Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

When should I try to reapply for a credit card after being rejected before?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2019, 5:01 pm
Original Poster

Hello,

I moved into the US 8 months ago and got a basic credit card then (1% cashback, no points). ~4 months ago I applied for Chase Sapphire Reserve & Citi Prestige and was rejected from both, probably because I didn't have a credit score yet.
I've been told that hard enquiries affect my credit score, so I'm hesitant on applying a lot.
Starting last month, I've been getting a lot of offers on the mail from the different credit card companies (Amex Gold card/...). Is this a sign that my credit score is now visible to banks?

How bad would it be to apply now for a Chase Sapphire Reserve?
Old Jun 23, 2019, 5:27 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
You asked essentially the same question a few months ago about Amex. You were told then to chill for a year, which was solid advice. What are expecting to hear differently in this thread?

Using upcoming business flights when having no credit history
Old Jun 23, 2019, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Finkface
You asked essentially the same question a few months ago about Amex. You were told then to chill for a year, which was solid advice. What are expecting to hear differently in this thread?

Using upcoming business flights when having no credit history
I thought the sudden influx of mail offers from credit card companies is a sign
Old Jun 23, 2019, 5:32 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
It is a sign. A sign that CC issuers love to spam people with offers. It doesn’t mean you will get those cards. You have a 4 month credit history and you have recently been denied by Amex, Chase and Citi for their highest end cards. You are swinging for the fences when you are still in Little League. Again, you just need to chill for a year or more and establish yourself.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 11:00 am

Build credit with base cards then try to get these premium cards.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 9:25 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

The CSR is a card that requires top credit to get approval on. The Freedom is considered Chase's easiest card to qualify for, but a solid 6 months of using your existing card-- meaning making charges and paying them by the due date of the bill-- is needed to establish credit history. Does anyone recall the credit card service that rates your "likeliness of approval?" Is it Credit Karma? That will give you a baseline to see how you're progressing.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by heymile
Hello,

I moved into the US 8 months ago and got a basic credit card then (1% cashback, no points). ~4 months ago I applied for Chase Sapphire Reserve & Citi Prestige and was rejected from both, probably because I didn't have a credit score yet.
I've been told that hard enquiries affect my credit score, so I'm hesitant on applying a lot.
Starting last month, I've been getting a lot of offers on the mail from the different credit card companies (Amex Gold card/...). Is this a sign that my credit score is now visible to banks?

How bad would it be to apply now for a Chase Sapphire Reserve?
Only offers that truly matter are "pre-approved". Pre-selected and or random offers don't mean a whole lot in general scheme of things.

Pre-selected simply means your name and *some* of your credit information was hauled in when whatever CC went trawling for names using various parameters.

You've been told and already know too many hard inquires in a short period of time harms your credit score. Nothing has changed so that's that, you have your answer.

CC do not like the looks of people whose files show many hard pulls in a short period of time. It has a whiff of financial desperation at worse, or just suspicious at best. Either way best cards/offers usually avoid such files with a barge pole.

Being as all this may, if you truly cannot help yourself find out if any of these offers/cards you want to apply for will certainly do a hard pull. There are times when even for just a pre-selected offer a CC knows enough from various third parties (credit reports and other sources), to almost make a decision. They just need a few more bits of information such as your declaring income, housing costs and so forth just to cross the T's as it were.

Why do you need another card so soon anyway? Use the one you have wisely for a year or so; and you'll start getting pre-approved offers from that card and others.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 7:29 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
Does anyone recall the credit card service that rates your "likeliness of approval?" Is it Credit Karma? That will give you a baseline to see how you're progressing.
Maybe this?

https://www.creditkarma.com/credit-c...approval-odds/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.