Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to gague value of credit card deals?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2021, 7:16 pm
Original Poster

Question How to gague value of credit card deals?

Hi everyone, I hope this is the right place to ask--

I'm considering taking one of Delta's current credit card offers:

70000 miles for spending $2000 in first 2 months

I don't see those deals mentioned here and I wonder if it's because they aren't that great.

My usual credit card rewards: I settle for 3% back on certain purchases and 1% back on the rest from a typical credit card even though I assume there are occasionally better deals that I don't have time to keep an eye out for.

Assuming eventually I could use 70000 miles for an economy ticket to somewhere I would have paid to go anyway, and that I'd normally get only $20-$60 cash back from $2000 in purchases, that seems like a pretty good bargain for those miles.

What am I missing? Why isn't this all the buzz here?
Old Apr 23, 2021, 11:15 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by paul4548
What am I missing? Why isn't this all the buzz here?
A couple of things

AmEx has its own forum, so the buzz would be there

And there is a reason why they are referred to as SkyPesos (Skymiles by DL). Just stop in DL forum to see how hard it is to use 70K SkyPesos for something a flyer can actually fly
kalderlake likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2021, 4:13 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Discussion is here:

Ongoing offers for Delta American Express cards

Spring 2021 Delta Amex Welcome Offers
kalderlake and 355F1 like this.
Old Apr 24, 2021, 10:26 am

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by EmailKid
A couple of things

AmEx has its own forum, so the buzz would be there

And there is a reason why they are referred to as SkyPesos (Skymiles by DL). Just stop in DL forum to see how hard it is to use 70K SkyPesos for something a flyer can actually fly
When you have a Delta AMEX it is extremely easy to use Skymiles. They are worth $0.01 each at a floor. So 70,000 “SkyPesos” is worth a minimum of $700 towards flights. Not a bad deal at all, TBH.
Old Apr 24, 2021, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by jags86
When you have a Delta AMEX it is extremely easy to use Skymiles. They are worth $0.01 each at a floor. So 70,000 “SkyPesos” is worth a minimum of $700 towards flights. Not a bad deal at all, TBH.
That is good info for us who only read posts from disgruntled DL flyers who quote ridiculous amounts of points needed for redemption - with few rare exceptions.
355F1 likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2021, 10:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jags86
When you have a Delta AMEX it is extremely easy to use Skymiles
So if you cancel the card, it becomes a problem to use your Skymiles points?? Why?
Old Apr 25, 2021, 7:24 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
So if you cancel the card, it becomes a problem to use your Skymiles points?? Why?
When you hold a Skymiles credit card you are able to use an additional redemption option called Pay with Miles in which the miles have a fixed monetary value. This establishes a minimum value of $0.01 per mile.

In any event you do not want to open any American Express card, use it only to make the minimum spend to earn a bonus, and then cancel. This will make it difficult to qualify for future American Express new account bonuses. This is explained in the terms of the offer, and American Express does have the software to apply these policies:

Welcome offer not available to applicants who have or have had this or previous versions of this Card. We may also consider the number of American Express Cards you have opened and closed as well as other factors in making a decision on your welcome offer eligibility.

70,000 Bonus Miles
To qualify for the 70,000 bonus miles, you must make eligible purchases with your Delta SkyMiles® Gold American Express Card that total $2,000 or more (the "Threshold Amount") within your first 3 months of Card Membership starting from the date your account is approved. Miles will be credited to your account 8-12 weeks after you reach the Threshold Amount. Bonus Miles may appear on your account in more than one deposit. If we in our sole discretion determine that you have engaged in abuse, misuse, or gaming in connection with the welcome offer in any way or that you intend to do so (for example, if you applied for one or more cards to obtain a welcome offer (s) that we did not intend for you; if you cancel or downgrade your account within 12 months after acquiring it; or if you cancel or return purchases you made to meet the Threshold Amount), we may not credit bonus miles to your account. We may also cancel this Card account and other Card accounts you may have with us. Eligible purchases can be made by the Basic Card Member and any Additional Card Members on a single Card account. Eligible purchases are purchases for goods and services minus returns and other credits. Eligible purchases to meet the spend requirement do NOT include fees or interest charges, cash advances, purchases of traveler's checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, purchases of gift cards, person-to-person payments, or purchases of any cash equivalents. Additional Card Members on your account are not eligible for this offer. To receive the 70,000 bonus miles, your Card account must not be canceled or past due at the time of fulfillment.
EmailKid likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2021, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
When you hold a Skymiles credit card you are able to use an additional redemption option called Pay with Miles in which the miles have a fixed monetary value. This establishes a minimum value of $0.01 per mile.
I can see that makes it straightforward. But you seem to imply that it's not easy or transparent to use miles otherwise? I can't find their mileage chart any more but based on some different booking that I tried out (for flights 5 months out), I found several destinations where points was notably cheaper than USD for the tickets, and some where it was ~$0.01 per mile. So I don't understand what the difficulty is supposed to be?
Old Apr 25, 2021, 2:37 pm

.....I can't find their mileage chart any more but based on some different booking that I tried out (for flights 5 months out), I found several destinations where points was notably cheaper than USD for the tickets, and some where it was ~$0.01 per mile. So I don't understand what the difficulty is supposed to be?
DL (and recently UA) did away with charts, that is why you cannot find it The pricing in points is dynamic now, hence reports of 500K miles for a trip to asia, 100K for domestic trips

There are also (far fewer) reports of someone snagging a good deal, but the odds of a General DL memeber finding one are pretty slim from reports that I've read (FWIW, for my two DL trips in 2019 I didn't even bother with trying to accumulate miles and didn't bother with putting in my DL #).

But we are getting away from Credit Card Programs topic at this point ..... DL forum would probably be better for further discussion about ease, or lack thereof of using DL miles for redemptions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.