Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless payment cards (2022 - 2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 8, 2022, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SPN Lifer
Older (archived) threads:
2017- 21
2014-16

- - - - - -

FAQ
  1. What is EMV contactless?

EMV contactless is a form of near-field communication (NFC)/contactless that uses the same security and encryption that is used when inserting a chip card into an EMV-enabled terminal. Other than not having to sign/enter a PIN for smaller transactions, the security is effectively the same as chip and PIN/chip and signature. (EMV stands for Europay, MasterCard & Visa, the 1994 founders of the EMV chip or smart chip technology.)

In contrast, MSD contactless is an older version that is designed just and only for the United States. This effectively uses much the same flow as a swiped card transaction with the same rules.
  2. What is CDCVM?

CDCVM stands for Consumer Device Cardholder Verification Method. It's a method of telling the terminal that the customer verified their identity using their mobile device. Terminals that support it will waive the signature/PIN requirement typically in place for larger transactions, potentially saving time at checkout.

More info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202527

3. Does EMV contactless need to be supported to support CDCVM?

Typically, yes. (However, there are some exceptions below.)

4. Why can't I tap my foreign-issued contactless card at most places in the US?

This is likely because the store does not support EMV contactless. Foreign issued contactless cards typically do not support MSD contactless since other markets have had EMV for quite some time. In contrast, most stores in the US have yet to get the necessary certifications/software for EMV contactless so they are typically MSD-only--if contactless is enabled at all. (See below for a list of stores where your card will likely work.)

5. I paid for a purchase with Apple/Android/Samsung Pay and still had to sign for it.

Most likely, the store in question does not have EMV contactless enabled (see above question). However, there are instances where CDCVM does not work even with EMV contactless enabled. Restaurants that allow tip adjust, for example--where the tip amount is written on a paper receipt and entered by the staff later--cannot support CDCVM. It may simply be a matter of the merchant's processor or the POS software in use not supporting it too.

Another common reason is if you used a US-issued AmEx card with a mobile wallet. AmEx currently does not allow EMV contactless support in mobile wallets for these cards, so they always run as MSD contactless. Because of this, CDCVM is not supported (with very few exceptions, as noted below).

Note: if you used Samsung Pay, you may have paid with MST instead of NFC. Since MST emulates the magnetic pulses that the terminal receives when swiping a regular card, the normal magstripe rules apply.

6. How can I tell whether EMV contactless was used?

An easy way to tell if you have Apple Pay is to pay with a Visa or MC while in airplane mode. Wallet will then show a transaction amount next to "Payment" for the card that was used. Alternatively, EMV-related information will typically print on the receipt (AID, etc.) if EMV contactless was used.

(Non-exhaustive) list of EMV contactless supporting merchants in the US:
  • 7-Eleven
  • 99 Ranch
  • Albertsons (Safeway, Vons, Pak N Save, Jewel, Acme, Shaws, Star, Carrs, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Haggen, Eagle, Lucky UT/SoCal)
  • Apple Store*†
  • Athleta
  • Auntie Anne’s Pretzels
  • Banana Republic
  • Costco Wholesale
  • CVS
  • DuaneReade*
  • El Pollo Loco
  • EG Group US (Quik Stop, Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill) Note: cashier must press "Electronic Payment" to activate NFC
  • Five Below*
  • Five Guys
  • GAP
  • Grocery Outlet*
  • Harmon's Grocery
  • H&M*
  • Jolibee
  • Kohl's*
  • Lush Cosmetics*
  • Maverik
  • McDonald's*
  • Meijer
  • Old Navy
  • Panera Bread
  • PetSmart
  • Ray's Food Place
  • Round Table Pizza
  • Royal Farms
  • Red Ribbon Bakeshop
  • Sheetz
  • Sherm's Thunderbird Discount Markets Inc.*
  • Sprouts
  • Staples*
  • Starbucks*
  • Subway
  • Walgreens*
  • Weis Markets
  • All businesses that use Square and support contactless*
  • All businesses that use Clover and support EMV†**
  • All businesses that use First Data standalone terminals (e.g. FD100+FD35, FD130) with EMV enabled**

* CDCVM support confirmed
** CDCVM support depends on store/restaurant
† CDCVM supported in MSD mode

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2022, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum

Last night, we went to a restaurant that uses Square. They took the card away as per usual, of course, but it turns out they actually tapped it themselves.

Interestingly, even though the Square email receipt says "no CVM", we still got a paper receipt to specify tip and to sign. Signature seems even more pointless to me when the name under the signature line says "Visa Cardholder".
Old Jan 4, 2022, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
Signature seems even more pointless to me when the name under the signature line says "Visa Cardholder".
That's how you should have signed it LOL.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I had a server bring a unit to the table the other day. However, when I mentioned tapping, she replied (along the lines of), "Please don't as that's wonky."
Old Jan 5, 2022, 10:29 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Two questions:

Does Samsung Pay (using magnetic strip emulator) work in Walmart/Sams Club?

How can I use Samsung/Apple/Google pay if I want to order tires from Tire Rack?
Old Jan 6, 2022, 1:05 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Last night, we went to a restaurant that uses Square. They took the card away as per usual, of course, but it turns out they actually tapped it themselves.
The bartender at the lobby restaurant at the LAX Renaissance tapped my card on Monday as well. I've seen this more recently where cashiers are proactively tapping the card.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 9:20 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Discussion has been migrated to a fresh thread. Last year's thread is here: USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)
Old Jan 8, 2022, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by invisible
Two questions:

Does Samsung Pay (using magnetic strip emulator) work in Walmart/Sams Club?

How can I use Samsung/Apple/Google pay if I want to order tires from Tire Rack?
In the past, Samsung Pay has worked at Walmart but it was pretty flaky. I'm not sure how well it works now.

Also, if Tire Rack (or any other website) supports Apple or Google Pay, the requisite button should appear when you go to check out. Note that on Mac/iOS you'll need to use Safari for the Apple Pay button to appear (and Chrome for Google Pay).

Originally Posted by Majuki
The bartender at the lobby restaurant at the LAX Renaissance tapped my card on Monday as well. I've seen this more recently where cashiers are proactively tapping the card.
It's all well and good for physical cards but definitely not ideal for other form factors. Though at this point perhaps we've just decided to support phones via QR and not care about the more "exotic" forms (like rings or magic wands).
Old Jan 9, 2022, 12:54 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
It's all well and good for physical cards but definitely not ideal for other form factors.
Speaking of using contactless through the physical card, Mrs. Majuki and I are currently in French Polynesia. I've been using my card to some extent, and I've noticed at merchants where I tapped the payment that the terminal asked to représentez la carte. Fortunately tapping a second time worked, and it didn't seem to mess up the terminal. I'm uncertain what the issue might have been.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 7:51 am

Google Pay's new payment sheet appears to have rolled out to all apps now. Still has the old UI on the web, though. Though of course, Google is Google, so there's no design consistency. All the elements have a different border radii. :/
Old Jan 10, 2022, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Speaking of QR, it seems that (some?) Square merchants now support payment via CashApp. A QR code displays on the customer-facing screen along with the normal "insert/swipe/tap" wording. We'll see how that goes for them since CashApp has never been used as much as Venmo as far as I can tell.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 8:53 am

Programs: Skymiles
Speaking of QR, it seems that (some?) Square merchants now support payment via CashApp. A QR code displays on the customer-facing screen along with the normal "insert/swipe/tap" wording. We'll see how that goes for them since CashApp has never been used as much as Venmo as far as I can tell.
Square decided to roll out CashApp Pay to all Square merchants. They’re hoping that people will use it since Square itself does have a large user base.

I will continue to use Apple Pay of course and don’t even bother with a CashApp card or the app.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 9:34 am

Programs: Skymiles

Look what’s finally getting installed on Phoenix buses/trains.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RedLight2015
Square decided to roll out CashApp Pay to all Square merchants. They’re hoping that people will use it since Square itself does have a large user base.

I will continue to use Apple Pay of course and don’t even bother with a CashApp card or the app.
I mean, it just seems like poor timing, right? If Venmo and Square did this ten, maybe even five years ago, it'd be a different story. As it is, outside of specific contexts (e.g. restaurants), I'm not sure either will ever get much use.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by RedLight2015

I mean, it just seems like poor timing, right? If Venmo and Square did this ten, maybe even five years ago, it'd be a different story. As it is, outside of specific contexts (e.g. restaurants), I'm not sure either will ever get much use.
​​​​​​​
I've seen it in a few places, too. While I used CashApp from almost the beginning (settling up on bills and such when I was splitting rent), Apple Cash has mostly replaced it. On the other side, when the lucrative Boosts died out, other cards won out for better rewards.

I think where Square missed the boat is to not offer some sort of incentive to use this...do I want to scan the QR code and get nothing or 2-5% cash back (or points)?
Old Jan 11, 2022, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by ecs0013
​​​​​​​
I think where Square missed the boat is to not offer some sort of incentive to use this...do I want to scan the QR code and get nothing or 2-5% cash back (or points)?
For those of us who have credit cards of varying rewards types and the understanding and willingness to use them, CashAppPay is of little use. But there are a lot of people for whom CashApp is their bank/wallet. That's who Square is targeting with this. I know a handful of folks who have a "regular" bank account where their pay goes but out of which basically comes rent and some bills (and a couple who don't have a traditional bank account at all). The rest of spending is done through payment apps in lieu of paper/coin money. If Square can get people to leave the funds in Square's app and move it around between merchants and other Square users, that's better for Square and I can totally see it working.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.