Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless payment cards (2022 - 2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 8, 2022, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SPN Lifer
Older (archived) threads:
2017- 21
2014-16

- - - - - -

FAQ
  1. What is EMV contactless?

EMV contactless is a form of near-field communication (NFC)/contactless that uses the same security and encryption that is used when inserting a chip card into an EMV-enabled terminal. Other than not having to sign/enter a PIN for smaller transactions, the security is effectively the same as chip and PIN/chip and signature. (EMV stands for Europay, MasterCard & Visa, the 1994 founders of the EMV chip or smart chip technology.)

In contrast, MSD contactless is an older version that is designed just and only for the United States. This effectively uses much the same flow as a swiped card transaction with the same rules.
  2. What is CDCVM?

CDCVM stands for Consumer Device Cardholder Verification Method. It's a method of telling the terminal that the customer verified their identity using their mobile device. Terminals that support it will waive the signature/PIN requirement typically in place for larger transactions, potentially saving time at checkout.

More info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202527

3. Does EMV contactless need to be supported to support CDCVM?

Typically, yes. (However, there are some exceptions below.)

4. Why can't I tap my foreign-issued contactless card at most places in the US?

This is likely because the store does not support EMV contactless. Foreign issued contactless cards typically do not support MSD contactless since other markets have had EMV for quite some time. In contrast, most stores in the US have yet to get the necessary certifications/software for EMV contactless so they are typically MSD-only--if contactless is enabled at all. (See below for a list of stores where your card will likely work.)

5. I paid for a purchase with Apple/Android/Samsung Pay and still had to sign for it.

Most likely, the store in question does not have EMV contactless enabled (see above question). However, there are instances where CDCVM does not work even with EMV contactless enabled. Restaurants that allow tip adjust, for example--where the tip amount is written on a paper receipt and entered by the staff later--cannot support CDCVM. It may simply be a matter of the merchant's processor or the POS software in use not supporting it too.

Another common reason is if you used a US-issued AmEx card with a mobile wallet. AmEx currently does not allow EMV contactless support in mobile wallets for these cards, so they always run as MSD contactless. Because of this, CDCVM is not supported (with very few exceptions, as noted below).

Note: if you used Samsung Pay, you may have paid with MST instead of NFC. Since MST emulates the magnetic pulses that the terminal receives when swiping a regular card, the normal magstripe rules apply.

6. How can I tell whether EMV contactless was used?

An easy way to tell if you have Apple Pay is to pay with a Visa or MC while in airplane mode. Wallet will then show a transaction amount next to "Payment" for the card that was used. Alternatively, EMV-related information will typically print on the receipt (AID, etc.) if EMV contactless was used.

(Non-exhaustive) list of EMV contactless supporting merchants in the US:
  • 7-Eleven
  • 99 Ranch
  • Albertsons (Safeway, Vons, Pak N Save, Jewel, Acme, Shaws, Star, Carrs, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Haggen, Eagle, Lucky UT/SoCal)
  • Apple Store*†
  • Athleta
  • Auntie Anne’s Pretzels
  • Banana Republic
  • Costco Wholesale
  • CVS
  • DuaneReade*
  • El Pollo Loco
  • EG Group US (Quik Stop, Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill) Note: cashier must press "Electronic Payment" to activate NFC
  • Five Below*
  • Five Guys
  • GAP
  • Grocery Outlet*
  • Harmon's Grocery
  • H&M*
  • Jolibee
  • Kohl's*
  • Lush Cosmetics*
  • Maverik
  • McDonald's*
  • Meijer
  • Old Navy
  • Panera Bread
  • PetSmart
  • Ray's Food Place
  • Round Table Pizza
  • Royal Farms
  • Red Ribbon Bakeshop
  • Sheetz
  • Sherm's Thunderbird Discount Markets Inc.*
  • Sprouts
  • Staples*
  • Starbucks*
  • Subway
  • Walgreens*
  • Weis Markets
  • All businesses that use Square and support contactless*
  • All businesses that use Clover and support EMV†**
  • All businesses that use First Data standalone terminals (e.g. FD100+FD35, FD130) with EMV enabled**

* CDCVM support confirmed
** CDCVM support depends on store/restaurant
† CDCVM supported in MSD mode

Print Wikipost

USA contactless payment cards (2022 - 2023)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2022, 3:49 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
My Citibank MasterCard (happens to be the AA co-branded card but I don't think this matters) gets declined every time if I try NFC (either the card itself or via Apple Pay) at Circle K pumps. It works fine everywhere else I've tried including other gas stations.

Is this a known issue, and is there a fix?
Old Mar 6, 2022, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by fliesdelta
My Citibank MasterCard (happens to be the AA co-branded card but I don't think this matters) gets declined every time if I try NFC (either the card itself or via Apple Pay) at Circle K pumps. It works fine everywhere else I've tried including other gas stations.

