Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Applying for a USA-issued credit card while out of country and with low income?

Old May 24, 2024, 11:08 pm
Original Poster

I only have one credit card and it's a bank of america credit card. I recall jetblue had 2 different credit cards where if you apply, each of them give you reward points which is worth x amount of cash. It would give you free checked bag as well which is a huge perk especially with them increasing prices for checked bag. Anyone here sign up for a jetblue credit card just so they don't have to pay fees for checked bag? It seems like if you just take 1 trip a year roundtrip which is 2 flights, then it's worth it? But they only allow that for the jetblue plus card only right?

How do you apply for it? If you have low income, can you still apply for it? I only use one credit card and had it for many years but it's the only one I use. The cashback it gives back is roughly 1% if you convert the points to cash. I never bothered to apply for any other credit cards due to my low income. But if you apply the lower tier jetblue one, how does it work? Does it accept/reject you pretty quickly with a click of the button after you submit your information? What do they check when you apply for one? What about the higher tier one?

So if you put income is under 20k, it will most likely reject you?
Old May 25, 2024, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Getmyjetbluecard.com

Please PM me if you would like inflight referral codes for the enhanced bonus. I cannot share this information publicly.

-J.
Old May 25, 2024, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
If the OP's primary concern is whether Barclays is likely to approve him for a credit card when his annual income is less than $20K/year, the FlyerTalk "Credit Card Programs" sub-forum would probably be the best place for such an inquiry. The OP can alert a Moderator to request that this thread be moved there, if so desired.
GW McLintock likes this.
Old May 25, 2024, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

Applying for a Jetblue Credit Card with low income?

I only have one credit card and it's a bank of america credit card. I recall jetblue had 2 different credit cards where if you apply, each of them give you reward points which is worth x amount of cash. Only the jetblue plus card would give you free checked bag as well which is a huge perk especially with them increasing prices for checked bag. Anyone here sign up for a jetblue plus card credit card just so they don't have to pay fees for checked bag? It seems like if you just take 1 trip a year roundtrip which is 2 flights, then it's worth it? But they only allow that for the jetblue plus card only right?

How do you apply for it? If you have low income, can you still apply for it? I notice there was an option to apply for it when logged in my jetblue account. I only use one bank of america credit card and had it for many years but it's the only one I use. I had this credit card for almost 20 years. I don't think I had to pay a late fee even once as I paid on time almost always. If I had a late payment, it might been once or twice at the most. The thing is I don't even spend that much when using my credit card throughout all these years. The only things that I spend a lot on a purchase is a laptop and that is probably a bit over 2000 dollars. Most of my purchases are amazon purchases or when I have to fly. I rarely have many purchases even exceed $500. I don't use the credit card for restaurants or supermarket. So it's basically for amazon, online flights or purchases from online stores. I don't think I ever spent more than 5000 dollars in one year ever in these 20 years with my credit card. The average is probably less than 3000 dollars assuming I don't have to buy a new computer in that year. The cashback it gives back is roughly 1% if you convert the points to cash. I never bothered to apply for any other credit cards due to my low income. I remember years ago my credit card monthly limit was 3k and then it went up to 5k and now I think it is 7k or so. But if you apply the lower tier jetblue one or the jetblue plus card, how does it work? Does it accept/reject you pretty quickly with a click of the button after you submit your information? What do they check when you apply for one? What about the higher tier one?

So if you put income is under 20k, it will most likely reject you? I am self employed and my income has been like that for many years. I never applied for any other credit card throughout these years because I didn't have a regular job and self employed and low income so just used the bank of america credit card that I had almost 20 years ago. Can I apply for jetblue card? Would you recommend me? Is there any negative to doing? I don't own property or car or anything etc. I also heard people apply for many credit cards so they get cashback and rewards but since I am self employed and low income, I didn't bother with any of this. I know there are some credit card cashback that offer 2 or even 3 percent cashback but I just use my 1% max cashback bank of america credit card. The thing is I had email to apply for the bank of america travelpoints card? I think it offers 1.5% which is more but I didn't bother. Would it be safe to apply for that since it's also bank of america and they have my records? But things like Amex and those chase sapphire cards, obviously I'm going to be rejected for anything like that right? Again, I don't make that much purchases a year in terms of money. I could make 1000 dollars in purchases in 3 months... but certainly not anymore than that unless if I were to buy a new computer. I certainly can't spend 10000 dollars in a year. Should I apply for any credit card or just use the bank of america one that I always used? The jetblue plus card seems nice in that you get free checked bag since even if you pay $99 a year, one full roundtrip covers that fee?
Old May 25, 2024, 7:27 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Cross posted to JetBlue forum, so thread is closed reopened.

Edited to add JetBlue thread link

Last edited by EmailKid; May 27, 2024 at 4:02 pm Reason: Reopen thread
Old May 27, 2024, 4:03 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Bump after reopening thread.
Old May 27, 2024, 7:16 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Moving the thread to Credit Card Programs.

/mod
Old May 28, 2024, 10:15 pm
Original Poster

Okay does anyone have any feedback on this? I never applied for a credit card in like 20 years. I only have 1 bank of america credit card. I never even checked my credit score ever or anything like that. I do pay off my credit card statement when due.
Old May 29, 2024, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
You should check your credit score on a website like Credit Karma. It's free and easy to sign up. That is one of the primary indicators of if you'll be approved for a card. It's also just a good thing to know and keep track of.

-J.
Old May 29, 2024, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by GW McLintock
You should check your credit score on a website like Credit Karma. It's free and easy to sign up. That is one of the primary indicators of if you'll be approved for a card. It's also just a good thing to know and keep track of.

-J.
It's been reported on one of the blogs requires that Barclays requires a minimum FICO score of 750 for the JetBlue Plus card. Of course, I expect that credit-card issuers will also consider annual income in deciding whether to extend credit. On an application for a credit card from Barclays, it appears that the second screen asks for "financial information." I did not want to complete the first page, so never got to see what's on the second page, but in addition to household income, it might also ask whether one rents or owns one's residence (or lives with parents), and what one's monthly housing expense is to get a sense of how much of one's income goes toward housing.
Old May 29, 2024, 10:54 pm
Original Poster

I never checked my credit score ever. There is no harm in doing that though right? So it would give a number and it would take how long usually?

When you apply for the jetblue plus card, you have to put down your average yearly income and things like that right? The thing is I mentioned I'm low income and that number is around $20,000 and less a year. The other thing is I don't own any property, I rent and do that while abroad most of the time. I'm a digital nomad basically so there is no record of me owning property or even renting a place in my name in the US though. Would that be an issue?
Old May 30, 2024, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Checking your credit on a site like Credit Karma should be a very quick process, though it's been a while since I've done it. On CK at least it is not a hard pull so it does no harm to your account. It will give you a number between 300 and 850.

-J.
Old Jun 1, 2024, 6:49 pm
Original Poster

Is there any harm checking that or anything like it? I thought whenever you sign up for a credit card, there is something negative to it like it affects something?
Old Jun 1, 2024, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Using a site like Credit Karma does not do a hard pull, so it doesn't negatively affect your score. I've already mentioned this uptrend.

When you apply for a new card, your score will drop slightly but will generally recover in a few months.

-J.
Old Jun 7, 2024, 11:28 pm
Original Poster

Okay. Has anyone here been in this situation and applied for a credit card and had one for many years but want a 2nd one but concerned of their low income? Can others give me their experiences with this?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.