Vintage-looking current credit cards

Old Dec 1, 2020, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Vintage-looking current credit cards

Are there any banks in the US that issue vintage-looking Visa or MasterCard credit cards?

You know... blue/white/brown for a Visa, white background with the red and yellow circles for MC...
Old Dec 1, 2020, 4:03 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Colors, graphics, layouts, fonts, etc. go out of style (the definition of "vintage") and are unlikely to appear on a current card unless somebody here knows otherwise. If you want a actual old credit card (not usable for transactions), ebay offers lots of them.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by safigan
Colors, graphics, layouts, fonts, etc. go out of style (the definition of "vintage") and are unlikely to appear on a current card unless somebody here knows otherwise. If you want a actual old credit card (not usable for transactions), ebay offers lots of them.
I suspect the networks have specific requirements as to their branding, too, which makes an issuer going against them unlikely at best.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by fliesdelta
Are there any banks in the US that issue vintage-looking Visa or MasterCard credit cards?

You know... blue/white/brown for a Visa, white background with the red and yellow circles for MC...
Those would be cool.

Another thing to consider is that when card companies move to a new card art / form, they are less incentivized to keep the old ones around as there's a cost to maintain. They have to work with vendors to make sure they can print, manufacture, etc. So the more variations in the marketplace, the more problematic it comes to maintain.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 6:35 am

Programs: United, Marriott, Ritz-Carlton, Hilton
About as vintage as it gets is AMEX Member Since.

Old Dec 2, 2020, 8:21 am

Now that most of the cards have tap to pay, you could just 3d print a thin sleeve over it and print any design on it!
Old Dec 2, 2020, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Need
Now that most of the cards have tap to pay, you could just 3d print a thin sleeve over it and print any design on it!
Tap to pay is still not 100% of merchants here, unfortunately, even with a pandemic raging. You'd need to find a way to be able to remove and reinstall the card easily if you go this route.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by safigan
I have my own old cards, that's not what I'm looking for. I just thought it'd be cool if a current, usable today, Visa or MC existed.

The Amex design hasn't really changed all that much even on the latest iterations of the cards, just the materials.
Old Dec 8, 2020, 9:48 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
VISA publishes this 891 page document, Visa Core Rules and Visa Product and Service Rules:

Originally Posted by Page 78
A Member must obtain prior written approval from Visa for all of the following:

Proposed designs for all form factors intended for use in Visa payments in a physical or digital
form.1,2 These must be submitted to Visa before production and each time the design is
changed
I read this to mean that each and every card design or revision must be submitted to, and approved by, VISA. I assume MasterCard has a similar requirement. An issuer could not decide to issue a card using obsolete versions of the network's trademarks without explicit approval.

Citi was once the world's largest issuer of VISA cards. They famously split because VISA would not allow Citi to issue the Chairman card with the network logo on the back side. VISA insisted it must appear on the front. MasterCard agreed, and the card was issued on MasterCard network, and today most Citi cards are MasterCards.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.