FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Credit Card Programs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs-599/)
-   -   USA contactless payment cards (2022 - 2023) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/2064774-usa-contactless-payment-cards-2022-2023-a.html)

tmiw Jan 4, 2022 10:38 am

USA contactless payment cards (2022 - 2023)

Last night, we went to a restaurant that uses Square. They took the card away as per usual, of course, but it turns out they actually tapped it themselves. :tu:

Interestingly, even though the Square email receipt says "no CVM", we still got a paper receipt to specify tip and to sign. Signature seems even more pointless to me when the name under the signature line says "Visa Cardholder". :p

LoveClassicMusic0205 Jan 4, 2022 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw (Post 33870434)
Signature seems even more pointless to me when the name under the signature line says "Visa Cardholder". :p

That's how you should have signed it LOL.

Points Scrounger Jan 4, 2022 6:48 pm

I had a server bring a unit to the table the other day. However, when I mentioned tapping, she replied (along the lines of), "Please don't as that's wonky."

invisible Jan 5, 2022 10:29 am

Two questions:

Does Samsung Pay (using magnetic strip emulator) work in Walmart/Sams Club?

How can I use Samsung/Apple/Google pay if I want to order tires from Tire Rack?

Majuki Jan 6, 2022 1:05 am

Originally Posted by tmiw (Post 33870434)
Last night, we went to a restaurant that uses Square. They took the card away as per usual, of course, but it turns out they actually tapped it themselves.

The bartender at the lobby restaurant at the LAX Renaissance tapped my card on Monday as well. I've seen this more recently where cashiers are proactively tapping the card.

mia Jan 8, 2022 9:20 pm

Moderator action

Discussion has been migrated to a fresh thread. Last year's thread is here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cred...17-2021-a.html

tmiw Jan 8, 2022 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by invisible (Post 33873711)
Two questions:

Does Samsung Pay (using magnetic strip emulator) work in Walmart/Sams Club?

How can I use Samsung/Apple/Google pay if I want to order tires from Tire Rack?

In the past, Samsung Pay has worked at Walmart but it was pretty flaky. I'm not sure how well it works now.

Also, if Tire Rack (or any other website) supports Apple or Google Pay, the requisite button should appear when you go to check out. Note that on Mac/iOS you'll need to use Safari for the Apple Pay button to appear (and Chrome for Google Pay).

Originally Posted by Majuki (Post 33875794)
The bartender at the lobby restaurant at the LAX Renaissance tapped my card on Monday as well. I've seen this more recently where cashiers are proactively tapping the card.

It's all well and good for physical cards but definitely not ideal for other form factors. Though at this point perhaps we've just decided to support phones via QR and not care about the more "exotic" forms (like rings or magic wands).

Majuki Jan 9, 2022 12:54 am

Originally Posted by tmiw (Post 33885213)
It's all well and good for physical cards but definitely not ideal for other form factors.

Speaking of using contactless through the physical card, Mrs. Majuki and I are currently in French Polynesia. I've been using my card to some extent, and I've noticed at merchants where I tapped the payment that the terminal asked to représentez la carte. Fortunately tapping a second time worked, and it didn't seem to mess up the terminal. I'm uncertain what the issue might have been.

PrendellHiggins Jan 10, 2022 7:51 am

Google Pay's new payment sheet appears to have rolled out to all apps now. Still has the old UI on the web, though. Though of course, Google is Google, so there's no design consistency. All the elements have a different border radii. :/
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...737940ca96.jpg

tmiw Jan 10, 2022 7:57 am

Speaking of QR, it seems that (some?) Square merchants now support payment via CashApp. A QR code displays on the customer-facing screen along with the normal "insert/swipe/tap" wording. We'll see how that goes for them since CashApp has never been used as much as Venmo as far as I can tell.

RedLight2015 Jan 10, 2022 8:53 am

Originally Posted by tmiw (Post 33888838)
Speaking of QR, it seems that (some?) Square merchants now support payment via CashApp. A QR code displays on the customer-facing screen along with the normal "insert/swipe/tap" wording. We'll see how that goes for them since CashApp has never been used as much as Venmo as far as I can tell.

Square decided to roll out CashApp Pay to all Square merchants. They’re hoping that people will use it since Square itself does have a large user base.

I will continue to use Apple Pay of course and don’t even bother with a CashApp card or the app.

RedLight2015 Jan 10, 2022 9:34 am

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...84864ff82.jpeg
Look what’s finally getting installed on Phoenix buses/trains.

tmiw Jan 10, 2022 9:42 am

Originally Posted by RedLight2015 (Post 33889007)
Square decided to roll out CashApp Pay to all Square merchants. They’re hoping that people will use it since Square itself does have a large user base.

I will continue to use Apple Pay of course and don’t even bother with a CashApp card or the app.

I mean, it just seems like poor timing, right? If Venmo and Square did this ten, maybe even five years ago, it'd be a different story. As it is, outside of specific contexts (e.g. restaurants), I'm not sure either will ever get much use.

ecs0013 Jan 10, 2022 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by RedLight2015 (Post 33889007)

Originally Posted by tmiw (Post 33889149)
I mean, it just seems like poor timing, right? If Venmo and Square did this ten, maybe even five years ago, it'd be a different story. As it is, outside of specific contexts (e.g. restaurants), I'm not sure either will ever get much use.

​​​​​​​
I've seen it in a few places, too. While I used CashApp from almost the beginning (settling up on bills and such when I was splitting rent), Apple Cash has mostly replaced it. On the other side, when the lucrative Boosts died out, other cards won out for better rewards.

I think where Square missed the boat is to not offer some sort of incentive to use this...do I want to scan the QR code and get nothing or 2-5% cash back (or points)?

wesmills Jan 11, 2022 8:02 am

Originally Posted by ecs0013 (Post 33891044)
​​​​​​​
I think where Square missed the boat is to not offer some sort of incentive to use this...do I want to scan the QR code and get nothing or 2-5% cash back (or points)?

For those of us who have credit cards of varying rewards types and the understanding and willingness to use them, CashAppPay is of little use. But there are a lot of people for whom CashApp is their bank/wallet. That's who Square is targeting with this. I know a handful of folks who have a "regular" bank account where their pay goes but out of which basically comes rent and some bills (and a couple who don't have a traditional bank account at all). The rest of spending is done through payment apps in lieu of paper/coin money. If Square can get people to leave the funds in Square's app and move it around between merchants and other Square users, that's better for Square and I can totally see it working.