Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless payment cards (2022 - 2023)

Old Jan 8, 2022, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SPN Lifer
Older (archived) threads:
2017- 21
2014-16

- - - - - -

FAQ
  1. What is EMV contactless?

EMV contactless is a form of near-field communication (NFC)/contactless that uses the same security and encryption that is used when inserting a chip card into an EMV-enabled terminal. Other than not having to sign/enter a PIN for smaller transactions, the security is effectively the same as chip and PIN/chip and signature. (EMV stands for Europay, MasterCard & Visa, the 1994 founders of the EMV chip or smart chip technology.)

In contrast, MSD contactless is an older version that is designed just and only for the United States. This effectively uses much the same flow as a swiped card transaction with the same rules.
  2. What is CDCVM?

CDCVM stands for Consumer Device Cardholder Verification Method. It's a method of telling the terminal that the customer verified their identity using their mobile device. Terminals that support it will waive the signature/PIN requirement typically in place for larger transactions, potentially saving time at checkout.

More info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202527

3. Does EMV contactless need to be supported to support CDCVM?

Typically, yes. (However, there are some exceptions below.)

4. Why can't I tap my foreign-issued contactless card at most places in the US?

This is likely because the store does not support EMV contactless. Foreign issued contactless cards typically do not support MSD contactless since other markets have had EMV for quite some time. In contrast, most stores in the US have yet to get the necessary certifications/software for EMV contactless so they are typically MSD-only--if contactless is enabled at all. (See below for a list of stores where your card will likely work.)

5. I paid for a purchase with Apple/Android/Samsung Pay and still had to sign for it.

Most likely, the store in question does not have EMV contactless enabled (see above question). However, there are instances where CDCVM does not work even with EMV contactless enabled. Restaurants that allow tip adjust, for example--where the tip amount is written on a paper receipt and entered by the staff later--cannot support CDCVM. It may simply be a matter of the merchant's processor or the POS software in use not supporting it too.

Another common reason is if you used a US-issued AmEx card with a mobile wallet. AmEx currently does not allow EMV contactless support in mobile wallets for these cards, so they always run as MSD contactless. Because of this, CDCVM is not supported (with very few exceptions, as noted below).

Note: if you used Samsung Pay, you may have paid with MST instead of NFC. Since MST emulates the magnetic pulses that the terminal receives when swiping a regular card, the normal magstripe rules apply.

6. How can I tell whether EMV contactless was used?

An easy way to tell if you have Apple Pay is to pay with a Visa or MC while in airplane mode. Wallet will then show a transaction amount next to "Payment" for the card that was used. Alternatively, EMV-related information will typically print on the receipt (AID, etc.) if EMV contactless was used.

(Non-exhaustive) list of EMV contactless supporting merchants in the US:
  • 7-Eleven
  • 99 Ranch
  • Albertsons (Safeway, Vons, Pak N Save, Jewel, Acme, Shaws, Star, Carrs, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Haggen, Eagle, Lucky UT/SoCal)
  • Apple Store*†
  • Athleta
  • Auntie Anne’s Pretzels
  • Banana Republic
  • Costco Wholesale
  • CVS
  • DuaneReade*
  • El Pollo Loco
  • EG Group US (Quik Stop, Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill) Note: cashier must press "Electronic Payment" to activate NFC
  • Five Below*
  • Five Guys
  • GAP
  • Grocery Outlet*
  • Harmon's Grocery
  • H&M*
  • Jolibee
  • Kohl's*
  • Lush Cosmetics*
  • Maverik
  • McDonald's*
  • Meijer
  • Old Navy
  • Panera Bread
  • PetSmart
  • Ray's Food Place
  • Round Table Pizza
  • Royal Farms
  • Red Ribbon Bakeshop
  • Sheetz
  • Sherm's Thunderbird Discount Markets Inc.*
  • Sprouts
  • Staples*
  • Starbucks*
  • Subway
  • Walgreens*
  • Weis Markets
  • All businesses that use Square and support contactless*
  • All businesses that use Clover and support EMV†**
  • All businesses that use First Data standalone terminals (e.g. FD100+FD35, FD130) with EMV enabled**

* CDCVM support confirmed
** CDCVM support depends on store/restaurant
† CDCVM supported in MSD mode

Print Wikipost

USA contactless payment cards (2022 - 2023)

Old Aug 27, 2022, 2:46 am

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by scibot
I bet they are changing out the pinpads to another brand just like Arby's is doing right now. So it should be working again in a month or two.

The receipt looks the same as before but now the AID is listed on the receipt.

Here is why it was disabled they are actually upgrading to Lane/7000s with everything enabled and yes the AID is printed on the receipt now.
Interesting. This Arby's installed the MX915s within the past 7-8 months, before that was swipe only on Radiant. I was surprised they installed them at the time, they appeared brand new.

Looks like Loves that are running at least Carls Jr./Hardees are switching to this same system Arbys uses. Unclear for their other brands.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by storewanderer
Interesting. This Arby's installed the MX915s within the past 7-8 months, before that was swipe only on Radiant. I was surprised they installed them at the time, they appeared brand new.

Looks like Loves that are running at least Carls Jr./Hardees are switching to this same system Arbys uses. Unclear for their other brands.
My Arby's location was the same as it has been remodeled in the past six to eight months when they added the new registers and the MX915s. For those Carl's Jr at Love's that is far better then the msr readers they had before. I will check out a Carl's Jr at a Love's next month.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Speaking of updates, I went to a Del Taco today that apparently uses P400s. I guess that's what the ones that didn't get Equinox terminals are going/have gone with? (Previously those were using VX820s.)

