Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Debit card rewards

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2020, 9:16 am

This article indicates that while surcharges were enabled by Federal legislation, some states have laws to preclude it. California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Kansas, Maine, Massachusetts, New York, Oklahoma, Texas and Puerto Rico are mentioned. Hopefully I interpreted the article correctly. It also has links to use to report abuse.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 9:25 am

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Article is not properly researched. Many states, including California, no longer feel they can enforce their no-surcharge laws due to other legal developments. So, the consumer is on their own. This is why surcharges are growing because the merchants (and acquirers) feel they are okay to do it.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by rasheed
Article is not properly researched. Many states, including California, no longer feel they can enforce their no-surcharge laws due to other legal developments. So, the consumer is on their own. This is why surcharges are growing because the merchants (and acquirers) feel they are okay to do it.
I still think they're not becoming as commonplace as people think, though definitely YMMV. Minimums did seem to get a bit more common but that still took a bit of time after becoming legal for that to happen, so it's very possible the same thing could happen to surcharges.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by tmiw
I still think they're not becoming as commonplace as people think, though definitely YMMV. Minimums did seem to get a bit more common but that still took a bit of time after becoming legal for that to happen, so it's very possible the same thing could happen to surcharges.
I will add my two cents. Popeye's Chicken, where I live does not take Amex. Two gas stations, that I know of, charge a minimum for credit card purchases. I want frequent either of them because of that.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 10:14 am

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
AmEx spoke about this surcharge topic (and debit cards) on their last earnings call. Because of the current drop in business revenue, AmEx feels they are not going to see merchants add surcharges in the short-term. Further, AmEx is "hurting" because they do offer lower fees to non-T&E categories (groceries, other business types), so there is some competitive aspects. AmEx is again exploring the debit market. They will offer one in China when they start their card there. The analyst pointed out that debit was strong in the US because of financial management, but I think AmEx knows debit is just not as profitable.
Old Aug 1, 2020, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by rasheed
AmEx spoke about this surcharge topic (and debit cards) on their last earnings call. Because of the current drop in business revenue, AmEx feels they are not going to see merchants add surcharges in the short-term. Further, AmEx is "hurting" because they do offer lower fees to non-T&E categories (groceries, other business types), so there is some competitive aspects. AmEx is again exploring the debit market. They will offer one in China when they start their card there. The analyst pointed out that debit was strong in the US because of financial management, but I think AmEx knows debit is just not as profitable.
Considering that everyone in China uses Alipay or WeChat Pay now, I suspect AmEx will have a pretty hard time even with a debit card product. A dual-brand UnionPay/AmEx card might do well for international travelers, though, but I'm not sure if UnionPay would allow it nor if that would necessarily guarantee better card acceptance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.