Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Credit cards which still offer an extended warranty

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2019, 11:29 am
Original Poster

With Citibank and Undiscover no longer offering extended warranties on their credit cards, which credit cards actually still offer an extended warranty? I actually have used the extended warranty in the past and find it quite valuable. Do I need to move all my spending for electronics to American Express?

Last edited by mia; Jun 28, 2019 at 1:00 pm
Old Jun 28, 2019, 11:47 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
The Citi Costco Anywhere Visa warranty coverage is unchanged. Still 2 additional years.

Effective September 22, 2019, Trip Cancellation & Interruption Protection and Citi® Price Rewind will be discontinued and will no longer be provided for purchases made on or after that date. Coverage for purchases made before that date will continue to be available, and you may continue to file for benefits in accordance with the current benefit terms.
You will continue to have Worldwide Car Rental Insurance, Roadside Assistance Dispatch Service, Travel & Emergency Assistance, Damage & Theft Purchase Protection and Extended Warranty on this account. You can view Your Guide to Protection Benefits on this site under "Quick Links". It contains complete coverage details, including coverage limits, what’s covered and what’s not covered. Coverage details for these remaining benefits are not being changed.
As a cardmember, you will also continue to receive a range of other card benefits including FICO®Credit Score, Citi® Identity Theft Solutions, and Citi Entertainment.
Warranties run out. Get an extra 24 months added to your warranty when you purchase items at least in part with your Citi card and/or your Costco credit card reward certificate. In the event of a covered failure, the item will be repaired or you will be reimbursed up to the amount charged on your Citi card (including Costco credit card reward certificate) or the cost to replace the item, whichever is less, up to $10,000
Old Jun 28, 2019, 7:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cjw2001
The Citi Costco Anywhere Visa warranty coverage is unchanged. Still 2 additional years.
I do not have the Costco card.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 7:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by comptalk
Didn't say that you did. You asked for what cards still have extended warranty - I gave you an example of one that does.
rhwbullhead and mhdena like this.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
This blog post, which predates the Citi changes, provides helpful information on extended warranties by different credit-card issuers:

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/best-...nded-warranty/
Old Jun 30, 2019, 10:32 am

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime
You can pretty easily PC into that card. It's probably a good usage for some of the weaker Citi cards anyways.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 7:35 pm
Original Poster

I belong to Sam's Club, so I have no use for a Costco membership.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 1:43 pm

I belong to Sam's Club, so I have no use for a Costco membership.
Try going with a friend to a Costco, and compare the products available. I find that Costco has better quality items, and their house brand - Kirkland - to be fantastic for all kinds of things.

I find it hard to believe that anyone whose really explored both would be content with Sams Club which is basically a narrow subset of Walmart goods.

Maybe if you're doing a lot of MS, Sam's has some value with its appearance on some CB apps, but I don't think that applies to most people. (not for me at least)

For their most elite, valued members Costco recognizes them with special treatment and the 'Executive' notation on their card.

I'd advocate more for them, but the parking is bad enough as it is.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 5:03 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
I thought Citi kept extended warranty on all cards except the Double Cash. It will still remain on all three of my Citi Cards (AAdvantage Platinum, AAdvantage MileUp, Premier).

Regardless I use Amex Platinum for all purchases where I want an extended warranty
Old Jul 1, 2019, 5:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by akr1970akr
Try going with a friend to a Costco, and compare the products available. I find that Costco has better quality items, and their house brand - Kirkland - to be fantastic for all kinds of things.

I find it hard to believe that anyone whose really explored both would be content with Sams Club which is basically a narrow subset of Walmart goods.

Maybe if you're doing a lot of MS, Sam's has some value with its appearance on some CB apps, but I don't think that applies to most people. (not for me at least)

For their most elite, valued members Costco recognizes them with special treatment and the 'Executive' notation on their card.

I'd advocate more for them, but the parking is bad enough as it is.
I do not do MS, and find a lot of value from both Sams Club and BJs. The Costco is over an hour away from me, so that is a big deterrent for me. Plus, with the AMEX offers, I get both BJs and Sams Club memberships near free.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 5:37 pm

Under the change of benefits it looks like the Premier is maintaining the Extended Warranty Protection:

You will continue to have Extended Warranty and Damage & Theft Purchase Protection on this account. You can view Your Guide to Protection Benefits on this site under "Quick Links". It contains complete coverage details, including coverage limits, what’s covered and what’s not covered. Coverage details for these remaining benefits are not being changed.
As a cardmember, you will also continue to receive a range of other card benefits including FICO®Credit Score, Citi® Identity Theft Solutions, and Citi Entertainment.
Since OP mentioned taking advantage of Amex offers, I assume that she/he/they have an Amex card and those have not changed in terms of the extended warranty benefit. On my end, even though the benefit with Amex is shorter than Citi, I generally purchase items in which I want extended warranty coverage with one of my Amex cards because of the ease I've always had in the past whenever I had a claim. Thus, I'd rather have only one extra year if it means knowing that Amex will cover me and not make me take the item to 50 repair guys to get a quote, submit a million forms to actually obtain coverage, and then send them the item back (while a bit hyperbolic, I once gave up on a claim with one of my visas b/c of all the stuff they wanted me to do for a not so expensive item < $500 - after that only Amex for EW for me).
Adelphos likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 6:11 pm

I do not do MS, and find a lot of value from both Sams Club and BJs. The Costco is over an hour away from me, so that is a big deterrent for me. Plus, with the AMEX offers, I get both BJs and Sams Club memberships near free.
Once you have tasted the joys of the Costco food court, those 2nd & 3rd tier warehouse clubs weaknesses will become more glaring.

Comparing them is like comparing Lufthansa versus Spirit.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 10:00 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by akr1970akr
Once you have tasted the joys of the Costco food court, those 2nd & 3rd tier warehouse clubs weaknesses will become more glaring.

Comparing them is like comparing Lufthansa versus Spirit.
BJs doesn't even have food courts anymore (at least in the Raleigh NC area). But... what's so gourmet about the hot dogs, the pizza slices and the super-calorie-laden chicken bakes of Costco?
Old Jul 2, 2019, 10:27 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Topic check

Topic at hand is "Credit cards which still offer an extended warranty" and not benefits at wholesale clubs @:-)

Let's come back OT.
Old Sep 17, 2022, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by halamadrid
Under the change of benefits it looks like the Premier is maintaining the Extended Warranty Protection
Can I assume Premier still offers extended warranty (24 months)? Is this mentioned on Citi somewhere, because I'm having trouble finding it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.