FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Credit Card Programs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs-599/)
-   -   Company name on business credit card? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/2003798-company-name-business-credit-card.html)

sam007 Jan 11, 2020 6:41 am

Company name on business credit card?

guys - when applying for a business card, there is a box where you can enter in how you'd like the name of your business to appear on the card. Is this the same name that'll appear on receipts or would receipts continue putting my personal name on them or a combination of business name & personal name?

Thanks

Often1 Jan 11, 2020 8:16 am

The business name is the name of your entity. If you are "John Q. Smith" and your business is "Smith's Donuts LLC," you would list the latter as the business name. Receipts with the business name simply make your tax preparation work easier so long as you stick to the general principle of only using the business card for business purchases.

sam007 Jan 11, 2020 8:59 am

So do most restaurants print receipt with business name & actual cardholder's name or just business name?

Often1 Jan 11, 2020 10:49 am

"Most" is a broad term. Are you in Turkmenistan or Uruguay?

mia Jan 11, 2020 10:59 am

I looked through a handful of recent (USA) credit card receipts, including two from chain restaurants, and they do not display any "name" information. Only the processing network and a portion of the card number.

sam007 Jan 11, 2020 10:59 am

sorry USA

MSPeconomist Jan 11, 2020 11:03 am

You can still separate receipts using the partial card number printed on the receipt, or wait until the charges post and appear on the bill.

Often1 Jan 11, 2020 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by sam007 (Post 31937413)
sorry USA

I don't know of any US card processing system which lists a name on a CC receipt. If you find one, it is because the merchant vendor has added it locally.

If all you are trying to do is separate business from personal spend, why not mark a small "X" on one type or the other? It may also be handy to include names & titles of individuals included in a meal or entertainment receipt as that saves you paperwork down the road in an audit.

mtofell Jan 11, 2020 10:00 pm

If just worried about restaurants you could always just tip to the even dollar for one purpose and random cents with the other. This makes is super easy later when reconciling.

sdsearch Jan 12, 2020 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by mtofell (Post 31939142)
If just worried about restaurants you could always just tip to the even dollar for one purpose and random cents with the other. This makes is super easy later when reconciling.

On your own receipts, yes. But I've noticed that sometimes when I tip to the even dollar (or even multiple of .20 at least, for RewardsNetwork purposes :D), someone at the restaurant doesn't understand I was trying to do that, and rounds the tip, rather than the total, when they key it in, and I end up with random cents on the statement, even though I wrote in even dollar (or even .20 multiple) on the receipt.

So if you're going to need to tell them apart on the statement, that might not work. If you only to tell them apart on your copy of the receipt (but what do you do at those restaurants which are unable or unwilling to print you a receipt), then it may work.

mtofell Jan 13, 2020 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch (Post 31942847)
On your own receipts, yes. But I've noticed that sometimes when I tip to the even dollar (or even multiple of .20 at least, for RewardsNetwork purposes :D), someone at the restaurant doesn't understand I was trying to do that, and rounds the tip, rather than the total, when they key it in, and I end up with random cents on the statement, even though I wrote in even dollar (or even .20 multiple) on the receipt.

So if you're going to need to tell them apart on the statement, that might not work. If you only to tell them apart on your copy of the receipt (but what do you do at those restaurants which are unable or unwilling to print you a receipt), then it may work.

They shouldn't be changing the amount on the total line that is signed for but I agree it can get "changed" here and there. I worked service industry for years and saw a pretty steady stream of staff getting canned for screwing with tips and credit cards. Of course, there is always the human error side of things. Aside from just the obvious act of stealing it always struck me as odd.... given the "paper trail" as the saying goes. Just not a good long term career path.

sdsearch Jan 14, 2020 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by mtofell (Post 31947532)
They shouldn't be changing the amount on the total line that is signed for but I agree it can get "changed" here and there. I worked service industry for years and saw a pretty steady stream of staff getting canned for screwing with tips and credit cards. Of course, there is always the human error side of things. Aside from just the obvious act of stealing it always struck me as odd.... given the "paper trail" as the saying goes. Just not a good long term career path.

Well, I didn't mean they charged me more. Generally they charge me less, like if I leave a tip like 2.03 to get it the next multiple of .20 in the total, the would knock 3 cents off and make the tip a round 2.00 meaning that I was charged 3 cents less, but for me that means one less mile, the same if I had been charged 20 cents less. So what I mean is that they didn't understand why I added a few extra cents to an otherwise rounder number, and got rid of the extra cents.

So it's not stealing, it's simply not understanding that I wanted the total to be a round number, not their tip to be a round number. But they apparently couldn't conceive of why someone would want that,and they maybe thought they were doing me a favor by "simplifying" their tip down and reducing my total. But I wanted my total exactly as I computed it.

I don't know how credit card tips work at restaurants when they include odds number of cents. Perhaps someone was trying to get cash for the tip, and there were no cents available?

mtofell Jan 15, 2020 8:52 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch (Post 31951980)

I don't know how credit card tips work at restaurants when they include odds number of cents. Perhaps someone was trying to get cash for the tip, and there were no cents available?

Back in the dark ages when I was doing it we'd keep our own banks and just turn in the cash we took in minus our tips. So essentially we'd get out tips every night. Modern day there are very few people who pay cash so there usually isn't enough money to get cash for tips so restaurants have taken to just putting everything on paychecks. The IRS is generally happier with this for obvious reasons.