Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Using Apple/Google Pay in unsupported countries where contactless cards are accepted?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using Apple/Google Pay in unsupported countries where contactless cards are accepted?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2019, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by HWGeeks
Not true, I use Apple pay in 2 countries where Apple Pay hasn't launched officially. The Dominican Republic, and Haiti.
I still believe that it is merchant/terminal dependent. Last year Singapore Rapid Transport rolled out using contactless card payment at trains and buses. You could use your contactless credit card for such purpose but mobile wallets were not accepted, only after a year they enabled mobile payment support.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 7:17 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by invisible
Multiple of reasons - security, having no desire to carry multiple of cards are top of them.​​​​​​

There is an incentive.The credit card I have gives you no extra points/miles with ordinary payment mechanisms, including contactless, but gives you 3x more points when using with Apple/Google pay. And I can pay income taxes using mobile wallet without incurring extra costs and earning 3x points while would be charged 3% processing fee if I'd use credit card by any other means.

Sufficient enough?
Security? Phone NFC is not bullet proof. Some stores ask to verify the physical cards at check-out. They afraid of virtual wallets.

Also, iPhone wallet can only hold up to 8 CCs. It helps, but it does not eliminate the need to carry multiple cards.

I bet there are still physical CCs in your wallet. With all the buzz of contactless CCs, most people still comfortable with the plastics. The only place that is different is probably China. Over there, data and phone are dirty cheap. People do not use credit cards and they get cash in their phones. So there is no plastics to talk about. Without phone, they are dead.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 7:23 pm
Suspended

However, evey my attempt to use Apple Pay with the same contactless terminal, regardless the card or payment network (VISA/MC) generated error on terminal. Errors were different from terminal to terminal but at the end, transaction did not go thru. The only time I saw it was possible to use phone as payment method, was with Samsung phones and Samsung Pay using MCC mode but it just mimics swiping the card.
I'd be so embarrassed with trouble at check-out in foreign countries. Some cashiers would think you have money trouble, do not have money, or do not want to pay.

Worth the troubles??
Old Jun 11, 2019, 7:52 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam, Georgia. Everywhere in these countries payment terminals have contractless options enabled by default and you can pay by tapping card. With credit card the amount does not matter much and depends on the bank which issued the card - I had no problem paying using contactless in USD $1-$900 range.

However, evey my attempt to use Apple Pay with the same contactless terminal, regardless the card or payment network (VISA/MC) generated error on terminal. Errors were different from terminal to terminal but at the end, transaction did not go thru. The only time I saw it was possible to use phone as payment method, was with Samsung phones and Samsung Pay using MCC mode but it just mimics swiping the card.

I just reported my experience with above mentioned countries. If you are going to visit any of them, try to use your mobile wallet to see if situation has changed.
Well, if Google Pay doesn't work, then Samsung Pay works in 99% of the cases. Israel, for example, doesn't even use chip cards, and there is no NFC whatsoever, but Samsung pay worked almost everywhere in MST mode. There is no Google/Apple/Samsung Pay available in Israel for Israeli issued cards. Such a disappointment from a country of startups.

Last edited by yugi; Jun 11, 2019 at 8:00 pm
Old Jun 11, 2019, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by RedSun
Why bother going through all the troubles and hassles??

There are so many variables. Phone, app, CC banks, countries, local stores, payment terminals..... Why get excited about all the contactless??
If we can figure out exactly what scenarios are problematic, then one can maybe avoid such (or change the scenario) and have a higher reliability overall when one does use it. Perhaps someone with connections to Visa/MC or a bank who hangs out on FT and sees this thread would be able to take the needed steps to make those problematic scenarios less so. After all, if contactless is indeed supposed to be the future, wouldn't it be a good idea to figure out what's preventing that from happening?

Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam, Georgia. Everywhere in these countries payment terminals have contractless options enabled by default and you can pay by tapping card. With credit card the amount does not matter much and depends on the bank which issued the card - I had no problem paying using contactless in USD $1-$900 range.

From your other posts it sounds like you're using the Altitude Reserve for Apple/Google Pay, at least as the primary card. What physical card are you tapping that's working? IIRC US Bank doesn't have contactless cards at all, leaving AmEx and Chase as the most likely out of the major issuers (though there are some from smaller banks too).

I still believe that it is merchant/terminal dependent. Last year Singapore Rapid Transport rolled out using contactless card payment at trains and buses. You could use your contactless credit card for such purpose but mobile wallets were not accepted, only after a year they enabled mobile payment support.
Was it possibly purposely restricted due to it being a pilot? I don't know enough about how they implemented it on the backend but I do remember that it only worked with MC for a time.

Security? Phone NFC is not bullet proof. Some stores ask to verify the physical cards at check-out. They afraid of virtual wallets.

Also, iPhone wallet can only hold up to 8 CCs. It helps, but it does not eliminate the need to carry multiple cards.
12 cards on newer iPhones, IIRC. And for the vast majority of people (e.g. those who don't hang out on FT) that limit is not likely to be an issue.

