Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Credit Card Trip Delay/Interruption Insurance

Old Nov 5, 20, 4:23 am
Original Poster

Two separate questions:

1) My original flight was Dec 1st A->B->C. Assuming the airline cancelled the flight today (Nov 5th) under a covered reason, and changed my flights to Dec 3rd A->B, Dec 4th B->C, thus causing a delay, would a typical credit card trip delay/interruption insurance cover my hotel/meal at B on Dec 3?

2) Airline's reason given to me was "COVID19", does this fall under "delay of the flight was the result of strike by airline personnel, quarantine, civil commotion, hijack, natural disaster, inclement weather, mechanical breakdown or denied boarding due to overbooking"
Old Nov 5, 20, 8:46 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Insurance is simply a contract between you and a producer (insurance company). Whether your policy covers this will be a matter of the language of your contract. You will need to review that (don't rely on agents and others).

While there are no "general" answers to questions such as this, the exceedingly broad likelihood is that it is unlikely that your situation will be covered.
Old Nov 5, 20, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Insurance is simply a contract between you and a producer (insurance company). Whether your policy covers this will be a matter of the language of your contract. You will need to review that (don't rely on agents and others).

While there are no "general" answers to questions such as this, the exceedingly broad likelihood is that it is unlikely that your situation will be covered.
Thanks this was what I was looking for
Old Nov 5, 20, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by ccbbaa View Post
Thanks this was what I was looking for
It really depends on your insurance contract

Eg chase sapphire reserve,this won't count towards trip delay because of the advance notice

What is not covered?
You are not covered for any Covered Hazard delay that was made public or known to you prior to the departure for the Covered Trip. Also, prepaid expenses are not covered.
​​​​​​​Trip interruption under sapphire reserve doesn't pay out for meals/lodging. Only reimburses nonrefundable costs for travel/hotel etc
Old Nov 6, 20, 1:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by paperwastage View Post
It really depends on your insurance contract

Eg chase sapphire reserve,this won't count towards trip delay because of the advance notice

Trip interruption under sapphire reserve doesn't pay out for meals/lodging. Only reimburses nonrefundable costs for travel/hotel etc

Would Sapphire Reserve cover my prepaid+unrefundable hotel bookings at C on Dec1/Dec2/Dec3?
Old Nov 6, 20, 2:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Would Sapphire Reserve cover my prepaid+unrefundable hotel bookings at C on Dec1/Dec2/Dec3?
Unless you have Sapphire, why would it matter? Each contract is different, and you can't buy the insurance after the trip purchase. It really depends on your policy.
Old Nov 6, 20, 2:11 am

Would Sapphire Reserve cover my prepaid+unrefundable hotel bookings at C on Dec1/De2/Dec3?
https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirereserve2

You read it and you tell me

Additionally, this insurance does not apply to any Accident, Accidental Bodily Injury or loss caused by or resulting from, directly or indirectly:
1) Common Carrier caused delays, unless they are as a result of an organized strike that affects public transportation; 2) travel arrangements canceled or changed by a Common Carrier, Tour Operator, or any travel agent unless the cancellation is the result of severe weather or an organized strike affecting public transportation;
Old Nov 6, 20, 8:22 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
Unless you have Sapphire, why would it matter?
It could matter if you were using this instance as an example, and considering which card to use for future travel purchases.

Search this Thread