Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Annual Spend - Looking for Recommendations

Old Nov 9, 19, 6:15 am
Original Poster

Hi all. We currently use a Disney Visa (Chase) for most of our household spending, and a Marriott Visa (Chase) for my wife's business spending. She has a little baking business on the side. YTD, we are at about $63k spent between the two, a majority of which on the Disney Visa. We go to Disney World a lot and earn 1% on all purchases that eventually translate into gift cards - albeit slowly. The Marriott card's dollars obviously get translated into Bonvoy points, which we will eventually use on a trip as we've done before.

My question is: should I be using a different card to maximize the benefits with this level of spending? I also have the American Aviator Card, AMEX Delta Gold, AMEX Platinum, BofA Travel Rewards, Apple Card (Goldman Sachs), Apple Card (The Barclays), Chase Freedom, Citi Diamond Preferred, and Citi Simplicity.

I like to keep my wife's business spending separate from our household spending, just for housekeeping. But, I am open to merging them together if I can easily delineate between her spending and mine.

With all of this as a backdrop, is there any card you'd recommend we switch to? I'm happy to use one already in my possession or get a new one. I suppose part of this equation is sign-on bonuses as well. Interest rate is a non-issue since they are both paid off, in full, multiple times/month.

Any help would be more than appreciated. Thank you.

(admins - if I put this in the wrong forum, I apologize)
Old Nov 9, 19, 12:33 pm

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime
You're putting 63K onto a card that gives you $630 in Disney gc? ouch.

Probably just better off looking for a straight 2% or 3% cash back card.

I think BOA has something that would turn into 2.6% pretty easily for you.
bigbuy likes this.
Old Nov 9, 19, 5:55 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Free Range Airline Chicken
What category of things where you do most of your spending (groceries, travel, restaurants, etc) will heavily influence which card would be recommended.
Old Nov 9, 19, 6:44 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, HH Diamond, Hertz PC, Nat'l EE, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
For your wife's baking business, would recommend a card that would maximize grocery benefits- not only at your regular grocery store types (Safeway/Kroger) but also at the Smart and Final type stores as well.
So you are looking at either the:
  • Amex Hilton Surpass (6x points on grocery), also comes with bonus on gas and restaurant spend, and a free weekend night cert that you could use for Disney trips.
  • AAdvantage MileUp card (2 AA miles per $ at grocery)
  • BlueCash Amex (6% cash back on up to $6k per year)
You could always make your wife an Authorized user on a card and know that all spending on that specific card # is for her business?

For everyday, non bonus category spend - BoA cash back or Citi Double Cash would likely get you $ to spend at Disney racked up alot quicker than the Disney Visa, which rewards just a few categories and the reward currency is only valid via Disney.

Also, if you are Costco members and your wife's business needs could be met by buying there.... up to 4% rewards for spending on their visa + exec membership. Not to mention gas savings on pump price plus 4% cash back.

Are you getting much value out of the Platinum card? Hefty annual fee that wipes out alot of the value you create via points if you are not using the card benefits alot.
I would try and trim some of the "fat" on annual fees to help keep your net rewards earning at a higher level.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: