FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Credit Card Programs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs-599/)
-   -   Curve Card USA (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/2082456-curve-card-usa.html)

highops Jun 9, 2022 3:20 pm

Curve Card USA

I hope this thread can serve as a place to discuss things other than manufactured spend (already a thread) about the Curve Card.

Or, that the mods will merge this with the thread I couldn't find so I can find it :-)

I was at 14,000 or so on the wait list and invited to apply this week.

The good:
It was an easy application with instant approval
Combining their 1% cash back with one of my 1.8% cash back gives me 2.8% cash back for the next few months

The bad:
Categories for the rules on which card to use are broad. I could not find gas stations or drug store on there.

The IDK:
I haven't tried a category based transaction to see if the code is accepted by Chase or Discover for 3% or 5% back

highops Jun 10, 2022 6:16 pm

Chase declined my first try using one of their cards through Curve and the drugstore (health and beauty) rule.

If Chase isn't playing that is bad news for the 3 and 5% categories. I might soon just be using Curve for an extra 1% on non-bonused spend for 6 months then adding the card to the tin of shame.

daslax Jun 11, 2022 1:04 am

Curve doesn’t support Visa cards yet. Are the Chase cards you’re referring to MC’s?

I haven’t signed up yet but have an invite. Does it show up as a new account on your credit report? Earlier reports suggested it doesn’t affect 5/24 and I can’t give up a slot right now.

highops Jun 11, 2022 4:00 am

Originally Posted by daslax (Post 34325883)
Curve doesn’t support Visa cards yet. Are the Chase cards you’re referring to MC’s?

I haven’t signed up yet but have an invite. Does it show up as a new account on your credit report? Earlier reports suggested it doesn’t affect 5/24 and I can’t give up a slot right now.

Freedom Flex

It doesn't seem to have done a hard pull for me, but if I was borderline with Chase I probably wouldn't risk it over a few months of 1% cash back - especially if sometimes charges get declined and end up at their non-rewards credit line.

Edit: A charge at Panera applied the food and drink rule correctly and did give 3x on the Flex.

moe8555 Jun 24, 2022 9:52 am

Unfortunately, I wouldn't recommend bothering with Curve. Its been 2 weeks maybe, and I've already managed to have multiple unpleasant experiences with them.

They are extremely fast to freeze the account, take days to respond, but most egregious of all: total lack of respect for privacy. I made a purchase that was later refunded - they froze the account and demanded that I forward them the receipts.

Last I heard, Curve was not affiliated with the IRS. Even an Amex FR is understandable, as they only want to confirm financial standing against essentially an unsecured line of credit. But to demand itemized receipts like Curve, I'm at a loss for words.

Maybe they do things like that in Europe, but "this is America."

highops Jun 24, 2022 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by moe8555 (Post 34365450)
Unfortunately, I wouldn't recommend bothering with Curve. Its been 2 weeks maybe, and I've already managed to have multiple unpleasant experiences with them.

They are extremely fast to freeze the account, take days to respond, but most egregious of all: total lack of respect for privacy. I made a purchase that was later refunded - they froze the account and demanded that I forward them the receipts.

Last I heard, Curve was not affiliated with the IRS. Even an Amex FR is understandable, as they only want to confirm financial standing against essentially an unsecured line of credit. But to demand itemized receipts like Curve, I'm at a loss for words.

Maybe they do things like that in Europe, but "this is America."

My account has not worked for a single transaction since the physical card arrived. They definitely needed the beta phase.

yugi Jun 25, 2022 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by highops (Post 34366599)
My account has not worked for a single transaction since the physical card arrived. They definitely needed the beta phase.

Does it appear on you credit report? Which credit agency do they pull?

highops Jun 26, 2022 4:08 am

Originally Posted by yugi (Post 34369582)
Does it appear on you credit report? Which credit agency do they pull?

I don't think they used a hard inquiry. If they did it was with Experian. I don't see an account listed on with Transunion or Equifax either. They just gave a $500 limit in case one of the cards gets rejected so they could approve it. When they leave beta testing maybe they will run reports and give bigger limits?

cuthroat Jun 30, 2022 6:30 am

Data Point

I've been using curve just over 3 weeks now. They need to add Visa/Amex credit cards asap. No hard pull as of now. $500 limit like everyone else. You can spend more than $500, I've spent $1100+ twice. Customer Service is hit or miss, mostly miss. Sometimes they reply in a few hours others they never reply. After 7 days I gave up since you only can ask 1 question at a time. To refer using the app they want access to my contacts (that's not happening). Had to message CS to get my referral code, but they don't tell you you'll need to use a special link for the referral to count. My account was frozen 2 days ago with no warning, I kept getting declined and had to figure it out on my own. I really like the back in time feature. Bottom line I was looking as getting the card for player 2/3 since the wrong card it used 50% of the time. HaHahaha.

moe8555 Jun 30, 2022 9:44 am

What did they freeze you for?
I literally don't there is a single person in my circles that hasn't had the account frozen at some point.

cuthroat Jun 30, 2022 9:55 am

Originally Posted by moe8555 (Post 34383959)
What did they freeze you for?
I literally don't there is a single person in my circles that hasn't had the account frozen at some point.

I waiting on a reply back from CS. The agent never told me it was an ID verification just that "the Curve team is working on it", but Curve sent me an email requesting DL/Passport and a selfie.

toofast Jun 30, 2022 10:09 am

Originally Posted by cuthroat (Post 34383994)
I waiting on a reply back from CS. The agent never told me it was an ID verification just that "the Curve team is working on it", but Curve sent me an email requesting DL/Passport and a selfie.

Were you doing very large transactions, or any ms?

I'm just wondering what prompted this.

cuthroat Jun 30, 2022 11:11 am

Originally Posted by toofast (Post 34384048)
Were you doing very large transactions, or any ms?

I'm just wondering what prompted this.

One split MS charge for under $200. 2 charges for car repairs one around $1200 the other around $3600. The repair shop codes as Gas.

toofast Jun 30, 2022 11:15 am

Originally Posted by cuthroat (Post 34384251)
One split MS charge for under $200. 2 charges for car repairs one around $1200 the other around $3600. The repair shop codes as Gas.

I did read elsewhere about people getting warned for MS, so I expect it's that.

A repair shop that codes as gas, wow, you found a nice unicorn there!

cuthroat Jun 30, 2022 11:23 am

Originally Posted by toofast (Post 34384263)
I did read elsewhere about people getting warned for MS, so I expect it's that.

A repair shop that codes as gas, wow, you found a nice unicorn there!

Maybe so. I'll report back once I hear anything.

I know right! I took my car in for a smog and couldn't believe it when I was looking over the statement.