Also, I recall discussion with you about this problem before. From what I remember it was potentially tied to gift cards being included in the transaction, not strictly because a mobile wallet was used. (However, it is likely easier to show a physical card when you're already using one than to convince the cashier that the card inside said mobile wallet is the same as the physical card.)

BTW, ID isn't supposed to be required per Visa/MC rules regardless of how the card's used (swipe/insert/tap). I highly recommend reporting such merchants to the card networks next time that happens (I'm presuming they're using the name on the physical card in conjunction with ID, but I could be mistaken):

https://usa.visa.com/Forms/visa-rules.html
https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/cons...-shopping.html

I bet there are still physical CCs in your wallet. With all the buzz of contactless CCs, most people still comfortable with the plastics. The only place that is different is probably China. Over there, data and phone are dirty cheap. People do not use credit cards and they get cash in their phones. So there is no plastics to talk about. Without phone, they are dead.
Maybe, maybe not. China is a special case since cards never really became a thing there.

Originally Posted by yugi
Well, if Google Pay doesn't work, then Samsung Pay works in 99% of the cases. Israel, for example, doesn't even use chip cards, and there is no NFC whatsoever, but Samsung pay worked almost everywhere in MST mode. There is no Google/Apple/Samsung Pay available in Israel for Israeli issued cards. Such a disappointment from a country of startups.
I'd probably dispute the 99%, at least in the US with the Gear S3. (Sadly, from personal experience too.)

That said, most domestic merchants I go to support contactless now, so I just use Google Pay. The places where I don't are places where mobile payment would be problematic anyway (such as sit-down restaurants).
Old Jun 11, 2019, 8:15 pm

@RedSun - More countries are getting on with digital wallets and contactless payments. Japan, a cash centric society, has a surge of digital wallets/currencies right now. Apple Pay Suica (stored value, prepaid) and a lot of the Chinese tourism in Japan are gradually bringing about some changes. https://atadistance.net/2019/05/19/s...in-tokyo-area/ I usually find a digital wallet a tad bit faster these days than the card swipe. It probably helps like @yugi, I'm between Apple and Google HQ's so there's plenty of terminal adoption and cost of living is high (food trucks $12+ pp is totally normal, checkout fast as possible please). That said - I'm reluctant to pull out a $XXXX smart phone to pay in areas where phone theft is a distinct possibility and poverty is high.

I was just wondering where contactless might work and Apple Pay would fail yesterday, so I'm glad this popped up. It seemed odd that Chase finally re-introduced contactless cards late last year when so many people have digital wallets. Contactless cards (vs phone/watch) might be more convenient on TFL London in the winter when hands and faces are covered up, unless they also get Apple Pay Express Transit which reduces some of the auth button mashing/faceID.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by freecia
I was just wondering where contactless might work and Apple Pay would fail yesterday, so I'm glad this popped up. It seemed odd that Chase finally re-introduced contactless cards late last year when so many people have digital wallets. Contactless cards (vs phone/watch) might be more convenient on TFL London in the winter when hands and faces are covered up, unless they also get Apple Pay Express Transit which reduces some of the auth button mashing/faceID.
In my experience, contactless cards are more likely to fail than mobile wallets in the US--at least right now. I expect the difference to diminish over time.

Also, I'm not sure Chase would have bothered had mobile wallet use been higher. There are a bunch of reasons why that didn't pan out as quickly as hoped, though.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 8:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tmiw
If we can figure out exactly what scenarios are problematic, then one can maybe avoid such (or change the scenario) and have a higher reliability overall when one does use it. Perhaps someone with connections to Visa/MC or a bank who hangs out on FT and sees this thread would be able to take the needed steps to make those problematic scenarios less so. After all, if contactless is indeed supposed to be the future, wouldn't it be a good idea to figure out what's preventing that from happening?

From your other posts it sounds like you're using the Altitude Reserve for Apple/Google Pay, at least as the primary card. What physical card are you tapping that's working? IIRC US Bank doesn't have contactless cards at all, leaving AmEx and Chase as the most likely out of the major issuers (though there are some from smaller banks too).

Was it possibly purposely restricted due to it being a pilot? I don't know enough about how they implemented it on the backend but I do remember that it only worked with MC for a time.

12 cards on newer iPhones, IIRC. And for the vast majority of people (e.g. those who don't hang out on FT) that limit is not likely to be an issue.

Also, I recall discussion with you about this problem before. From what I remember it was potentially tied to gift cards being included in the transaction, not strictly because a mobile wallet was used. (However, it is likely easier to show a physical card when you're already using one than to convince the cashier that the card inside said mobile wallet is the same as the physical card.)

BTW, ID isn't supposed to be required per Visa/MC rules regardless of how the card's used (swipe/insert/tap). I highly recommend reporting such merchants to the card networks next time that happens (I'm presuming they're using the name on the physical card in conjunction with ID, but I could be mistaken):

https://usa.visa.com/Forms/visa-rules.html
https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/cons...-shopping.html

Maybe, maybe not. China is a special case since cards never really became a thing there.

