Wiki Posts
Search

18th B-Day App-o-rama?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2019, 7:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist Marriott Gold AA EXP
18th B-Day App-o-rama?

My son turns 18 on Monday. He has a job and has been an AU on my Amex and Chase cards for years now and he has had a Chase checking and savings account for a couple years.

What cards with decent SUBs is he likely or possible to get approved for? Are business cards at all possible at 18?
Old Sep 21, 2019, 9:00 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
There is substantial discussion in this thread, which I know you have seen:

First credit card for 18 year old

The App-O-Rama concept is largely obsolete because it exploited a technological weakness which has been fixed. If he applies for multiple cards on the same day all of the issuers will know about the other applications, and this may give the impression that he is applying for an excessive amount of credit relative to his means to repay.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 8:55 am

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Originally Posted by bbriscoe34
My son turns 18 on Monday. He has a job and has been an AU on my Amex and Chase cards for years now and he has had a Chase checking and savings account for a couple years.

What cards with decent SUBs is he likely or possible to get approved for? Are business cards at all possible at 18?
App a rama is a very bad idea today.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist Marriott Gold AA EXP
Originally Posted by EasternTraveler
App a rama is a very bad idea today.
OK, makes sense. Is two applications too many? I'm thinking Amex and one other bank, possibly Citi or Barclays.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 4:55 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
There are huge negatives to opening more than one card every six months. For one, if something comes along that you truly want to take advantage of, you may be blocked by apps. However, if you get only one and let it age for six or more months and something great comes along, as they do every year, you are primed and ready for a higher probability of success.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 9:04 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

I'd start with one Chase Freedom card. It's a youth friendly card, and it's Chase. The next choice would be an Amex business card, if you're hooked on the idea of a business card. Even though he's not a minor and presumably using your income, the banks will be reluctant to open their wallet to him. Go slow and establish a good payment history. You're laying a foundation, not coming in with a wrecking ball.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 9:17 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
.... presumably using your income...
Chase says person under 21 can only use other people's income to the extent it is regularly transferred to their own bank account.
Attached Images  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.