Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Anyone else notice that credit cards have hard expiration dates nowadays?

Old Mar 26, 21, 3:21 am
Original Poster

What I mean by "hard expiration date" is that if the cardholder gets a new card, it will have the same expiration date, and that trying to get the expiration date extended - something very important to extended global travelers - by even a few months is not allowed, basically forcing the cardmember to be sitting at his home for the month or two before the card expires to get the new one with a new expiration date. I have had this problem with TD Bank, and now I seem to have the same problem with CapitalOne (although perhaps my E-mails to the executives there will actually allow me this; the regular customer service rep in India said it couldn't be done). Yes, I know that Visa & Mastercard have a way of getting a new card to a cardholder wherever he is at, but when I did this with my TD Bank card, the first time the card got held up at customs (?), and then I got another card, and it was a royal PITA to actually take physical control of it (I had to go to an out of the way UPS office; this was a big city in Russia), so I'd prefer to avoid this at all costs.

I know folks are going to say "just get a card from ...", but I have gotten declined trying to get new credit (I prefer to keep the balances so that I can make a killing when Emerging Markets stocks make their post-COVID comeback), so that is not an option. And I'd really like to keep using this CapitalOne card as it is the only one that doesn't charge a foreign fee. Yes, I have debit cards I could use, but I like the protection that a true credit card offers.
Old Mar 26, 21, 7:00 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by swampwiz View Post
....I prefer to keep the balances so that I can make a killing when Emerging Markets stocks make their post-COVID comeback.... doesn't charge a foreign fee. .....
Let's see if I understand correctly. You are carrying a balance, and paying interest, because you are fully invested in stocks, but you are concerned about temporarily using another card, even though the foreign transaction fees would be much less than the interest?
Old Mar 26, 21, 7:21 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Perhaps the increase in pandemic-related relocations has made things easier, but I had no problems last summer asking my card issuer to send the new card 60 days ahead. A bit of address verification for anti-fraud purposes and I had my new card 2 days later.
mia and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Mar 26, 21, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia View Post
Let's see if I understand correctly. You are carrying a balance, and paying interest, because you are fully invested in stocks, but you are concerned about temporarily using another card, even though the foreign transaction fees would be much less than the interest?
You don't seem to understand. The interest is orthogonal to the foreign transaction fee. I would be paying down a balance to gain available credit. I don't want to use a checking account debit card because of the limitations in fraud liability.
Old Mar 26, 21, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

UPDATE: I was able to speak to a Capital One upper-level supervisor who was able to serve my request, giving me an expiration date 2 years past the current one. The number I used to call is 703-729-2500. This is something I was not able to do with TD Card.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 26, 21, 2:47 pm

Programs: HH Gold,
I have not had this issue with any of my cards. I have had new cards shipped a couple of months early as I was going to be away. The expiration date remained way out in the future. Sorry you had this issue with TD Bank. You would think they would want you to use their card while traveling.
Often1 and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Mar 26, 21, 3:37 pm

Programs: Jetblue, Turkish, Hilton
I don't understand where the problem is. If you wish to have a new physical card with new account number and expiration date, just say so, or tell the bank you lost the card.
Old Mar 26, 21, 3:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You don't seem to understand. The interest is orthogonal to the foreign transaction fee. I would be paying down a balance to gain available credit. I don't want to use a checking account debit card because of the limitations in fraud liability.
This is a credit limit or credit availability problem. Unrelated to the issue you first raised.

In any event, I would never travel without a secondary credit card with a hefty credit limit. Stuff happens and when it does and one is far from home, it can be a real mess. If I have to purchase a one-way F ticket back to the US, I don't want to worry about waiting for some problem to get resolved.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 27, 21, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ovacikar View Post
I don't understand where the problem is. If you wish to have a new physical card with new account number and expiration date, just say so, or tell the bank you lost the card.
Had I done this, CapitalOne would have sent me a replacement card with the same expiration date. Yes, for most other credit card issuers, I have gotten a card with a new date. I was just pointing out that this is the 2nd issuer to have this rule, so I had detected a trend.

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
This is a credit limit or credit availability problem. Unrelated to the issue you first raised.

In any event, I would never travel without a secondary credit card with a hefty credit limit. Stuff happens and when it does and one is far from home, it can be a real mess. If I have to purchase a one-way F ticket back to the US, I don't want to worry about waiting for some problem to get resolved.
Uh, no it's not. Now the fact that I don't have the ability to get a card from a different issuer has some relevance, but I was addressing this rule as an orthogonal issue.

Last edited by EmailKid; Mar 27, 21 at 10:19 pm Reason: Back to back posts
Old Mar 31, 21, 10:45 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Had I done this, CapitalOne would have sent me a replacement card with the same expiration date. Yes, for most other credit card issuers, I have gotten a card with a new date. I was just pointing out that this is the 2nd issuer to have this rule, so I had detected a trend.
Are you in the U.S.? I don't think this is common - my experience with AmEx and Chase is that the expiration date is extended any time you request a card (for any reason - either lost/stolen, or in the case of AmEx last fall, they were offering tap-enabled cards to replace the ones not so equipped). As an example, I had AmEx cards due to expire in 2023, and the replacements I received last fall expire in 2025.

Mind if I ask what other issuer besides CapitalOne gave you this issue?
​​​​​​
Old Mar 31, 21, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
The previous (existing) expiration carried over when I recently changed one Bank of America product to another.
Old Apr 1, 21, 4:39 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA Gold/MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by strickerj View Post
Are you in the U.S.? I don't think this is common - my experience with AmEx and Chase is that the expiration date is extended any time you request a card (for any reason - either lost/stolen, or in the case of AmEx last fall, they were offering tap-enabled cards to replace the ones not so equipped). As an example, I had AmEx cards due to expire in 2023, and the replacements I received last fall expire in 2025.

Mind if I ask what other issuer besides CapitalOne gave you this issue?
​​​​​​
It just depends on how the bank process the request. If it's a replacement card due to card defect or change in product, it can carry the same expiration date and CVV. If it's a replacement due to lost or stolen card, it will have a new card number and expiration date.
SPN Lifer and strickerj like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: