Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

BoA product transfer and holding multiple cards from same family?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2019, 3:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG

I currently have a BoA Travel Rewards card. Can I do a product transfer to the BoA Asiana card? I heard that BoA doesn't give the welcome bonus when doing that, but is there a way around it?

Is it possible and have anyone ever held multiple cards from the same family? Is it possible to have two BoA Alaska Visa Signature or Asiana cards?
Old Jul 22, 2019, 5:14 am

BoA does allow you to hold more than 1 of the same card but I'm not sure how they feel about a PC from a core card to a cobranded one. In this case it couldn't be done under any circumstances anyway unless the Travel Rewards card was at least 12 months old as it has no annual fee but the Asiana card does.

BoA follows the pretty universal truism that one doesn't qualify for a sign up bonus when there is a product change. AMEX sometimes does it to drive upgrades to specific cards with higher annual fees, think Blue Cash Everyday to Blue Cash Preferred as an example.

If you really want the bonus you can always apply for the Asiana and if denied call for a recon and offer to shift some of the limit over from your Travel Rewards card.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by ratracer
BoA does allow you to hold more than 1 of the same card but I'm not sure how they feel about a PC from a core card to a cobranded one. In this case it couldn't be done under any circumstances anyway unless the Travel Rewards card was at least 12 months old as it has no annual fee but the Asiana card does.

BoA follows the pretty universal truism that one doesn't qualify for a sign up bonus when there is a product change. AMEX sometimes does it to drive upgrades to specific cards with higher annual fees, think Blue Cash Everyday to Blue Cash Preferred as an example.

If you really want the bonus you can always apply for the Asiana and if denied call for a recon and offer to shift some of the limit over from your Travel Rewards card.
It is pretty unlikely they will allow a PC from a core to a cobranded card i.e. Asiana. I mean you can ask, but I doubt it.

Offers to shift credit limit with BOA aren't generally as effective on recon as they were a few years ago. BOA will sometimes auto shift credit to get you approved, but asking them to manually do it often makes no difference in getting approved. I know with the Premium Rewards at least, a lot of people had no luck getting approved even with offering to shift credit.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by ratracer

I called BoA today and they said they can't do a product change for me. They said I should apply for one. My question is are there any strategies in dealing with recon? Any data point on shifting credit limit from one card to another in order to get it to be approved? The rep on the phone said credit limits cannot be shift from one card to another.

Originally Posted by kdm31091
It is pretty unlikely they will allow a PC from a core to a cobranded card i.e. Asiana. I mean you can ask, but I doubt it.

Offers to shift credit limit with BOA aren't generally as effective on recon as they were a few years ago. BOA will sometimes auto shift credit to get you approved, but asking them to manually do it often makes no difference in getting approved. I know with the Premium Rewards at least, a lot of people had no luck getting approved even with offering to shift credit.
What's the best way to apply for and get approved for a BoA card? My credit score took a little hit due to my CSP app. My score on BoA's website is 740 (not sure how reliable that is). I really want the Asiana card, but not sure what's the best way to do this in order to get the card approved. Which bureau will they pull from and is it location dependent? I'm in MA.

Last edited by EmailKid; Jul 22, 2019 at 10:34 pm Reason: Back to back posts
Old Jul 23, 2019, 3:51 am

It's not a surprise that you weren't able to PC as there are other issuers who also don't allow it between core and co-branded cards.

BoA uses FICO 8 and hard pulls Experian for new card applications, soft pulls Transunion for credit limit increase requests and the score provided on your online account is TU FICO 8. If you don't otherwise have your EX score search on Google for` free Experian fico 8 score`. How you would recon would depend on why you were denied for the card.

BoA is notorious for silently shifting credit limits from existing cards when opening new ones and also when requesting credit limit increases. If you want data points myfico might be a good place to start searching.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 8:39 am

Don't know anything about BoA product transfer, but you could definitely hold 2 of the same card in a family. My wife and I both got BoA Premium Reward card. We were both Plat Honors on separate BoA accounts so we both took advantage of the initial bonus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.