Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless payment cards (2022 - 2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 8, 2022, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SPN Lifer
Older (archived) threads:
2017- 21
2014-16

- - - - - -

FAQ
  1. What is EMV contactless?

EMV contactless is a form of near-field communication (NFC)/contactless that uses the same security and encryption that is used when inserting a chip card into an EMV-enabled terminal. Other than not having to sign/enter a PIN for smaller transactions, the security is effectively the same as chip and PIN/chip and signature. (EMV stands for Europay, MasterCard & Visa, the 1994 founders of the EMV chip or smart chip technology.)

In contrast, MSD contactless is an older version that is designed just and only for the United States. This effectively uses much the same flow as a swiped card transaction with the same rules.
  2. What is CDCVM?

CDCVM stands for Consumer Device Cardholder Verification Method. It's a method of telling the terminal that the customer verified their identity using their mobile device. Terminals that support it will waive the signature/PIN requirement typically in place for larger transactions, potentially saving time at checkout.

More info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202527

3. Does EMV contactless need to be supported to support CDCVM?

Typically, yes. (However, there are some exceptions below.)

4. Why can't I tap my foreign-issued contactless card at most places in the US?

This is likely because the store does not support EMV contactless. Foreign issued contactless cards typically do not support MSD contactless since other markets have had EMV for quite some time. In contrast, most stores in the US have yet to get the necessary certifications/software for EMV contactless so they are typically MSD-only--if contactless is enabled at all. (See below for a list of stores where your card will likely work.)

5. I paid for a purchase with Apple/Android/Samsung Pay and still had to sign for it.

Most likely, the store in question does not have EMV contactless enabled (see above question). However, there are instances where CDCVM does not work even with EMV contactless enabled. Restaurants that allow tip adjust, for example--where the tip amount is written on a paper receipt and entered by the staff later--cannot support CDCVM. It may simply be a matter of the merchant's processor or the POS software in use not supporting it too.

Another common reason is if you used a US-issued AmEx card with a mobile wallet. AmEx currently does not allow EMV contactless support in mobile wallets for these cards, so they always run as MSD contactless. Because of this, CDCVM is not supported (with very few exceptions, as noted below).

Note: if you used Samsung Pay, you may have paid with MST instead of NFC. Since MST emulates the magnetic pulses that the terminal receives when swiping a regular card, the normal magstripe rules apply.

6. How can I tell whether EMV contactless was used?

An easy way to tell if you have Apple Pay is to pay with a Visa or MC while in airplane mode. Wallet will then show a transaction amount next to "Payment" for the card that was used. Alternatively, EMV-related information will typically print on the receipt (AID, etc.) if EMV contactless was used.

(Non-exhaustive) list of EMV contactless supporting merchants in the US:
  • 7-Eleven
  • 99 Ranch
  • Albertsons (Safeway, Vons, Pak N Save, Jewel, Acme, Shaws, Star, Carrs, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Haggen, Eagle, Lucky UT/SoCal)
  • Apple Store*†
  • Athleta
  • Auntie Anne’s Pretzels
  • Banana Republic
  • Costco Wholesale
  • CVS
  • DuaneReade*
  • El Pollo Loco
  • EG Group US (Quik Stop, Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill) Note: cashier must press "Electronic Payment" to activate NFC
  • Five Below*
  • Five Guys
  • GAP
  • Grocery Outlet*
  • Harmon's Grocery
  • H&M*
  • Jolibee
  • Kohl's*
  • Lush Cosmetics*
  • Maverik
  • McDonald's*
  • Meijer
  • Old Navy
  • Panera Bread
  • PetSmart
  • Ray's Food Place
  • Round Table Pizza
  • Royal Farms
  • Red Ribbon Bakeshop
  • Sheetz
  • Sherm's Thunderbird Discount Markets Inc.*
  • Sprouts
  • Staples*
  • Starbucks*
  • Subway
  • Walgreens*
  • Weis Markets
  • All businesses that use Square and support contactless*
  • All businesses that use Clover and support EMV†**
  • All businesses that use First Data standalone terminals (e.g. FD100+FD35, FD130) with EMV enabled**

* CDCVM support confirmed
** CDCVM support depends on store/restaurant
† CDCVM supported in MSD mode

Print Wikipost

USA contactless payment cards (2022 - 2023)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2022, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by RedLight2015
i was at the BK drive thru earlier today and used Apple Pay without issue.
Good to hear confirmation. Seems that the article was just mistake-leden.

