Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (cards, stickers or NFC smartphones)

Old Jan 12, 2024, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
To read discussion of this topic from 2022 - 2023, click HERE.
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 5, 2024, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Gas stations around me with Wayne pumps are FINALLY starting to get EMV contactless enabled. Up until this point, they’ve only had MSD contactless even though they’ve had EMV contact enabled for a while now. Gas stations will Gilbarco pumps around me started getting EMV contactless about 6 months or so ago.
scibot likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Yesterday I noticed that the NCR ATMs that at least one local credit union use still don't seem to have the contactless reader enabled. I guess Co-Op missed the supposed December date for rolling it out?
Old Jan 6, 2024, 11:08 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Went to a 76; usually avoid that brand but once in a while I try them. Chip reader at the pump wouldn't work, kept defaulting to swipe, declining, so had to pay inside. Wayne Pumps/Verifone Cash Register. Paid inside and was able to use Contactless but got a "debit card yes/no?" prompt after tapping then it processed and still MSD Contactless.

Some other 76 units in my area with Gilbarco Pumps/Gilbarco cash registers that have Contactless on the pumps have been declining any card you attempt to Tap for quite a while now. Then when you pay inside they demand you insert your card and won't let you tap. I suspect this is due to that it is MSD Contactless and their system must not be able to support the required EMV Contactless. So somehow that station operator got Tap disabled entirely (they have a few stations).
Old Jan 8, 2024, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by storewanderer
Went to a 76; usually avoid that brand but once in a while I try them. Chip reader at the pump wouldn't work, kept defaulting to swipe, declining, so had to pay inside. Wayne Pumps/Verifone Cash Register. Paid inside and was able to use Contactless but got a "debit card yes/no?" prompt after tapping then it processed and still MSD Contactless.

Some other 76 units in my area with Gilbarco Pumps/Gilbarco cash registers that have Contactless on the pumps have been declining any card you attempt to Tap for quite a while now. Then when you pay inside they demand you insert your card and won't let you tap. I suspect this is due to that it is MSD Contactless and their system must not be able to support the required EMV Contactless. So somehow that station operator got Tap disabled entirely (they have a few stations).
So weird that must just be just your area as 76 should use the Phillips 66 and Conoco network. Around here for years now both Commander and Passport have had EMV contactless. P66 Commander forces pin if a ctls debit card is used and Passport now uses MX915s and just runs all contactless as credit. There is a brand of Phillips 66 that has Commander with Flex Pay IV and contactless at the pump runs as EMV contactless iirc. I haven't used contactless at the pump at P66 Passport in a long time so not sure how it works.
Old Jan 8, 2024, 3:39 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
I was checking in at the local DoubleTree for a Loyalty Points run via an AAdvantage Hotels booking, and I was able to tap my Hilton Aspire card successfully on the Lane/7000 terminal at the reception for incidentals.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by Majuki
I was checking in at the local DoubleTree for a Loyalty Points run via an AAdvantage Hotels booking, and I was able to tap my Hilton Aspire card successfully on the Lane/7000 terminal at the reception for incidentals.
I've had a few Hiltons where contactless has been enabled. Not everyone does though IIRC.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My local Sur La Table is closing, but I was able to confirm that they are accepting contactless now. Their UI was a bit weird, though, as there were no prompts or "lights" on the screen (just the cashier saying that I can tap).

BTW it looks like we're almost at 93% of locations now per the stats. Walmart and Home Depot are the big outliers now based on the query I ran on the server. Here's hoping at least one of those enables it soon.
pudgym29 likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 5:08 pm

I noticed this sign for YewPay at the drive-thru of a local fast food restaurant on Monday. I went to their website, and it looks like they have license plate and facial recognition for payments with stored credit cards. There's no app or anything I could see, and I couldn't find a list of merchants on their website. This particular merchant already accepts contactless payments with a handheld credit card terminal, so the customer benefit in this case is likely minimal.

Old Jan 11, 2024, 5:18 pm

I used a Fidelity Visa debit card to withdraw cash at an ATM at the airport in Singapore. Initially, I tried a contactless payment since I saw the contactless logo, but the screen said that the ATM only accepted the bank's cards. However, the text implied that there would be future support for other cards too.

Have there been any major banks in the US who've enabled contactless card access at their ATMs with cards other than their own?
Old Jan 11, 2024, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Majuki
Have there been any major banks in the US who've enabled contactless card access at their ATMs with cards other than their own?
Wells Fargo has but with caveats. IIRC it was something like only physical cards working and not Apple or Google Pay.

Unfortunately there aren't really any others yet, but Union Bank is probably the closest (in testing, I got all the way through to when it would normally withdraw the money before I got an error).
Old Jan 15, 2024, 10:01 am

Programs: Skymiles
Well, so far I have never had to pull out my physical card for about 8 months and counting. I live in Phoenix, and I frequently travel to the Bay Area, and to Los Angeles. In all cases, I can pay for public transit, stores, food, etc all with just my phone. I suppose this is the future that we have all been waiting for. Here in Phoenix we have an app that has Apple Pay to access transit, whereas with LA and Bay Area, you can use their transit card directly in Apple Wallet itself.

Also, I want to add that TSA accepts my Apple Wallet mobile ID in all circumstances too, so I don't even need that to fly, I continue to carry it anyway though in case something happens with the TSA scanner.

Now I am literally just waiting on Home Depot.
Majuki, dmapr and PrendellHiggins like this.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by RedLight2015
Well, so far I have never had to pull out my physical card for about 8 months and counting. I live in Phoenix, and I frequently travel to the Bay Area, and to Los Angeles. In all cases, I can pay for public transit, stores, food, etc all with just my phone. I suppose this is the future that we have all been waiting for. Here in Phoenix we have an app that has Apple Pay to access transit, whereas with LA and Bay Area, you can use their transit card directly in Apple Wallet itself.

Also, I want to add that TSA accepts my Apple Wallet mobile ID in all circumstances too, so I don't even need that to fly, I continue to carry it anyway though in case something happens with the TSA scanner.

You must go to few sit-down restaurants?
bc097 likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
In fairness, the QR code receipt thing is becoming more common now. Plus, there's a reasonable chance contactless is enabled at the server stations, so if you're willing to talk them though how to do it (like what we had to do with regular stores in the early days of contactless) and follow them to the back to the restaurant, tapping is likely doable.

We went to Walmart recently for the first time in a while and I commented to the cashier that they were literally the only place we went to that didn't accept tap at that point (which I'm sure they get a lot). Not sure it'll make much of a difference, but every little bit helps, right?
Majuki and bc097 like this.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 2:04 pm

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Quite a few sit down restaurants I go to now use the clover flex, square terminal, Toast Go etc. And the ones that don't have a QR code, or at the very very least, I tell them Apple Pay and they walk me up to the server terminal.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 5:29 pm
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
.... Apple Pay and they walk me up to the server terminal.
Is that actually easier than presenting a physical card?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.