Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Is it normal for Barclay to ask for copies of social security, driver licence & bank?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is it normal for Barclay to ask for copies of social security, driver licence & bank?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2018, 9:03 am
Original Poster

My daughter recently moved out and applied for a Uber credit card. Since this is a new address, Barclay wants her to send a copy of her social security card, driver licence and bank statement.

Is this normal? I am pretty skeptical to send copies of these highly sensitive information to a P.O. Box address.

Does anyone encounter similar request? Please share,thanks!
Old Dec 11, 2018, 11:13 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Reported here in 2012:

Submit driver's license & social security card? Why?
Old Dec 11, 2018, 11:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Yes, something about her profile has tripped the bank's anti-fraud or anti-AML filters. Not worth worrying about other than assuring that it's not a fraud. I presume that she provided the data underlying the request in her application.

Before responding, I would call the customer service number (look it up, do not call the number on the email/letter she received) and assure that the request is not itself a fraud.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 3:55 pm

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
This can happen with Barclays, don't be alarmed.

It happened to me back in June. I was one of the fortunate people that was allowed to fax it in, but it seems most have to mail it in. The whole thing took a week or two and I was ultimately approved.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
Yes, something about her profile has tripped the bank's anti-fraud or anti-AML filters. Not worth worrying about other than assuring that it's not a fraud. I presume that she provided the data underlying the request in her application.

Before responding, I would call the customer service number (look it up, do not call the number on the email/letter she received) and assure that the request is not itself a fraud.

Yup, no matter what it is don't call back or click on the link provided by the mail/email you received if you have doubts on it's authenticity. Always independently look up the official phone number and or email address.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 1:32 pm

CC company asks for SS card Drivers license and bank statement

Has anyone had to submit these documents to their CC company? My CC company "failed" to verify me so they ask me to fax or send them copy of SS card, Driver's license and bank or utility statement. Does that sound legit? Has anyone done that?
Thanks.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 12:00 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Pninalizorkni
....My CC company "failed" to verify me so they ask me to fax or send ....
Welcome to Flyertalk.

Which bank? This is common if you have a "thin" credit file, recently moved, or if the bank cannot distinguish you from others with similar names.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 6:24 am

Programs: IHG, Marriot, Emirates
Originally Posted by Pninalizorkni
Has anyone had to submit these documents to their CC company? My CC company "failed" to verify me so they ask me to fax or send them copy of SS card, Driver's license and bank or utility statement. Does that sound legit? Has anyone done that?
Thanks.

This is Typical for Barclay. I faxed my SS card, driving license, and a bank statement and they still couldn't verify my address or any of my previous addresses. I have had the same address for the past 7 years and I have 12 years of credit history.

Funny thing is that I've never had any issues with Chase, Amex, Capital One, and Discover.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 6:12 pm

This stuff is all part of their "Know your customer" policies that they're required to have and follow by regulations (which are themselves mandated by the Patriot Act amongst others so sometimes you'll get agents saying they are required to do this by the Patriot Act which is not really true but kind of indirectly true). Some banks have more or less sensibly written policies and others have kind of insane policies which if you trigger are quite hellish to satisfy.

Chase in particular is one of the most annoying to try to satisfy. There's a huge long saga here on Flyertalk somewhere of someone who was caught in a Kafkaesque set of requirements he was never able to satisfy from Chase for months before he gave up. I can't find it at the moment but I'll add it if I can find it later.

Personally if it's at all convenient I would ask if you can visit a branch and present any documents they need there. That way you can bring extra docs and let them ask for whatever they want and also get a branch manager to sign off on a signature card and sign any copies they want to authenticate them etc . It seems the most likely to end up being a single iteration and faster than USPS.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 6:52 am

Nervous about sending these documents

Originally Posted by zkzkz
This stuff is all part of their "Know your customer" policies that they're required to have and follow by regulations (which are themselves mandated by the Patriot Act amongst others so sometimes you'll get agents saying they are required to do this by the Patriot Act which is not really true but kind of indirectly true). Some banks have more or less sensibly written policies and others have kind of insane policies which if you trigger are quite hellish to satisfy.

Chase in particular is one of the most annoying to try to satisfy. There's a huge long saga here on Flyertalk somewhere of someone who was caught in a Kafkaesque set of requirements he was never able to satisfy from Chase for months before he gave up. I can't find it at the moment but I'll add it if I can find it later.

Personally if it's at all convenient I would ask if you can visit a branch and present any documents they need there. That way you can bring extra docs and let them ask for whatever they want and also get a branch manager to sign off on a signature card and sign any copies they want to authenticate them etc . It seems the most likely to end up being a single iteration and faster than USPS.
I applied for a JetBlue credit card a month ago, and just received a letter from Barclays to send these documents by fax or by mail. After verifying that the letter was indeed sent by Barclays, I remain nervous about these documents falling into the wrong hands during transit. There is a Barclays branch in town, but the rep told me I must send the documents by fax or by mail. Is my concern valid? Any suggestions on how to send them more securely?

As an aside, why don't these banks ask for these documents BEFORE issuing their credit cards?
Old Nov 22, 2022, 7:19 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by getmethere
As an aside, why don't these banks ask for these documents BEFORE issuing their credit cards?
It happened with my parents with Citi, albeit slightly different. Two months after they opened a Citi Double Cash account, Citi called their home phone to verify it was actually them who opened the account. When asked, incredulous that they would wait that long to do a verification, the rep explained they noticed a spike in fraudulent account openings (where the applicant listed on the account didn't actually apply) and that their account met a potential pattern of fraud, and they wanted to be sure it was actually them who opened it.

The rep asked them to confirm last four of the account and verbally yes, that they opened it and that was that.

If Barclays is looping back asking for documentation after approval/issuance, I suspect it's something similar.
Old Dec 26, 2022, 5:32 pm

Programs: AA: Exec Plat; AC: 75K; JX: Explorer; HH: Dia; Bonvoy: Gold; Wyndham: Dia
Jumped through these hoops recently when applying for the Wyndham Business Earner card recently. Requested front and back copies of Driver's License and Soc Sec card and a utility statement. Faxed DL, SS, and FiOS bill. Fax of SS card was too dark; FiOS bill not accepted; wanted gas, electric, or water. Re-faxed SS card on higher resolution with gas/elec bill. SS card still too dark. Barclays requested copy of first page of 1040 as that is an official doc with my SSN. Faxed and finally approved. Ugh.
italdesign likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.