Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Simplicity versus optimizing rewards - Amex Platinum/Gold, CSR/CFU, etc

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Simplicity versus optimizing rewards - Amex Platinum/Gold, CSR/CFU, etc

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2022, 9:43 am

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by Mike B
I have a ridiculous number of cards, have trimmed some, but need to trim more. I thought some time back that if I truly wanted to simplify, I would have an AMEX Plat for lounges/benefits, and a Citi Premier/DoubleCash combination for non airfare spending. One downside to that is if you like cruises. My gf likes (and I am her willing accomplice) to go on cruises about twice a year that each involve about $10K in total spend, but the Citi Premier treats cruises as 1x. I dislike leaving that many points on the table.

When I first had this thought, the Venture X had not been refreshed. The refreshed Venture X could substitute for both Citi cards in my original scheme, or if I could live without Delta lounge access and a few other benefits, it could replace the Platinum as well! It would give up some travel and restaurant points, but gain ultra simplicity, and cut fee expenses way back.

In truth, I am too greedy and eager to “beat the system” to cut back that far, but I really don’t need as many cards as I have. In trimming back, I will keep a hotel card that gives status and free nights for the two main hotel chains I use (Hilton and IHG), and a card like the CSR or Amex Green that gives 3x on all travel, including cruises. The Hilton Aspire card gives generous credits for resorts and airline fees as is commonly discussed, and I find the Diamond status especially useful when I arrive early in the day after a transatlantic flight and am hoping to be let into my hotel room at 10:30 AM.
For cruises you can use Custom Cash (5x), but it's only $500 per month, so you will need to have more than one of those. I had a lot of Citi cards, and I'm in a process of converting most of them to CCC. I already converted all of my Preferred, and one of Rewards+, I'm planning to convert 2 more Rewards+, Premier and Double Cash. This will leave me with Prestige and AT&T AM and a lot of CCCs. Prestige also gives 3x for cruises, but it's discontinued. Also there is Ink Preferred, which will give 3x for cruises.
Old May 24, 2022, 10:19 am

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I have PayPal MC and even though Synchrony is a bit squirrelly as a lender I find it useful. The 1% international fee they added is a downer though.
I think it's 3% now.
Old May 25, 2022, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by yugi
I think it's 3% now.
3% on PayPal. 2% otherwise.
Old May 26, 2022, 10:23 am

Amex Personal Plat for Air not purchased via Amex travel. Also larger ticket items so I get to the spend threshold for guest access to Centurion lounge in 2023
Amex Business Plat for Air purchased on Amex travel and MR Pay with Points and points rebate as well as 5x at Home Depot and Best Buy. Will use this tru the end of the year to get to MR points goal.
Discover for their 5% rebate categories (Currently gas) next quarter Restaurants
Costco Visa for Costco purchases
Amex Hilton for Hilton Stays and points accrual.
AA Citi Visa will be my goto card for everything else so as to get to EXP status
Old May 28, 2022, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
3% on PayPal. 2% otherwise.
It's 3% FTF, it has no FTF before.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.