Which card for Edinburgh car rental

Old Jul 23, 19, 7:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
Which card for Edinburgh car rental

Iíve done a fair amount of research but still confused. We pick up our car Aug 1-12; we have
AX Surpass
Citi - Thank You. and Costo
Chase - Sapphire Reserve
Does it really matter which card we should use, they all seem to offer similar protections?
From what Iíve read Sixt gives you primary coverage in the price, if I put a scrape on the car they will charge my card and I will have fill out forms to get the card company to cover it.
Old Jul 23, 19, 7:22 am
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by kmandrew View Post
.... Sixt gives you primary coverage in the price, if I put a scrape on the car they will charge my card and I will have fill out forms to get the card company to cover it.
What do you mean by "primary coverage"? If Sixt included CDW in the price you would not have to pay anything, nor involve the card company.
Old Jul 23, 19, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mia View Post
What do you mean by "primary coverage"? If Sixt included CDW in the price you would not have to pay anything, nor involve the card company.
Thatís probably a good question - I just assume the UK requires liability coverage in the base price. I was advised by all 3 credit card companies to simply decline the optional CDW coverage, book and charge the car on their card then relax; they will cover any damages up to 50k. As I said all 3 seem very similar- Iím thinking AX might be bit better? I only bring this up because we just get back from NZ and I did scrape a guard rail, in that instance the optional CDW was very reasonable so I took it. They were great about the damage, I filled out a form explaining what happened took about an extra half hour.
Old Jul 23, 19, 3:24 pm
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
None of these cards provide liability insurance. The only thing they reimburse is damage to the rental car itself, not to another car, other property, or injury to a person. Unless your personal auto insurance is valid outside North America there is no meaningful distinction between "primary CDW" and "secondary CDW".

I have no experience with CDW claims, and therefor no opinion on which card's process is better.
Old Jul 30, 19, 8:16 am

There are two types of insurance.
  • Liability pays for the other car in the accident (not the one you're driving), and is required. That's what Sixt is including: "All SIXT rental cars offer Third Party Liability, which covers bodily injury and property damage, in accordance with the legal requirements of the country of rental."
  • CDW pays out for the car you're driving, and is optional from the rental agency, and is what is covered by credit cards.
If you scratch the car you're driving, CDW is what would pay.

Search this Thread