Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Many VISA cards losing CDW, Extended Warranty, Purchase protection

Old Feb 2, 21, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

H/T to Doctor Of Credit for this article. Mentions that standard Visa cards may lose these benefits. Unknown if premium ones will.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/many-...se-protection/
Old Feb 9, 21, 9:18 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTP, Hertz President's Club
Really a pity. Noticed this on my Cash+ card which was my primary rental car credit card. Had Hertz claim door dings at YYZ. Once I mentioned I had CDW on my rental car (and it was primary coverage), the Hertz rep pointed me to the website, told me to file claim, and give the claim number to them. Did so, they said thanks, and I was totally uninvolved. Fairly painless.

Seems with the revenue risks (or maybe increased usage) banks are reducing these benefits on cards where they only make money through swipe fees/balances rather than AFs...
Old Feb 12, 21, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by phltraveler View Post
Really a pity. Noticed this on my Cash+ card which was my primary rental car credit card. Had Hertz claim door dings at YYZ. Once I mentioned I had CDW on my rental car (and it was primary coverage), the Hertz rep pointed me to the website, told me to file claim, and give the claim number to them. Did so, they said thanks, and I was totally uninvolved. Fairly painless.

Seems with the revenue risks (or maybe increased usage) banks are reducing these benefits on cards where they only make money through swipe fees/balances rather than AFs...
I'm going with increased usage as the reason. A lot of people didn't even know these benefits existed until recently (within the last 5 or so years), after all. One saving grace is that it's still hard to justify cutting CDW on cards designed for travel use, but I'm not sure whether that's due to decreased travel or simply because it's still expected on those cards.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: