Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Rejected 4 times for premium credit card - Should I try again/give up?

Rejected 4 times for premium credit card - Should I try again/give up?

Old Oct 29, 19, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

Question Rejected 4 times for premium credit card - Should I try again/give up?

Hello,
What is the recommended course of action for my case:
The good: Migrated to the US ~13 months ago, had a basic credit card from day 1 (and also Amazon's 5% cashback credit card), always paid in time with only ~15% usage of the credit
The bad/ugly: During the first year, I applied ~4 times for the Chase credit cards (sapphire/reserve), I didn't know that applying affects my credit score

My credit score (visible through my bank account) is 715.

Do you think I should wait more time before trying to apply for any credit card? Or should I try again?
Old Oct 29, 19, 5:55 pm

Wait until you’re north of 740.
Old Oct 29, 19, 6:03 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hertz PC
Also try opening a checking account with Chase to establish a relationship. I applied for the Chase IHG one in Jan and was declined. I then opened a checking account with $500 / mo direct deposit in April. I applied for the same card a few weeks ago and was approved. Credit score about the same as back in Jan.

For the cards you mentioned, you can also go into a branch and see if they can do a pre-approval, so you know you're not wasting your time.
EmailKid likes this.
Old Oct 29, 19, 8:20 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Diamond
The advice about opening a checking account with Chase is good. Assuming you are able, I’d use direct deposit to put any regular payments you receive directly in the account. After six months to a year, ask in person at your bank branch rather than applying online. They are pretty picky about the Sapphire reserve, you may need to get the Preferred card and upgrade after a year.
tstauck likes this.
Old Oct 30, 19, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by jacca View Post
Hello,
What is the recommended course of action for my case:
The good: Migrated to the US ~13 months ago, had a basic credit card from day 1 (and also Amazon's 5% cashback credit card), always paid in time with only ~15% usage of the credit
The bad/ugly: During the first year, I applied ~4 times for the Chase credit cards (sapphire/reserve), I didn't know that applying affects my credit score

My credit score (visible through my bank account) is 715.

Do you think I should wait more time before trying to apply for any credit card? Or should I try again?
One more thing to add, in addition to my above advice to opening a Chase checking account then applying a few months after, you can always try other premium travel cards.

I got an instant approval on both the Capital One Venture and the Marriott Bonvoy AMEX cards this year. With a credit score roughly in your range.

Hope that helps!
Old Nov 3, 19, 8:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tstauck View Post
Also try opening a checking account with Chase to establish a relationship. I applied for the Chase IHG one in Jan and was declined. I then opened a checking account with $500 / mo direct deposit in April. I applied for the same card a few weeks ago and was approved. Credit score about the same as back in Jan.

For the cards you mentioned, you can also go into a branch and see if they can do a pre-approval, so you know you're not wasting your time.
Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
The advice about opening a checking account with Chase is good. Assuming you are able, Id use direct deposit to put any regular payments you receive directly in the account. After six months to a year, ask in person at your bank branch rather than applying online. They are pretty picky about the Sapphire reserve, you may need to get the Preferred card and upgrade after a year.
Thanks, I will do that soon and in a few months apply for the Reserve.

Originally Posted by tstauck View Post
One more thing to add, in addition to my above advice to opening a Chase checking account then applying a few months after, you can always try other premium travel cards.

I got an instant approval on both the Capital One Venture and the Marriott Bonvoy AMEX cards this year. With a credit score roughly in your range.

Hope that helps!
My worry is that I already have 2 credit cards (basic one from a credit union and the Amazon 5% card), so I wanted to get the Chase card first because of the 5/24 rule. But getting 1 additional card is probably fine I guess. Thanks!
Old Nov 3, 19, 3:56 pm

I'd actually go against the grain here and say I'm not sure opening the checking account matters. I haven't really heard of much solid evidence that a checking relationship really means anything for CC approvals with Chase. They certainly don't care about your checking relationship when evaluating for 5/24, so I just am not sure it factors much into CC decisions in general. While it cannot hurt I don't know how much it really helps.
Old Nov 3, 19, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
It does not seem credit score is the problem here.

Per OP's own word, OP's credit history only has about 13 months. Generally, premium cards are issued with some substantial CL as they are using issued as either MC World or Visa Signature.

In term of checking, while I believe that if you are a CPC customer, the CPC banker may be able to do something to help. Bottom line - I still have to agree with kdm31091 that a checking account does not matter.

OP should continue the wait.
Old Nov 26, 19, 5:39 pm
Original Poster

Quick update in case someone stumbles upon this thread through Google/..
I went to a Chase branch and sat with a representative and after hearing my repeated rejections he strongly suggested to wait for ~6 months before reapplying, but once he put my details in the system he found out that I was apparently pre-approved for the Sapphire Reserve so he strongly suggested that I do apply (he said preapproval means ~%80 chance that they'll accept). After submitting and waiting a few days, I was told that I was accepted and I just received the card.
My score that's visible in the Chase website (Transunion) is 745.

Hope this helps anyone and thank you everyone for replying to this thread.
Old Nov 27, 19, 2:59 am

Great info! Doesn't affect me, but clearly the banking relationship had some benefit, if only to help you identify the right opportunity.
Old Nov 27, 19, 1:13 pm

I went to a Chase branch and sat with a representative and after hearing my repeated rejections he strongly suggested to wait for ~6 months before reapplying, but once he put my details in the system he found out that I was apparently pre-approved for the Sapphire Reserve so he strongly suggested that I do apply (he said preapproval means ~%80 chance that they'll accept). After submitting and waiting a few days, I was told that I was accepted and I just received the card.

Great to hear - congrats!
Old Nov 27, 19, 7:39 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Marriott Bombay Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium

Good news! Congratulations.
Old Nov 28, 19, 9:03 am

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)

Congrats! I love love love my CSR card. Having that in combination with the Chase Freedom and Chase Freedom Unlimited (and some of their Biz cards), I got the Chase UR covered lol
But don't go crazy just yet.

Just curious, did you open a checking account with Chase based on the recommendation on here? If so, how long did you wait before receiving the pre-approval offer?
Old Nov 28, 19, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aSiAnRiCk View Post
Congrats! I love love love my CSR card. Having that in combination with the Chase Freedom and Chase Freedom Unlimited (and some of their Biz cards), I got the Chase UR covered lol
But don't go crazy just yet.

Just curious, did you open a checking account with Chase based on the recommendation on here? If so, how long did you wait before receiving the pre-approval offer?
Thanks! This is my first premium cc and just booked a +$4k plane ticket so already using it to get points! This year through work I spent ~$30k on flights so finally I can start getting points.
Actually the Chase representative told me that although having a Chase bank account could help in getting accepted to a cc, it's not a big factor. I didn't open a bank account, not sure since when I was pre-approved but I did get a lot of offers in the mail (CSR and 100k points for Amex Platinum etc.) in the last couple of months, so I guess it was in these few months.
Old Nov 28, 19, 11:15 am

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
Okay thanks.

And definitely do the Amex Plat for 100K sign-up bonus in a few months.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: