Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Does anyone put their non-category spend on a 1x card?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2020, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

If so, why?

I have the chase trifecta and almost all of the Amex trifecta (Gold, platinum, green, aspire... just missing BBP).

I have about $10,000 of non category spend a year. If I put that on, say, the platinum vs. my CFU, I’m essentially losing $100/yr. Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but could add up.

Just curious to know if anyone uses a vanilla Amex for their daily driver on non category spend and if so, why?
Old Aug 16, 2020, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
I generally don’t unless it is tied to some Amex Offer or other promo (streaming/wireless credits) which wouldn’t make it a pure 1X charge. I use my CFU for spend that doesn’t earn a higher return elsewhere. 1.5 UR > 1 MR for me.
Duke787 likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2020, 4:48 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
Only if I'm meeting a MSR or if there's an associated AMEX offer. I have approximately $10k/yr unbonused spend. I generally am putting about $8k of that spend on US Bank Altitude Reserve via Apple Pay and non-bonuses, non-Apple Pay on BBP.
ajf87 likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2020, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jags86
Only if I'm meeting a MSR or if there's an associated AMEX offer. I have approximately $10k/yr unbonused spend. I generally am putting about $8k of that spend on US Bank Altitude Reserve via Apple Pay and non-bonuses, non-Apple Pay on BBP.
I am so hesitant to get the BBP without actually being a sole proprietor, especially since I have a legit business and wouldn’t want any chance of tangling the two. I wish amex had a personal no annual fee 1.5x card like the CFU.
alvinroast likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2020, 5:33 pm

Amex Centurion card is 1x on almost everything.
Old Aug 16, 2020, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mjuszczak
If so, why?
I put several auto-billed things on my Diners Club card, because even though it only earns 1x, its Club Rewards program has some redemption partners that no other cards I have (and few other cards period) have.

1x that I can redeem on A or B is better in some cases than 1.5x or 2x that I can't redeem on A or B, if I want to redeem for A or B, right?

Of course, it's been several years since the Diners Club card was "momentarily" available for new applications, and over a decade since it was "consistently" available for new applications, so this particular situation is not likely to be of relevance to most people.

But there might other people who only have 1.5 or 2x in one program, but they are particularly seeking transfers to partners not in that program (only in a program where they have a 1x card), so again 1x in the program that has the partner transfer they want may be more valuable for some people than 1.5x or 2x in a program that doesn't have the partner transfers that they want.
manlymatt83 likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2020, 9:11 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
I recently put some larger transactions on cards that earn only one point per dollar because these cards have high credit limits, and I want the issuers' system to see that we "need" those limits.
Drewm33 likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2020, 9:14 pm

Programs: UA*S, AA Plat, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist
I put large electronics purchases on the Plat because of the purchase protection and extended warranty, both of which are worth to me more than an extra 2% cash back. But I'm also in the process of churning every Plat one by one, so there's a sweet sign-up bonus return anyway.
Old Aug 16, 2020, 10:21 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
No, my default card for general spend is the CFU. As I'm extremely points-heavy, I value URs over MRs as it is due to the easy 1cpp cashout or 1.5 via travel portal.

To me, there's no way Plat purchase protection is worth the .5 extra URs (or even typical 2% cashback vs 1MR).

Last edited by gengar; Aug 17, 2020 at 11:57 am
Old Aug 16, 2020, 11:57 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Yes, because I'm lazy. Unless I'm trying to hit a signup bonus all my spend either goes on a CSP or an Amex Everyday Preferred.
Old Aug 17, 2020, 1:01 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by mjuszczak
Just curious to know if anyone uses a vanilla Amex for their daily driver on non category spend and if so, why?
... 'cause it's the "only" (such) card I've got?

I accumulate MRs for premium airfare redemptions (now up to 7 figs worth, was supposed to blow thru a large number this year, but ... ya know) so just put everything on it.
Old Aug 17, 2020, 7:33 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Yes because I don't want to enter AMEX "pop-up hell". I put at least one purchase each month on every AMEX card I own.
sdsearch and Traveler Dave like this.
Old Aug 17, 2020, 12:00 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
For years I put all my non-bonus spend on my Costco Visa for 1% cash back because it simplified the tracking of my spending. Now I use an Amex Everyday which does earn a 20% bonus if I use it 20x in a month, so I'm "up to" 1.2% back on non-categorized spending. I should get the BPP to boost my 1.2% to 2%, or a 1.5% or 2% cash back card, but to answer 'why', I'm not too interested in establishing more credit and tracking another card
Old Aug 17, 2020, 12:34 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP 75K, Delta Plat, Bonvoy Ambasador, Hilton diamond.
The only time I put something on a 1x card (my centurion) is when buying high end electronics where I want the extended warranty coverage or when dealing with what I perceive to be a less then reputable business. With multiple cards from various issuers offering 2x points on everyday charges I'm shocked that people in this "I wanna travel for free" hobby don't maximize their everyday spend on the most rewarding card for non-bonus category spending.
Old Aug 17, 2020, 1:16 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
The CFU for 2.25% towards travel (or paying yourself back atm) is easily the best deal for me. Combing it with Chase offers, or partner bonus point portal, and you're getting bonuses just as good as anything.
notquiteaff likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.