Anyway, it might be time to do Amtrak up to LA again. Note the PIN pad in this screenshot:

I've seen it in another Amtrak video recently, too, so it's likely on all of their trains by now. No idea if contactless is supported or just EMV.
Old Feb 13, 2022, 4:18 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by tmiw
I've seen it in another Amtrak video recently, too, so it's likely on all of their trains by now. No idea if contactless is supported or just EMV.
I'd have to look back through here and the now closed thread on EMV to see if I posted at the time, but my most recent transaction is 5 years ago for a purchase on the Capitol Corridor. I was on the Coast Starlight 4 months ago with klashn from SLO-SJC, but we got a roommette and left cash tips for dinner.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Majuki
I'd have to look back through here and the now closed thread on EMV to see if I posted at the time, but my most recent transaction is 5 years ago for a purchase on the Capitol Corridor. I was on the Coast Starlight 4 months ago with klashn from SLO-SJC, but we got a roommette and left cash tips for dinner.
Honestly, even if it was just EMV, it would be an improvement. I remember them swiping all cards offline and then actually charging them a day or two later, even if the train had Wi-Fi onboard.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 4:07 am

I checked into the Sheraton Kauai Resort. This payment terminal with Evalon branding showed tap as an option along with the Pay logos. I tapped my card, but the receptionist said the terminal didn't accept the payment. I inserted the second time around, but I did notice two preauths on my card.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 10:47 am

I checked into the Sheraton Kauai Resort. This payment terminal with Evalon branding showed tap as an option along with the Pay logos. I tapped my card, but the receptionist said the terminal didn't accept the payment. I inserted the second time around, but I did notice two preauths on my card.
​​​​​​Report them or it'll never get fixed
https://usa.visa.com/Forms/visa-rules.html
Old Feb 18, 2022, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by PrendellHiggins
​​​​​​Report them or it'll never get fixed
This wasn't a case of a merchant rejecting a card, and for clarification this was with the American Express card, which was a converted SPG card. I posted right before I called it a night, so perhaps my wording wasn't as clear as it could have been.

The payment terminal had the Apple Pay and Google Pay logos on the screen as well as the Tap/Insert/Swipe messaging. I tapped the card, but for some reason the system didn't register the preauth payment, so the receptionist had me present the card a second time. I didn't tap the second time, but I saw that two preauths showed up on my account online. Therefore, it looks like the first preauth with the contactless transaction was in fact successful. I don't know why it didn't register on the receptionist's side.

I remember tmiw trying some contactless payments at Marriott properties in the San Diego area, but I think that was at some of the concessions, not to check in at the hotel. This is the first time I've seen the tap wording and Pay logos on the screen at a Marriott, so I thought I'd try.
PrendellHiggins likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I remember tmiw trying some contactless payments at Marriott properties in the San Diego area, but I think that was at some of the concessions, not to check in at the hotel. This is the first time I've seen the tap wording and Pay logos on the screen at a Marriott, so I thought I'd try.
Sounds like they might not have combined systems when SPG merged? Pre-merger Marriott locations are definitely EMV only for check-in as of late last year, but at least some of the rest of the hotel facilities (e.g. Starbucks, maybe the sit-down restaurants?) support contactless.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 1:35 pm

Sounds like they might not have combined systems when SPG merged? Pre-merger Marriott locations are definitely EMV only for check-in as of late last year, but at least some of the rest of the hotel facilities (e.g. Starbucks, maybe the sit-down restaurants?) support contactless.
It's possible. This is the first location where I remember contactless being available with the logos appearing on the terminal. I think back in December I tried tapping the payment card at check in at the Renaissance in Charleston, SC, but it failed. I'd have to go back and search my previous posts.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 5:44 pm

