Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Capital One | Rewards Miles
Reload this Page >

Contesting Paypal charge made with Capital One CC

Old Dec 5, 2021, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, SPG, UR, MR

I bought two $180 online courses that were useless, didn't meet what the seller was describing, and wanted to get a refund for them.

I don't want to open a Paypal case and deal with the seller as he's been difficult to deal with regarding other matters and I know it will end in arguing, etc. Also I still have one month of his forum access and it would cause issues there most likely.

Can I contest the two charges with Capital One, or will I need to work directly with Paypal?

If so was wondering if that process would work the same one would normally contest a charge, or if they would direct me to Paypal, etc.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 12:04 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Did you make the purchase with a personal card or with a Business card?
Old Dec 5, 2021, 12:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Unless you want to have your PayPal account closed and PayPal sending the disputed amount to collections, I would dispute it directly with PayPal.
hhdl likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 7:18 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by reclusive46
Unless you want to have your PayPal account closed and PayPal sending the disputed amount to collections, I would dispute it directly with PayPal.
I guess this is one downside of using Paypal linked to CC for payments. I am curious how this eventually plays out.

LAX
Old Dec 5, 2021, 9:14 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
I don't see this as a downside, that is why one uses PayPal. Seems like you want to refund you cake, but still take nibbles (forum access). You need to start the dispute/refund request with PayPal.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, SPG, UR, MR
Originally Posted by mia
Did you make the purchase with a personal card or with a Business card?
With a Capital One Quicksilver, I believe that is a personal card. I checked the website and didn't say whether it was a personal or business card.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 3:17 pm

Programs: DL, WN, B6, Marriot, IHG
It's to my understanding that when you dispute a PayPal charge with your credit card company, the transaction is charged back to PayPal and then PayPal will give the seller an opportunity to contest the chargeback or hold the seller liable.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 4:12 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by sikorloa
With a Capital One Quicksilver, I believe that is a personal card.....
Correct. Capital One's business card brand is Spark. This eliminates one potential complication when disputing a charge based on Quality.
Old Dec 12, 2021, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by reclusive46
I had a similar case in the past, except the CC linked to PayPal was an Amex. Did a chargeback with Amex. A couple of days later received an email from PayPal that they received the chargeback request. They reminded me that I can dispute charges with them directly in the future, but that's about all that happened. My PP account is still active years later.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 7:37 am

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by blaz
I had a similar case in the past, except the CC linked to PayPal was an Amex. Did a chargeback with Amex. A couple of days later received an email from PayPal that they received the chargeback request. They reminded me that I can dispute charges with them directly in the future, but that's about all that happened. My PP account is still active years later.
Yup, it's not like PayPal is out the money. They're going to pull it back from whoever you paid initially.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 1:17 am

Before Soup Plantation went out of business, I had purchased a $100 gift card from them, online. I used a credit card linked to PayPal to pay for the gift card. They went out of business before I could use the card. When I went to SP's website, it basically said that they will not be refunding gift cards but that you can try a dispute through your credit card provider if you paid with a credit card. I contacted my credit card provider/bank (Chase) and asked them if I should dispute through Chase or open a PayPal claim. They directed me to start with a PP claim. So, I did. And - boom - instant refund of my $100 from PP. I was very pleased.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.