I haven't filled up there in a while but is that the only MC that you have that fails?
Old Mar 7, 2022, 1:32 pm

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by fliesdelta

Doesn't work with my Apple Card at Circle K either. I just stopped going to Circle K altogether until they get their act together. Unfortunately I don't think they will. By act I mean disgusting stores, dirty bathrooms, and unclean gas pumps with bird poop everywhere. They seriously are a company that have shown they don't care.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
I haven't filled up there in a while but is that the only MC that you have that fails?
It's the only MC that I have, so I haven't tried others.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by RedLight2015
Doesn't work with my Apple Card at Circle K either. I just stopped going to Circle K altogether until they get their act together. Unfortunately I don't think they will. By act I mean disgusting stores, dirty bathrooms, and unclean gas pumps with bird poop everywhere. They seriously are a company that have shown they don't care.
They're fine here (Raleigh NC), I wonder if it's a local management issue rather than chain-wide.
Old Mar 8, 2022, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by RedLight2015
No issues at the Circle Ks near me either, but is yours co-branded? When ours were Circle K + Shell, contactless didn't work at all—would read and then immediately fail.
Old Mar 8, 2022, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by ecs0013
No issues at the Circle Ks near me either, but is yours co-branded? When ours were Circle K + Shell, contactless didn't work at all—would read and then immediately fail.
Circle K + Shell now works inside as it just uses the Shell backend now. Still using the same NCR Radiant registers though. At the pump isn't working because Shell still doesn't have it working the last time I checked. EMV contactless is enabled inside now at Shell and is probably at Circle K + Shell locations but not sure yet as I haven't made my way to Colorado to check. Any news on Wendy's adding ctls inside as my location has the new Lane/3000s but it's just not enabled.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Well, this sucks. USPS uses Quick Chip now (and still doesn't support contactless). There goes a cheap way of trying to push PIN changes to a card with offline PIN.

(I'm still trying to get my Treecard to accept the new PIN I set and reset the PIN Try Counter for the global AID. At least the new PIN does work if the merchant uses the common AID and/or if I tap, I guess?)

BTW, the Taco Bell manned counters still have issues with online PIN when inserting. While TB fortunately still doesn't seem to use Quick Chip, it also doesn't seem to try to run any issuer scripts afterward if a PIN isn't entered. I don't know if that's a Treecard thing or if Taco Bell's processor simply doesn't support scripting.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 9:35 pm

Programs: Skymiles
So far a real interesting experience for me at this coffee shop here in Phoenix.

So the coffee shop is in an unlabeled “abandoned” building. Literally nothing on the door, true speakeasy. Really cool!

What else was also unlabeled? The contactless reader. I didn’t see any customer facing terminal but I saw the cashier tapping cards to the side of the monitor. Not like the Toast POS, as this was a windows based point of sale system, but literally tapping cards on the monitor!

Naturally I asked if they had Apple Pay, lo and behold, I was told to hold my phone up to the side of the monitor. To my eyes, it worked. Just like the building itself, you gotta know to use contactless here I guess.

First time I’ve seen a setup like this but I can’t say it’s bad. Just wish it were labeled for the layperson.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Someone on reddit reported that contactless worked at Michaels. I know that there were like one or two a long while ago that supported it (but definitely nowhere near the majority); I'm not sure if it was simply one of the former or if they actually support it at all locations now.

Also, we went to Larsen's Steakhouse last night (a pretty expensive place, BTW) and they had pay at the table using Clover devices. I was kinda surprised they went with Clover instead of something from Ingenico or Verifone, actually, but then again I don't think they're that big of a chain. I also wonder if I'd run into pay at the table more often domestically if I ate at the really expensive places more often
Majuki likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2022, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I was at a restaurant the other night that used Poynt handheld devices for pay at the table (previously they did support EMV but took cards away from tables to run them). The server inserted our cards for us, unfortunately, so I was unable to see if contactless worked on those.

Also, Marriott still doesn't do contactless at the front desk as of a few days ago. I did notice that the Starbucks at the one we were in had the smaller Ingenicos, so I suspect it would have worked there much like the one in Coronado that I've visited before.

Last edited by tmiw; Mar 20, 2022 at 4:23 pm
Old Mar 21, 2022, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by ecs0013
I spoke too soon...it's been a little while since I filled up, but my Apple Card also did a straight-up decline when it previously worked, so I don't know if they broke something everywhere, but it's rather annoying.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
I was at a restaurant the other night that used Poynt handheld devices for pay at the table (previously they did support EMV but took cards away from tables to run them). The server inserted our cards for us, unfortunately, so I was unable to see if contactless worked on those.

Also, Marriott still doesn't do contactless at the front desk as of a few days ago. I did notice that the Starbucks at the one we were in had the smaller Ingenicos, so I suspect it would have worked there much like the one in Coronado that I've visited before.
Oh btw I was correct about the MC ctls locator as it is now fully fixed so yeah it was indeed borked. Now it shows up to 100 locations again and all places in my city.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by scibot
Oh btw I was correct about the MC ctls locator as it is now fully fixed so yeah it was indeed borked. Now it shows up to 100 locations again and all places in my city.
Yep, the website looks okay now here but the mobile app is still borked unfortunately.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 4:55 pm

I wonder if 7-Eleven with MX915s finally has nfc? I see one with MX915s on the ctls locator now. Unless they replaced the MX915s with ones that support contactless?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.