Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

If you use Google Pay/Apple Pay how often you keep actual plastic/metal card at home?

If you use Google Pay/Apple Pay how often you keep actual plastic/metal card at home?

Old Aug 7, 19, 9:31 pm
Original Poster

I'd like to get a sense of what cards I can leave at home since I'm using Apple Pay now. How often I'd I wish I had the actual credit card in my wallet.

So far I have figured out: Any card I plan on using at a restaurant I would need to have in my wallet. And any card I plan on using at a gas station would need to have in my wallet or car.

What about credit cards used for hotel stays? This situation is less clear. Often you can check in with their hotel app in which the credit card number is saved in their app, and some hotels have terminals to take Google Pay/Apple Pay. I don't stay in hotels often, so not sure what's best to do.

Most stores take Google Pay/Apple Pay and the ones that don't, it doesn't matter which card to use as often there's no category bonus for shopping at department stores, convenience stores.

Any other situation I didn't think of? What's your strategy for reducing the number of credit cards you carry on a daily basis?
Old Aug 8, 19, 7:07 am

This is why I think at least currently, Apple/Google Pay is largely pointless. You are bound to find places that don't take it, which means you have to carry the card(s) anyway.
Old Aug 8, 19, 7:20 am

In Poland I didn't carry a wallet for the 3 weeks I was there And I ran into a situation where I needed cash twice throughout the whole stay, which was solved by going to an ATM that takes contactless transactions through Google Pay... different world.

Here, I carry my restaurant card with me and one debit card, for cash purposes. Otherwise, I expect to be able to pay in most grocery stores and other places with Google Pay and if not, then it's not a bonus category. So it still helps some, and honestly it helps more and more every month. I'm finding more and more counter-service and diners to take Clover or Square which is very nice.
Old Aug 8, 19, 9:07 am

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, AA, WN, BA, AS, Priceline, Radisson, Hyatt, IHG, Wyndham, Hilton
I only carry cards, which are not supported by mobile wallets, i.e. Chase Ink and Sears (occasionally, when there is a promo). The rest are in Samsung/Google Pay. I don't even a carry wallet sometimes.
Old Aug 8, 19, 9:19 am

Programs: HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by kdm31091 View Post
This is why I think at least currently, Apple/Google Pay is largely pointless. You are bound to find places that don't take it, which means you have to carry the card(s) anyway.
I don't use Apple Pay to avoid carrying a card.

I do use Apple Pay because sometimes its easier than getting the card out of my wallet. But mainly because I think its more secure.

Apple Pay is 'supposed to be' more secure than using your card as the merchant never actually gets your CC number. So, remembering the time Target had Credit Cards hacked and all the hassle that caused, I feel it is more secure than a CC, and definitely better than using a Debit Card.

I would prefer to use Apple Pay more, like with Hotels, but it seems to be difficult, and we have seen how hotel data systems have been breached as well.

I also wish my grocery store would accept Apple Pay.
Old Aug 8, 19, 10:07 am

Programs: AA PLT, WN A List, UA Silver, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Barciur View Post
In Poland I didn't carry a wallet for the 3 weeks I was there And I ran into a situation where I needed cash twice throughout the whole stay, which was solved by going to an ATM that takes contactless transactions through Google Pay... different world.
Yes, in a recent trip to Europe, I also didn't have a plastic card or wallet on me for most of the trip. Just a small amount of Euros and my phone. I was able to tap (SPay) everywhere only using the physical card maybe three times in total and tapped maybe 50+ times. I would never try that in the US (not have a card backup).
Old Aug 8, 19, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Gold
I mean, it's gotten a lot better over the last year or two but I still wouldn't try to go without at least one physical card as a backup. Then again, BofA does have contactless on their ATMs, so I kinda wonder if I could get away with just using Google Pay for everything (with pre-visit trips to the ATM for those places that don't).

Originally Posted by kdm31091 View Post
The thing is, if one values NFC acceptance, they can put their money where their mouth is and visit businesses that support it. Theoretically if enough people do that, the businesses losing customers will do what it takes to adopt it or cease to exist.

