Merrill+ VISA [Consolidated]

Old May 10, 2017, 12:23 am

I'd say everything has changed for the Merrill card. Many on reddit received their cards, started spending and then bank cancelled them. I think the good ol' days with BOA are gone.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by stuntgoats
An FYI for anyone hoping to book flights on Air Tahiti (the airline that serves French Polynesia intra-island flights) using points and the Merrill Lynch Travel Center. It cannot be done via the website or by calling in. Both result in "No flights were found that match your search" error message. I found this to be odd since Air Tahiti is available from the preferred airline drop down menu.

Furthermore, Air Tahiti flights are bookable on the Orbitz website, which the Merril Lynch Travel site is part of the Orbitz Partner Network, but I'm guessing they are not created equal.

These flights are available with the Citi Thank You Points and Chase Ultimate Rewards. I have not checked other options.

so looks like there is no way to boo Air Tahiti flight with Merrill points?
Old Jul 11, 2017, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by lincoln boy
so looks like there is no way to boo Air Tahiti flight with Merrill points?
When searching any French Polynesia Intra-island flights via the Merrill Lynch Travel Center, I would get the error message "No flights were found that match your search. Please change one or more of your criteria and try again." I tried multiple dates of known flights/routes that show up on air tahiti, orbitz, expedia, etc.

When calling in, the agent gets the same error message. I was given the option of booking the flight and then getting a statement credit at a value of one cent per point, so it is technically possible to to use the Merrill Points on an Air Tahiti flight, but it's not the greatest option given that Merrill points can be good for up to two cents per point for other airlines.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by stuntgoats
When searching any French Polynesia Intra-island flights via the Merrill Lynch Travel Center, I would get the error message "No flights were found that match your search. Please change one or more of your criteria and try again." I tried multiple dates of known flights/routes that show up on air tahiti, orbitz, expedia, etc.

When calling in, the agent gets the same error message. I was given the option of booking the flight and then getting a statement credit at a value of one cent per point, so it is technically possible to to use the Merrill Points on an Air Tahiti flight, but it's not the greatest option given that Merrill points can be good for up to two cents per point for other airlines.

Thanks for the information! So basically doing what you described is the same thing as redeeming Merrill points as cash and using it to buy the ticket. 1 Merrill point = 1 cent. Like you said, it is not the greatest option but it is better than nothing especially when you don't have other currencies (e.g., Citi thankyou point, Chase UR point, or MR point) that allow you to book Air Tahiti flights.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 1:25 pm

For anyone interested in possibly product changing this card -- I was able to successfully PC mine into a BofA Travel Rewards card (with the intention of increasing my MS bandwidth as a Platinum Honors client). Took about 6 days from time of calling in to request being approved, and was told it will be another 2-4 weeks before new card arrives in mail.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 4:02 pm

Programs: AS MVP
what happens to points if card cancelled?

For people who have their card cancelled - do you lose all your points? or do you have a window to use them?
Old Jul 28, 2017, 10:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
I opened 3 cards in the last 6 weeks should I apply for this card or wait for the rumored premium card?
Old Jul 31, 2017, 11:44 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
Just applied in review
Old Aug 1, 2017, 7:36 am

Being shipped I guess I was approved
Old Aug 3, 2017, 1:29 am

How long should I wait in between applications for this card?
Old Aug 6, 2017, 9:04 am

What's the easiest way to cancel this card? I currently have 2, 1 with points remaining on it. Ideally I'd like to cancel the 1st one so I can get it again in a few months, but I don't want to run into any curious CSRs along the way.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 7:41 pm

I'm debating applying for this card. I read that the promo will probably discontinue Sept 18 or 10 (for what rumors are worth).

I understand that the first 25K is worth $500 to airfare and then .01/point thereafter.

But what if you book a ticket that costs over $1000?

Can you spend 50K points and get $1000 credit towards a ticket that costs over $1000?

And can you book almost any seat on almost any major airline?

Thanks.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by protagonist
I'm debating applying for this card. I read that the promo will probably discontinue Sept 18 or 10 (for what rumors are worth).

I understand that the first 25K is worth $500 to airfare and then .01/point thereafter.

But what if you book a ticket that costs over $1000?

Can you spend 50K points and get $1000 credit towards a ticket that costs over $1000?

And can you book almost any seat on almost any major airline?

Thanks.
The short answer is no. When you book one ticket (whether it's one way or round trip), only the first 25k points worth up to 2c/p. After that, it is only 1c/p.

However, I recently booked two tickets for family (same route booked at the same time). Each ticket is more than $500. To my surprise, the system automatically apply 27k points to each ticket (I have a total of 54k). So it effectively give me almost 2c/p value for the whole booking. I am really happy with it.

Last edited by MingCP3; Sep 8, 2017 at 7:35 pm
Old Sep 14, 2017, 1:12 pm

So I called up and asked for a plastic version of my Octave card and received what appears to be a redesign of the Merrill+ with only the name on the front and the numbers on the back. Pretty nifty.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by MDJennings
So I called up and asked for a plastic version of my Octave card and received what appears to be a redesign of the Merrill+ with only the name on the front and the numbers on the back. Pretty nifty.
Yea BofA is changing their cards the same way. Can you post a picture

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.