I'd probably dispute the 99%, at least in the US with the Gear S3. (Sadly, from personal experience too.)

That said, most domestic merchants I go to support contactless now, so I just use Google Pay. The places where I don't are places where mobile payment would be problematic anyway (such as sit-down restaurants).
I do not want to waste my time with this stuff.... Payment is a 1 minute thing, not a 5 minutes thing..
Old Jun 11, 2019, 8:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by freecia
@RedSun - More countries are getting on with digital wallets and contactless payments. Japan, a cash centric society, has a surge of digital wallets/currencies right now. Apple Pay Suica (stored value, prepaid) and a lot of the Chinese tourism in Japan are gradually bringing about some changes. https://atadistance.net/2019/05/19/s...in-tokyo-area/ I usually find a digital wallet a tad bit faster these days than the card swipe. It probably helps like @yugi, I'm between Apple and Google HQ's so there's plenty of terminal adoption and cost of living is high (food trucks $12+ pp is totally normal, checkout fast as possible please). That said - I'm reluctant to pull out a $XXXX smart phone to pay in areas where phone theft is a distinct possibility and poverty is high.

You can spend hours and hours to do the research. But what the goal is? Pay and get paid. Let troubles and hassles to others.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 8:57 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott

I had no issue paying with a phone/watch in sit-down restaurants, since I gave my Prestige card to my wife, and I only carry it in a phone. You just need to ask. I carry CSR and Amex Gold as a backup. But in Israel, there no NFC at all, so I used it via MST, and it worked in most cases (I think only once it didn't work), and some places plainly refused to use phone. I carry both Samsung phone and watch, and in some places watch works better than a phone, but in most places it's vice versa.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

I've never encountered this, but my travel is 90% outside of US
Worth the troubles??
Yes. If there is sufficient incentive for me.
THEY are service personnel to provide service,not other way around. Once I spent 20 min make payment of $3000 because the terminal can accept only $100 via contactless (regardless of mode). So I run 30 transactions.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yugi
Samsung pay worked almost everywhere in MST mode. There is no Google/Apple/Samsung Pay available in Israel for Israeli issued cards. Such a disappointment from a country of startups.
MST is just emulation of swiping the card and using magnetic strip.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 9:21 pm
Suspended

I've never encountered this, but my travel is 90% outside of US

Yes. If there is sufficient incentive for me.
THEY are service personnel to provide service,not other way around. Once I spent 20 min make payment of $3000 because the terminal can accept only $100 via contactless (regardless of mode). So I run 30 transactions.
So, there are still things you do not know and have not experienced. US market has the most CCs, probably more than the rest of the world combined. And phone payments are probably less than 10% of all CC transactions. And a lot people do not even use CCs.....

Go figure. So my point is, why bother??
Old Jun 11, 2019, 9:22 pm
Original Poster

From your other posts it sounds like you're using the Altitude Reserve for Apple/Google Pay, at least as the primary card. What physical card are you tapping that's working? IIRC US Bank doesn't have contactless cards at all, leaving AmEx and Chase as the most likely out of the major issuers (though there are some from smaller banks too)..
It was last year and before that, using locally issued cards which worked fine in Singapore, note - with terminals supporting Apple Pay (see below).

Was it possibly purposely restricted due to it being a pilot? I don't know enough about how they implemented it on the backend but I do remember that it only worked with MC for a time..
Probably. I specifically tried to add the same card to Apple Wallet on iphone and tried to use it at buses and MRT gates. Did not work. THe card itself worked, iphone - did not.
As I said, I have a corner supermarket next to my home. Contactless via card there works. Apple Pay - does not, tried with two different phones at least tree times over last 12 month. If it helps, processing system they use is WireCard.

Last edited by invisible; Jun 11, 2019 at 9:40 pm
Old Jun 11, 2019, 9:28 pm
Original Poster

Go figure. So my point is, why bother??
Let me ask you - what is your goal writing such posts/replies?

I, based on my own personal experience, provided number of use cases. Other people provided their use cases as well. Only you are here, coming and loudly announcing - 'why bother'?

People told you why. As it was said - mobile payments are huge industry now. Here is Singapore we have Apple Pay, Google Pay, Samsung Pay and Fave Pay, Grab Pay, FitBit Pay (!), Singtel Dash - that's only what I remember. In Japan Mobile Suica is huge thing and even before Altitude came, you could top up Suica on your phone and get 3 miles per $ spent on CSR while the only other way to top up the physical card is via cash (at least for non-residents). And acceptance is Suica is pretty much everywhere.

And don't get me started about WeChat - even stalls selling pork buns next to Chinatown MRT are now accepting WeChat.

You can sit in your Fortress America and ignore the rest of the world while loudly declaring this here at FT, but world moves forward.

Last edited by invisible; Jun 11, 2019 at 10:40 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.