Question is, do enough people in the US value it for that to happen? I'm not sure.
Old Aug 8, 19, 1:39 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlatAmb, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Gold
I don't think it's possible to solely rely on ApplePay, but I like that it allows me access to more cards without carrying all of them. I only use my US Bank Altitude via ApplePay because of the bonus, so that card never rides in my wallet.
On the other hand, AMEX always warns that ApplePay won't work for AMEX offers, so I have to carry the card with me.
Old Aug 8, 19, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by OskiBear View Post
I don't think it's possible to solely rely on ApplePay, but I like that it allows me access to more cards without carrying all of them. I only use my US Bank Altitude via ApplePay because of the bonus, so that card never rides in my wallet.
On the other hand, AMEX always warns that ApplePay won't work for AMEX offers, so I have to carry the card with me.
FWIW, I've had AmEx Offers trigger when using a mobile wallet. It might be CYA type language from back when Google Wallet was a thing (which basically looked like a Mastercard to merchants and triggered a charge from Google when you used it).
OskiBear likes this.
Old Aug 8, 19, 10:37 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AV, AC, VS, KE, SQ, AA, UA | Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
I carry one credit and one debit card "just in case" but since I pretty much only shop at places that take Pay I can't even remember the last time I've used either! If I go out to eat I seek out places that take Pay. But if I'm out with friends and I don't get to make the choice of a Pay-friendly establishment then I make sure I have cash (or use Zelle to pay someone back) - since using Pay I've become increasingly paranoid about letting my cards out of my sight!
Old Aug 9, 19, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA
I don't consider it a replacement for the physical cards. It can be handy for certain situations, particularly if one of your cards won't work you have an "extra" to get you by.
Old Aug 9, 19, 3:08 pm

Some have mentioned use in Europe, but contactless acceptance has mandated by Visa and MC in Europe by 2020, so it's already accepted practically everywhere (that accepts credit cards).

In the US with Google/Apple/Samsung pay, you'll probably be fine with the cards (1 for gas, 1 for restaurants) you mentioned for day to day use. You said you rarely stay at hotels, so just pack that card for the occasion. Better to have it and not need it.

I will add: I was very glad to have my physical Chase Freedom card while traveling in Europe when they ran their "tap to pay" promotion earning 500 UR for making 3 payments. Maybe Google Pay would've worked, but I wasn't sure, so I was glad I had the actual card.
Magna likes this.
Old Aug 10, 19, 5:41 am

Programs: Star Alliance
I understand that the question was asked from US perspective. Outside of US situation is quite different.

In Singapore for example I need to use a physical card only with terminals which do not accept contactless NFC transactions, such terminals are quite rare. When you have Samsung Pay phone then such terminals won't be a problem with MST mode.

I still carry physical card as a backup but don't remember when I used it last time. Starting from May mobile wallet is accessible as a payment mode at bus/mrt, so even less reason to carry physical cards.
Old Aug 11, 19, 6:00 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by tmiw View Post
I mean, it's gotten a lot better over the last year or two but I still wouldn't try to go without at least one physical card as a backup. Then again, BofA does have contactless on their ATMs, so I kinda wonder if I could get away with just using Google Pay for everything (with pre-visit trips to the ATM for those places that don't).

The thing is, if one values NFC acceptance, they can put their money where their mouth is and visit businesses that support it. Theoretically if enough people do that, the businesses losing customers will do what it takes to adopt it or cease to exist.

Question is, do enough people in the US value it for that to happen? I'm not sure.
I see where you're coming from and I do agree with you. I was back in New York last week and I went to the Great NY Noodletown. It's probably my favourite late night Chinese restaurant in New York. I've been going there since I was a kid. For as long as I can remember, it was and still is cash only. On my last visit, a lady didn't had cash on her and she got into an argument with the cashier. She kept on saying it's 2019 and they should accept other forms of payment. The cashier said it's not up to him and they only accept cash. I'm not really sure how it was resolved as I had to go. So I always make sure I have at least $20 on me in case something happens cuz for reasons that I don't understand, some places just can't move with the times.
Magna likes this.
Old Aug 11, 19, 8:42 pm

Programs: AA PLT, WN A List, UA Silver, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz 5*
I am going to say that small NY restaurants tend to be the most cash only places I have seen anywhere in the country.

Ok, I'll include those small mom and pop donut shops opened for 30+ years.

Search this Thread