Search

Global Nomad - Which Credit Card?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2022, 5:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
Global Nomad - Which Credit Card?

Dear fellow travellers,

This is my first post in this forum so please bear with me.

I am a global nomad looking for information on which credit cards, rewards programs, etc. would ease my nomad lifestyle.

The facts:
EU citizen based in Dubai
In Dubai I am living in a Marriott
Traveling about 300 days a year (including being in Dubai)

What are your suggestions?

Thank you!

Last edited by TinTinLotus; Nov 29, 2022 at 10:54 pm
Old Nov 29, 2022, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by TinTinLotus
Dear fellow travellers,

I am a global nomad looking for information on which credit cards, rewards programs, etc. would ease my nomad lifestyle.

The facts:
I own a Lufthansa credit card which earns 1 mile per EUR spent
I spend about 5000 to 6000 EUR per month on tickets, hotels, restaurants and shopping.

Thank you!
The answer to this would depend on what countries you're actually able to apply for cards in? The US typically has the most generous card deals, and if you travel there and have access to an US address, there are ways to secure a card, even without an SSN.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2022, 5:54 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
As already was mentioned, it is possible to get US cards which are most generous in terms of sign-up bonuses and rewards without SSN, you will need to get ITIN.
If you find it is possible for you and you want to go the extra mile to get the US-issued card(s), you need to decide what kind of rewards you want to get - miles, hotel points cashback from purchases, etc.
Only after deciding on preferences on rewards, you can get an answer to the original question you've posted.
Old Dec 6, 2022, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by invisible
As already was mentioned, it is possible to get US cards which are most generous in terms of sign-up bonuses and rewards without SSN, you will need to get ITIN.
There are ways without an ITIN too. Happy to explain the ways I know if anyone needs assistance with it.
Old Dec 8, 2022, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I was excited to see this topic but it seems to be taking a different turn.

I would be interested in hearing from nomads who spend 6-12 months in different countries and prefer not to open local bank and credit card accounts in every country where they temporarily or seasonally reside.

More specifically: Has anyone who holds credit cards issued by major US banks encountered problems or closures when using the cards for extended periods overseas?

I know that banks and brokerage firms tend to have strict requirements that are addressed elsewhere (as is also the case for 2FA login problems),but have not seen much on credit cards.
Old Dec 8, 2022, 2:28 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Boraxo

More specifically: Has anyone who holds credit cards issued by major US banks encountered problems or closures when using the cards for extended periods overseas?
There is this thread from 2016: Using US credit cards while permanently living overseas - experiences?
Boraxo and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Dec 8, 2022, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo
I was excited to see this topic but it seems to be taking a different turn.

I would be interested in hearing from nomads who spend 6-12 months in different countries and prefer not to open local bank and credit card accounts in every country where they temporarily or seasonally reside.

I know that banks and brokerage firms tend to have strict requirements that are addressed elsewhere (as is also the case for 2FA login problems),but have not seen much on credit cards.
I had Chase cards for >18 years and US Bank for >5 years and last 10 years I was living overseas. I have not had many problems as long as I had defined 'travel periods and countries' first and then asked Chase to make a note that I was on assignment overseas.

AMEX should be even less problem, however, I've heard enough horror stories about Citi and CapitalOne.
Old Dec 8, 2022, 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Ha, my thread. Some things have changed for the better since 2016 - until very recent changes Wize and Revolut made moving money from the countries where they operate to the US fairly easy and with much fewer fees.
Old Dec 10, 2022, 4:31 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
I would venture to say the best global card is the US Bank Altitude Reserve. Contactless is ubiquitous in foreign countries, 4.5% back is near unbeatable on all spend.
SPN Lifer and yugi like this.
Old Dec 10, 2022, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by jags86
I would venture to say the best global card is the US Bank Altitude Reserve. Contactless is ubiquitous in foreign countries, 4.5% back is near unbeatable on all spend.
I don't know what is the current situation getting this card, but several years ago (when I got it) it was not trivial - I had to put $50K in Platinum Savings account first and only after that applied to the card - I was approved due to 'existing relationship' with the bank.
Old Dec 11, 2022, 8:11 am

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
I don't know what is the current situation getting this card, but several years ago (when I got it) it was not trivial - I had to put $50K in Platinum Savings account first and only after that applied to the card - I was approved due to 'existing relationship' with the bank.
You used to need a banking relationship. My mortgage was serviced by US Bank and that was good enough. Now it’s open to anyone.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2022, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Dear fellow travellers,

The facts:

Thank you!
TinTinLotus Welcome to FT and why don't you check back with some more facts after you read these replies.
Old Jul 2, 2023, 12:56 pm

Programs: contributor
I had Chase cards for >18 years and US Bank for >5 years and last 10 years I was living overseas. I have not had many problems as long as I had defined 'travel periods and countries' first and then asked Chase to make a note that I was on assignment overseas.

AMEX should be even less problem, however, I've heard enough horror stories about Citi and CapitalOne.
My problem with CapitalOne is their faulty fraud detection system. In particular, this concerns my Quicksilver credit card. If I try to do two consecutive transactions at the same store at the same time, my second transaction is guaranteed to be declined. Then CapitalOne sends an email and the entire fraud story begins (with calls, talking, etc). I had this situation a few years ago, and I had it again just last month. So I carry along with me a BofA Travel Rewards to pay for purchases if CapitalOne declines. Otherwise, all equal, I prefer CapitalOne because it's a cashback credit card.

The take away message is when living overseas, always have at least one spare card to use (whether credit or debit).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.