Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Any studies/articles how pandemic has affected credit card spend?

Old Sep 6, 2020, 10:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years

Is there any articles out there showing how the pandemic affected credit card spending (on average) as well as types and categories?

While it is probably clear that in term of categories the airline tickets spent was probably the most affected, followed by the lodging/rental cars, what is more interesting is what are other, not so obvious or surprising categories in terms gains and cuts in spent.

Thanks
Old Sep 7, 2020, 1:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
There's this NYTimes article from April that has graphs showing which categories increased and decreased CC/debit card spending (unfortunately not specifically broken down by card type). As expected, travel and restaurants got hit pretty hard while grocery stores saw an increase (even after the panic buying ended).

Also, CC debt has gone down, but that might be more due to recessions causing people to save more in general rather than a wholesale shift to debit card spend.
Old Sep 7, 2020, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Related thread: Card spending metrics, post national emergency

It seems from time to time Chase researchers post what they have learned from their customer transactions.
Old Sep 7, 2020, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tmiw
Also, CC debt has gone down, but that might be more due to recessions causing people to save more in general rather than a wholesale shift to debit card spend.
I wonder how they measure debt. I notice that websites which know my credit info like Credit Karma say that my "debt" has done down in a particular month, but I never had any debt to begin with. They apparently just can't tell a monthly statement total that I'm going to pay off in full by the next due date from true "debt" by looking at my credit report data.

Years ago I heard that there was some consideration being given to noting whether a card had been "paid in full" that month on credit reports, but I haven't noticed it ever actually being added (unless perhaps it was added in some field that many websites don't show).

So are these people who are determining that CC debt has gone digging deeper, and looking only a true debt? Because if they're looking the same way, perhaps part of what they're seeing is people not charging as much monthly on cards as they used to, because they don't have certain things to spend on.

In my case, my hotel cards saw my "debt" go to $0 because I wasn't staying in hotels for work at all for several months (in the early "lockdown" days) like I usually do 3 nights a week.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2020, 10:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Thanks for links, while interesting, it is already outdated after several months.
It will be interesting to know which shifts in spending were temporary and which is a now long term trend.

I think people would agree that spending on cruises is not coming back any time soon.
Old Sep 7, 2020, 10:23 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
IME, based on numerous friends / neighbors, travel vacation spending is obvious down, but spending on home improvement is way up. Can not take that vacation; redo that deck, yard, paint the house, minor and major interior refreshing, .... that's what happening on my block

Home Depot, lowes, .... sales are up 15-25% YoY. Lots of that going on credit cards

Additionally, I would suspect sales are up or computers due to distance learning
Old Sep 7, 2020, 10:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
IME, based on numerous friends / neighbors, travel vacation spending is obvious down, but spending on home improvement is way up. Can not take that vacation; redo that deck, yard, paint the house, minor and major interior refreshing, .... that's what happening on my block

Home Depot, lowes, .... sales are up 15-25% YoY. Lots of that going on credit cards

Additionally, I would suspect sales are up or computers due to distance learning
Computer sales are way up (just read an article yesterday).
SPN Lifer likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.