Shopping for VISA/MC

Old Oct 22, 00, 5:23 pm
Original Poster

Shopping for VISA/MC

Sorry, if this topic has been talked about before, but I am shopping for a VISA/MC which can give me "real" miles. I have a Priority Club card from FUSA, but the Points/Miles ratio is ridiclusly low. I have DC, which is great, but as y'all know not everyone accepts DC, so this turns to VISA/MC. I was interested in CO's Chase card (but long ago, I have pledged not to use Chase anymore) AA card looks alright but still looking, any ideas will be very helpful.

Al
Old Oct 23, 00, 12:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
I've been very happy with First USA's British Airways Platinum VISA. They waive the $65. annual fee for the first year, the interest rate is low (about 11.5% for me right now), the miles post instantly to my BAEC account on the closing date each month, and customer service has been fine. With BA miles you can book AA, HP, AS, QF, CX as well as BA which more than suits my needs.
Old Oct 23, 00, 7:24 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the info guys, anymore suggestions?
Old Oct 23, 00, 8:34 pm

Location: MCI. AA Plat, UA PrmEx., Mrrtt Gold, Hz Pres.Circle, HHonors Gold
About two weeks ago, I was going through the same dilemma - looking for a decent MC/Visa rewards card of some sorts - whether it provided "Type A" or "Type B" miles, I didn't care, as long as the ratio was worth it.

My conclusion was that for the best rewards outside of the GM Card, you're best off with Amex or DC. I've always heard that Amex and DC charge merchants more for transactions than MC/Visa, which might be why they can afford to do stuff like give away 75,000 Skymiles for $10,000 in purchases.

If you really feel like you need a good rewards MC/Visa, look for the airline card with the fattest signup bonus (NWA is throwing around some nice bonuses right now). Also, the NEA card looks pretty sweet if you (1) like "Type B" miles, and (2) don't mind the fact that you are *technically* supposed to be an NEA member to get the rewards (so far - this hasn't been a problem for people).

I keep a no-annual-fee Visa around for that rare case that I'm somewhere that doesn't take Amex. But for the real rewards, I will continue to use Amex or DC.
Old Oct 23, 00, 9:10 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond Starwood Gold Radisson Elite
I am with you afang. I just recently decided to jump on the FF bandwagon. I got a DC, but soon was upset that I wasn't getting any points for groceries, etc. that Diner's doesn't offer. Since these funds would come out of a checking account, I just signed up for the CompuBank ClickRewards debit card. It seems to be almost as good as Diner's, but without the 60 days to pay. I really don't want to fool with credit cards anyway. The charge and debit is better suited for my financial goals. I am waiting for the card to come in the mail. Once my account has been open 30 days and I am past all of the silly Federal Reserve holding rule, then I will start using it. I will report back on how it works.
Old Oct 23, 00, 9:31 pm
Original Poster

Thanks again for the wonderful info. DC is one of the best thing that I got recently, I have charged my travel arrangement with it to SF this thanksgiving
My situation right now is that if the place doesn't accept DC (which happens alot) I'll use my free Priority Club Visa, even though I don't like HIs but at least i am getting something.
AA's card looks tempting, NWA's card does also, but i think my future lies with AA not NWA. CO's 6k bonus is just average and as I said before, I do not care for Chase.
In conclusion, VISA/MC is kinda important, since everywhere accepts, so if you don't have a good reward card than you are getting nothing from the card,but these airline cards just cost too much, with the already annual fee of $80 for DC, who would want to spend another $85 (AA's card) and ponder on which one to use, it could be a big headache IMO.

Al
Old Oct 24, 00, 8:18 pm
Original Member

Programs: Standard Memberships in all the majors hotel, airlines and Amtrak.
See next message.

[This message has been edited by JustinCredible (edited 10-24-2000).]
Old Oct 24, 00, 8:19 pm
Original Member

Programs: Standard Memberships in all the majors hotel, airlines and Amtrak.
REVISED:

I agree with the above posts--- I primarily use my Starwood Amex or the Delta Amex.

However, I do carry a MC/VISA card for those other special occassions. Since I am getting Delta miles or using Starwood to get the 5,000 bonus points when I reach 20,000... I use a hotel card:

Marriott Rewards Platinum Visa
No fee first year
3 points for every $1 charged at Marriott

They also allow you to refer 3 people a quarter for the card with huge 5,000 point bonuses.

I think Marriott Courtyard is decent and you can stay three nights at most locations for a 28,000 reward... not bad if you get three people to join for a total of 15,000 bonus points.

E-Mail me if you are interested. I'll take the first three who join... someone else can have people 4-7, etc.

Thanks.
Old Oct 25, 00, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
Originally posted by JustinCredible:
Marriott Rewards Platinum Visa
No fee first year
3 points for every $1 charged at Marriott
Does Marriott give the option of earning miles instead of points, just like stays at the hotels? If so I would be interested...

Old Oct 25, 00, 4:15 pm

No they don't. And since you only get 1 Marriott Reward point for every dollar you charge outside of Marriott, you be charging a heluva lotta stuff before you see any free hotel rooms!

Mac

------------------
Via con Dios!
Old Oct 25, 00, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

Well, after couple days of researching, i think i am leaning towards AA's card, Continental is out of question because it is issued by Chase. I doubt i'll use other airlines, since my area is ruled by CO,AA,and SW. NWA's card is issued by USBank, heard some scary stuffs from them, any more suggestions?

Al
Old Oct 25, 00, 10:12 pm

Location: MCI. AA Plat, UA PrmEx., Mrrtt Gold, Hz Pres.Circle, HHonors Gold
The Marriott Card has one additional bonus if you ever stay in one of their hotels: as long as you carry the card, you are considered an elite member of the Marriott Rewards program.

Silver status you a special reservations line, priority for room requests (king beds, non-smoking, higher floors, etc.), and a 20% bonus of MR points. Although not a listed bennie, they occasionally throw in a room upgrade at check-in.

Meaningless if you never use hotels, but sort of nice if you have even a couple stays a year.
Old Oct 26, 00, 6:51 pm

Afang:

In my opinion, there really is no "good" choice, only compromises. None of the cards has a $0 yearly fee, and they all limit you in one way or another. Unfortunately, the is no "Starpoints Visa."

I have A NWA Worldperks Visa (because the first year was free) and I am semi-happy with it. The miles you earn are slow to post, but then I find ALL NWA miles slow to post.

After a year is up, I'll get rid of it if they won't waive my annual fee and move onto the next "free for a year," or "bonus mile upfront" Visa.

Mac

------------------
Via con Dios!
Old Oct 26, 00, 8:14 pm
Original Poster

Got a promo from AA in the mail today 15,000 miles for Gold Citi world masatercard! Not bad for $50 imo.

Al
Old Oct 26, 00, 8:30 pm
DH

You should take at look at CompuBank's Visa check card if you don't mind opening and maintaining a new checking account. It gives you 1 ClickRewards mile per $ charged. One of only two check card gives you miles/rewards; othe other is Chase check card with annual fee.

It's very useful for everyday small purchases such as gas, groceries, etc.

Yes, you can't directly transfer ClickMiles to AA but you can transfer via SPG; you can you transfer to CO, UA, NW, AW, BA and DL directly however.

Lastly, you can get $50 cash bonus if you sign up via Spree.com. You get 500 miles as well from CompuBank and additonal 750 miles if you signed up direct transfer.

------------------
For money savings ideas & tips check & FF miles bonus for finance & auto buying check out ValueConsumer.com

Search this Thread
Search Engine: