. I suppose this is true -- I pay it off each month. I suppose they would like me to not do that. And my cars are paid off, etc. Only one home mortgage and one credit card @ 0% don't get paid off each month.

3. Length of time accounts have been established -- well if the new citibank cards are a factor, then I guess this is true. But it seems like the negative aspect of this should go away when I close the account... And the original Citibank card (which is the one I actually use) has been around for many many years.

4. Too many accounts recently opened -- TRUE, but they are being closed as fast as they are opened.

So I guess the churning IS hurting my score a little. Oh well, for 25,000 miles I'm willing to take a little hit on my credit score. Does anyone know if CLOSING accounts will delete the adverse effect of recently opening the accounts?
Old Aug 4, 2006, 12:20 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, AA Plat.
Originally Posted by srallen
I was able to churn Citibank with no delay. About to do it again.

As a side note, my domestic partner (of 19 years) and I are getting a new home equity line of credit. Because of that, the lender gave us our credit scores. Here's the strange stuff: he got a 756, I got a 716. 99% of every credit we have is in both names, so I don't understand how I got 40 points lower. (Could it be my card churning????) There are only two differences in our credit behaviour -- I took a capital one card at zero percent for balance transfer, and moved $30,000 from my 9% home equity line to the capital one card. That one is in my name only. And two churns for Citibank that are in my name only. Other than that, both names are on everything.

The list of things that the report says adversly affected my rating were (in this order

1. Too many accounts with balances. BOGUS. I have 3 credit cards with balances, two of them get paid in full each month, the other is at zero percent.

2. No recent revolving balances. I suppose this is true -- I pay it off each month. I suppose they would like me to not do that. And my cars are paid off, etc. Only one home mortgage and one credit card @ 0% don't get paid off each month.

3. Length of time accounts have been established -- well if the new citibank cards are a factor, then I guess this is true. But it seems like the negative aspect of this should go away when I close the account... And the original Citibank card (which is the one I actually use) has been around for many many years.

4. Too many accounts recently opened -- TRUE, but they are being closed as fast as they are opened.

So I guess the churning IS hurting my score a little. Oh well, for 25,000 miles I'm willing to take a little hit on my credit score. Does anyone know if CLOSING accounts will delete the adverse effect of recently opening the accounts?

I am in a simular positio. My score is about 40 points lower than SO. I also churn AAdantage cards. They have a revolving credit limit.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...citi+revolving
Old Aug 4, 2006, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond

As has been said in other threads, churning will hurt your score by about 30 or so points. Sounds like your case is right in line with that.

Also, just because you close an account does not mean that it goes off your credit report. Even closed accounts stay on your report for a minimum of 2 years.
Old Aug 4, 2006, 7:28 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
[QUOTE=anaggie]then this will hardly place a dent as long as you do not go crazy

QUOTE]

define 'going crazy'...
Old Aug 7, 2006, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

I just signed up for and used a chase CO Mastercard for the first time. Now that I am about to get charged the annual fee i have called to cancel it. The CSR said that I wont get the miles, did i do something wrong or do they just not know? I am about to do the same with a citi HH visa card and dont want to make any mistakes again if I made one. Please help a newbie with churning. Thank you.
Old Aug 7, 2006, 5:13 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Rapid Rewards
Typically you need to wait until your miles actually post to your ff account before you cancel.

Originally Posted by dtm122380
I just signed up for and used a chase CO Mastercard for the first time. Now that I am about to get charged the annual fee i have called to cancel it. The CSR said that I wont get the miles, did i do something wrong or do they just not know? I am about to do the same with a citi HH visa card and dont want to make any mistakes again if I made one. Please help a newbie with churning. Thank you.
Old Aug 9, 2006, 6:42 am

Programs: AA Exp
[QUOTE=psychtobe]
Originally Posted by anaggie
then this will hardly place a dent as long as you do not go crazy

QUOTE]

define 'going crazy'...
Post number 5 here
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthrea...50#post6195850
Old Aug 9, 2006, 9:54 am

Programs: American, United
Typically you need to wait until your miles actually post to your ff account before you cancel.
On a related note, with Citibank the 25000 bonus miles plus the ??? miles I spent on a purchase credited to my AA miles 2 days after I made the purchase, way before the statement was issued or paid.
Old Aug 9, 2006, 10:59 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
[QUOTE=psychtobe]
then this will hardly place a dent as long as you do not go crazy

QUOTE]

define 'going crazy'...

4 cards in the same month...I usually do one every 2 months...so that I earn 100,000 - 120,000 miles in a year on AA just on bonuses...
Old Aug 10, 2006, 5:18 pm

Just churned another Aadvantage card...so that is now 2 cards within the last 4 months..not bad...45000mile earned...but the good thing is that with the Chairman Card you can consolidate credit lines which brings my total credit limit to 47000USD...

woohoo....am shooting for the 100,000USD mark....
Old Aug 10, 2006, 5:32 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Rapid Rewards
Just churned another Aadvantage card...so that is now 2 cards within the last 4 months..not bad...45000mile earned...but the good thing is that with the Chairman Card you can consolidate credit lines which brings my total credit limit to 47000USD...

woohoo....am shooting for the 100,000USD mark....
And since the Chairman card and other "no preset spending limit" cards don't report credit limits to the agencies you're golden!
Old Aug 10, 2006, 6:20 pm

And since the Chairman card and other "no preset spending limit" cards don't report credit limits to the agencies you're golden!

Exactly...since there is no preset spending limit, they do not let you charge like crazy but approve your decision based on your payment...this way with the high credit limit, the card will not declined for any big purchase...

Love this card !!!!
Old Aug 11, 2006, 12:24 am

Programs: UA
On a related note, with Citibank the 25000 bonus miles plus the ??? miles I spent on a purchase credited to my AA miles 2 days after I made the purchase, way before the statement was issued or paid.
My bonus miles and purchase miles were not credited until a day or two after the statement posted. YMMV I guess.
Old Aug 11, 2006, 12:53 pm

Citi AA Amex

Has anyone had success churning Cit AA Amex?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.