Old Aug 27, 2022, 10:53 pm

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by tmiw
Speaking of updates, I went to a Del Taco today that apparently uses P400s. I guess that's what the ones that didn't get Equinox terminals are going/have gone with? (Previously those were using VX820s.)

The equinox terminals actually perform quite well, but because of how small it is, I can see why the P400 is preferred.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 12:50 am

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
One of the gas stations in my area with that Comdata POS sort of has tap working. You can tap and American Express at the pump and it goes through EMV Contactless. Tapping any other card type, or a phone, at the pump, does not go through. It pretends to go through and even asks if you want a receipt and wants your zip code and then it says Card Declined or Please See Cashier. Also they have a zip code prompt after the EMV Chip Read or after the Tap on the pumps; idiots.

Inside the store nothing has changed. The MX915 activates for Tap and has Paypass logo but if you try to tap it tries to authorize then declines. Also they want a signature for a $1.29 transaction inside with a Chip Card, wow.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 3:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RedLight2015
The equinox terminals actually perform quite well, but because of how small it is, I can see why the P400 is preferred.
Honestly, unless one needs to support debit and/or do some sort of store loyalty thing it's going to get pretty hard for merchants in the US to justify anything more than some sort of Toast/Square style puck facing the customer. Perhaps that's going to happen more and more during the next round of terminal upgrades (assuming Verifone and Ingenico actually release such a thing, that is)?
Old Aug 28, 2022, 6:50 am

Honestly, unless one needs to support debit and/or do some sort of store loyalty thing it's going to get pretty hard for merchants in the US to justify anything more than some sort of Toast/Square style puck facing the customer. Perhaps that's going to happen more and more during the next round of terminal upgrades (assuming Verifone and Ingenico actually release such a thing, that is)?
I don’t know. Now we have smaller PIN pads available and a lot of merchants still are going for gigantic screen devices.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 9:36 am

Well Del Taco was bought out by Jack In The Box which seems to use P200 pinpads which seem to break a lot. Maybe they had bugs to fix in the first batches of P200s or the registers break. I'd guess that is probably why they went with Verifone.

Originally Posted by storewanderer
One of the gas stations in my area with that Comdata POS sort of has tap working. You can tap and American Express at the pump and it goes through EMV Contactless. Tapping any other card type, or a phone, at the pump, does not go through. It pretends to go through and even asks if you want a receipt and wants your zip code and then it says Card Declined or Please See Cashier. Also they have a zip code prompt after the EMV Chip Read or after the Tap on the pumps; idiots.

Inside the store nothing has changed. The MX915 activates for Tap and has Paypass logo but if you try to tap it tries to authorize then declines. Also they want a signature for a $1.29 transaction inside with a Chip Card, wow.
What kind of pumps do they have? Sapp uses Wayne pumps without ctls readers. The place Sapp Bros which uses that system was supposed to get new machines but it still hasn't happened... That system really needs to be retired.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RedLight2015
I don’t know. Now we have smaller PIN pads available and a lot of merchants still are going for gigantic screen devices.
Debit and loyalty support comprise a large number of the major retailers, so for sure those puck style readers aren't going to become the majority. I have noticed some downsizing of terminals, though, at the places that can get away with it. One example off the top of my head is Wendy's when they finally started getting contactless.

Originally Posted by scibot
Well Del Taco was bought out by Jack In The Box which seems to use P200 pinpads which seem to break a lot. Maybe they had bugs to fix in the first batches of P200s or the registers break. I'd guess that is probably why they went with Verifone.
I thought Jack in the Box used P400s too?

Regardless, that buyout happened too soon for anything to have already happened IT-wise, especially at franchisees. Or so I would think, anyway.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 4:43 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Do these small readers have wireless capabilities? They look like they might be useful for sit-down restaurants.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by cbn42
Do these small readers have wireless capabilities? They look like they might be useful for sit-down restaurants.
They are USB I believe or they’re Bluetooth for connecting to something like an iPad.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cbn42
Depends on the reader.

That said, restaurants' reluctance to allow customers to run their own cards isn't a technology problem IMO. For instance, while it's not exactly the same situation, a whole ton of people seem to hate QR codes too. Granted, it's very possible that just like the article says, most of the dislike is due to them (at least around here) tending to only display a menu when scanned.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 7:30 pm

So the cashier told me that the wind destroyed one of these new gas pumps with the big screens. You'd think a person would do that but not the wind. This is at a newer Shell station. Still haven't found a Shell with contactless working outside but it's pretty darn fast inside. This is the 2nd station that I know of locally that has these pumps with huge screens.

New pumps

Last edited by scibot; Aug 29, 2022 at 6:26 am
Old Aug 28, 2022, 9:57 pm

That said, restaurants' reluctance to allow customers to run their own cards isn't a technology problem IMO. For instance, while it's not exactly the same situation, a whole ton of people seem to hate QR codes too. Granted, it's very possible that just like the article says, most of the dislike is due to them (at least around here) tending to only display a menu when scanned.
Yep, I've typically checked out the "pay with QR code" that some restaurants offer and they range from very good (brings up total and supports entering card info or Apple Pay...presumably Google/Samsung as an option on other devices) to downright annoying (make an account before we let you pay). I feel like for anyone that gets the make-an-account prompt, they're not going to try QR codes elsewhere.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 10:32 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by ecs0013
I feel like for anyone that gets the make-an-account prompt, they're not going to try QR codes elsewhere.
I would take it a step further and say any QR code that doesn't enable a mobile payment without entering the card info will make people hesitant to pay by that method. Why enter in all of the information manually versus let the waitstaff run the card fo ryou?
ecs0013 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.