Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

No Foreign Transaction Fee Credit Cards with sign-up bonus - which one

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2019, 4:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years

Hello everybody,

Very short - I have 800 on my experian/equifax credit score. Next 6-10 month I anticipate appx USD $3000 per month expenses in overseas currency.

I currently have Chase Sapphire and Ink Plus credit cards. While Sapphire allocates 1 points per dollar, would like to know what are other options, if any, on market either via mileage or cashback options. However I am not ready to pay $450 and more annual fee for such card.

Thanks
Old May 15, 2019, 5:47 am

Edit, with a better idea of what you are looking not sure my suggestion was helpful.

Last edited by time_stamp; May 15, 2019 at 11:43 am Reason: Trying to be more helpful
Old May 15, 2019, 8:28 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
There are a ton of such cards. Nowadays just about every annual-fee-bearing major rewards card has eliminated FTFs (there aren't too many no-annual-fee rewards cards with no FTF). Generally there are those with AFs amounts similar to your CSP card and the more "premium" cards with AFs of several hundred bucks (though those are often offset by other card rewards/benefits that may or may not be of use to you).

The first question is if the spend would be in any category that receives a category bonus earning multiplier with some cards? The second, related question is what rewards program would be most beneficial or of interest to you? That would help narrow down advice. Otherwise there are just too many options to give meaningful recommendations to you.
gregorius likes this.
Old May 15, 2019, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 84fiero
The first question is if the spend would be in any category that receives a category bonus earning multiplier with some cards?
Thanks for quick and insightful replies.
According to Chase, after several of such charges, they fall into ""POI Funding Transactions(Excluding MoneySend)" MCC category. Now, I think there will be no card awarding bonus points in such category, but at least it earns 1 points with CSP with $1 spent.
Cashback would useful as well, if there is an option to earn more than 1% cashback with the above mentioned MCC/category which I doubt....

Originally Posted by 84fiero
The second, related question is what rewards program would be most beneficial or of interest to you? That would help narrow down advice. Otherwise there are just too many options to give meaningful recommendations to you.
Probably points which can be transferred to United miles. I don't accrue points/miles for any hotel stays and don't fly domestically in US.
I think if I can get Chase Business Ink card, and get 80k points after $5000 spent, it would be the best possible option, but I don't know if I would be qualified for Business Ink card, considering that I already have Chase Sapphire and Ink Plus, but I've had then for years...
Old May 15, 2019, 10:35 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by invisible
....I anticipate appx USD $3000 per month expenses in overseas currency.
.... they fall into ""POI Funding Transactions(Excluding MoneySend)" MCC category.....
Do you mean you will be purchasing currency with the card, -or- do you mean that you will be making purchases of goods or services denominated in another currency? Many cards do not offer rewards on purchases of currency, but much depends on how the merchant processes the transaction.
Old May 15, 2019, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
Do you mean you will be purchasing currency with the card, -or- do you mean that you will be making purchases of goods or services denominated in another currency?
Latter, it will be a payment for services which is charged in foreign currency.

It is done via an automated kiosk several times per week due to the fact that max amount of transaction is about USD $100 , but you can do unlimited number of transactions.

As I said, once they are posted they are getting this MCC category according to Chase customer support, despite the fact that in the statement the category is marked as 'shopping'... Go figure...

Last edited by invisible; May 15, 2019 at 11:16 am
Old May 16, 2019, 1:00 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Latter, it will be a payment for services which is charged in foreign currency.

It is done via an automated kiosk several times per week due to the fact that max amount of transaction is about USD $100 , but you can do unlimited number of transactions.

As I said, once they are posted they are getting this MCC category according to Chase customer support, despite the fact that in the statement the category is marked as 'shopping'... Go figure...
Altitude Reserve + Samsung Pay, or if kiosk accepts NFC, you can also use Google/Apple Pay. You will get 4.5% on all in-person purchases.
Old May 16, 2019, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yugi
Altitude Reserve + Samsung Pay, or if kiosk accepts NFC, you can also use Google/Apple Pay. You will get 4.5% on all in-person purchases.
That's something really useful information. Let me try.
Old May 16, 2019, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
That's something really useful information. Let me try.
You can only get an Attitude Reserve card if you have a pre-existing banking relationship with US Bank (i.e., a US Bank deposit account, or another US Bank credit card, such as the Radisson Rewards Visa card).
Old May 16, 2019, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
You can only get an Attitude Reserve card if you have a pre-existing banking relationship with US Bank (i.e., a US Bank deposit account, or another US Bank credit card, such as the Radisson Rewards Visa card).
Well, I can open checking account first, can't I?

Edit: did some research/reading. $400 annual fee is steep, but if I can really get return on mobile payments and combined with $25000 in Money Market account with 2.5% return, it might worth a try...

Last edited by invisible; May 16, 2019 at 9:49 pm
Old May 17, 2019, 9:20 am
mia

.... $25000 in Money Market account with 2.5% return,...
I do not see this rate on US Bank's website. Can you link to it, or explain how to navigate to it?
Old May 17, 2019, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
I do not see this rate on US Bank's website. Can you link to it, or explain how to navigate to it?
This is strange, or NOT strange if one thinks... Yesterday, when I was on the site, it asked for ZIP code for premium checking. I entered and displayed 2.6% APY.

Today, it shows me 0.01% APY and the section for 25000 or more deposit is gone.

Edit. Here it is
https://www.usbank.com/bank-accounts...t-savings.html

Last edited by invisible; May 17, 2019 at 10:24 am
Old May 17, 2019, 10:47 am
mia

It would be atypical for a full service bank to offer a savings account rate that high. It is a plausible CD rate.
Old May 17, 2019, 11:14 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
This is strange, or NOT strange if one thinks... Yesterday, when I was on the site, it asked for ZIP code for premium checking. I entered and displayed 2.6% APY.

Today, it shows me 0.01% APY and the section for 25000 or more deposit is gone.

Edit. Here it is
https://www.usbank.com/bank-accounts...t-savings.html
Originally Posted by mia
It would be atypical for a full service bank to offer a savings account rate that high. It is a plausible CD rate.
My offer for the Platinum Select Money Market Savings account, from following that link and entering my zip code, was:

"Until June 12, 2019, in select areas, open a new U.S. Bank Platinum Select Money Market Savings account and receive an introductory bonus Annual Percentage Yield (APY) of 2.25% for up to 12 months from the date of account opening. The 2.25% APY will be applied to balances in your account when you maintain a balance at or above $10,000."
mia likes this.
Old May 17, 2019, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Well, I can open checking account first, can't I?

Edit: did some research/reading. $400 annual fee is steep, but if I can really get return on mobile payments and combined with $25000 in Money Market account with 2.5% return, it might worth a try...
The AR's $400 annual fee is really a $75 annual fee, given that US Bank automatically credits the first $325 of travel that you charge to the card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.