Angry Contactless Problems at Jersey Mike's

I have always had problems with contactless at Jersey Mike's. It used to be that I had to always tap twice before it would go through. Today I noticed that they had some new hardware, but I'm not sure what it is. They seem to have made things worse. Whenever I would try to tap my phone it would either do nothing or say "Phone moved too fast". I tried about 5 times with the cashier trying to help me before I gave up and inserted. Very strangely, the contactless reader is on the bottom of the device. I've attached some photos of what it looked like. Somehow Jersey Mike's seems to be unable to make contactless work smoothly. I don't have any problems with other places when using contactless.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LoveClassicMusic0205
I have always had problems with contactless at Jersey Mike's. It used to be that I had to always tap twice before it would go through. Today I noticed that they had some new hardware, but I'm not sure what it is. They seem to have made things worse. Whenever I would try to tap my phone it would either do nothing or say "Phone moved too fast". I tried about 5 times with the cashier trying to help me before I gave up and inserted. Very strangely, the contactless reader is on the bottom of the device. I've attached some photos of what it looked like. Somehow Jersey Mike's seems to be unable to make contactless work smoothly. I don't have any problems with other places when using contactless.
Once the one across from my work switches out their iPP250s (they just opened a couple of months ago), I'll get a closer look as what exactly it is. No problems tapping otherwise, FWIW, but I also usually use a Visa there.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I filled up at a Gilbarco Chevron yesterday that apparently supported EMV contactless at the pump. The pump even asked for PIN when I tapped my UNFCU credit card. Will need to see if the Wayne one near me can properly read that card now too (it simply gave errors for it in the past while reading Google Pay and other cards with no problem).

Just need Shell to actually enable contactless at the pump and we'll have pretty good coverage of the two most important merchant categories I had mentioned before: gas pumps and grocery stores.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 10:57 am

Programs: Skymiles
https://www.mobility-payments.com/20...banked-riders/

LA Metro is enabling Open-Loop payments by the 2028 Olympics. Yikes, thats quite a ways out, at least they offer Apple Pay/Google Pay Tap card at the moment. Also, there is this talk about them going fareless, I happened to sit in those meetings, and fareless isn't going to happen, ultimately, they will just be providing free TAP passes to those who need them. (which you can load into G Pay or Apple Pay by scanning the card into your mobile wallet)
Old Feb 23, 2022, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

https://www.mobility-payments.com/20...banked-riders/

LA Metro is enabling Open-Loop payments by the 2028 Olympics. Yikes, thats quite a ways out, at least they offer Apple Pay/Google Pay Tap card at the moment. Also, there is this talk about them going fareless, I happened to sit in those meetings, and fareless isn't going to happen, ultimately, they will just be providing free TAP passes to those who need them. (which you can load into G Pay or Apple Pay by scanning the card into your mobile wallet)
I mean, open loop is a much harder sell when a significant number of residents won't be able to take advantage even if they wanted to, so I get why they're going with the approach they seem to be going with (pilot rollout combined with an expansion of their prepaid debit card program).

The more annoying thing IMO is the TVMs here in San Diego launching with...just magstripe, apparently. Though I haven't checked recently, so they could very well have enabled EMV and/or contactless by now.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 12:19 pm

Programs: Skymiles
I mean, open loop is a much harder sell when a significant number of residents won't be able to take advantage even if they wanted to, so I get why they're going with the approach they seem to be going with (pilot rollout combined with an expansion of their prepaid debit card program).

The more annoying thing IMO is the TVMs here in San Diego launching with...just magstripe, apparently. Though I haven't checked recently, so they could very well have enabled EMV and/or contactless by now.
Speaking of which, it seems all of these new transit cards, like the new OMNY Card, Pronto card for San Diego, etc, are using what's called white label EMV, in which it is an EMV card, but instead of riding on traditional debit/credit card rails, it rides on a closed-loop payment rail, but because it is riding on EMV already, open payments can be enabled quite easily. Can someone scan a PRONTO card and see? or the new OMNY card?

The meeting also said that London's Oyster, and Sydney's Opal, are moving away from Mi-Fare to Closed-Loop EMV. OMNY is already closed loop EMV, as evidenced by the account number scheme on the cards, also OMNY was mentioned in the meeting. Ventra, and Key Card are supposed to move to closed-loop EMV soon, along with Clipper and TAP accordingly.

https://www.mobility-payments.com/20...tion-contract/

It also seems that London Oyster may no longer be using Cubic Transportation, as they put out a new RFP for a new fare collection system to replace Oyster. Who knows who will get it, perhaps Init, or Vix? Or maybe Cubic again if they win it again. If Cubic loses this one, thats yet another major customer gone. They just lost San Diego to Init, and Cubic is right in SD's backyard.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Speaking of which, it seems all of these new transit cards, like the new OMNY Card, Pronto card for San Diego, etc, are using what's called white label EMV, in which it is an EMV card, but instead of riding on traditional debit/credit card rails, it rides on a closed-loop payment rail, but because it is riding on EMV already, open payments can be enabled quite easily. Can someone scan a PRONTO card and see? or the new OMNY card?
FWIW, the "Credit Card Reader Pro" app on my phone just says "card not supported" when I try reading my Pronto card. cardpeek might provide more info, though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.