Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Any Cards with above 1 mile per dollar for american Airlines

Old May 12, 2019, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum

So with the demise of my starwood amex, I can no longer get above 1 mile per dollar for credit card spending. I have read and read many posts, blogs etc but I can't find anything. Most of my spending is with work and it doesn't qualify for any sort of bonus. Is there a way to go back to the old 1.25 to 1 that amex had. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Currently spending is about 500,000/year
Trying to Get FC airfare on AA because flying out of DFW

Currently Have a AA World Mastercard, the one that gets you into Admiral's clubs and Bonvoy Amex, but I moved all spending over the Citi AA Mastercard Black card after the devalue by AMEX Bonvoy
Old May 12, 2019, 8:44 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
The Citi AA MC gives you 2 miles per dollar spent on AA, dining and gas purchases.
Old May 13, 2019, 4:12 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Barclays BUSINESS AAdvantage card offers a 5% annual bonus, that's 1.05 per dollar on all spending with no category requirements:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cred...d-90-days.html

It also awards 2X in these categories: AA, office supply, telecom and car rental.

The free Citi AAdvantage MileUp card awards 2X miles at Supermarkets. Probably not a good match for you, but useful for others.

Last edited by mia; May 13, 2019 at 4:19 am
Old May 13, 2019, 8:15 am
Original Poster

yeah i saw a 10 percent bonus but i guess that went away as well, virtually none of my purchases end up in one of those categories, man that would be nice if they did.
Old May 13, 2019, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Costco gives you 3% back on Travel.
Old May 13, 2019, 2:06 pm

Does OP really want AA miles?

An alternative may be getting BA miles and using it to book AA flights (availability/price may not be the same though )

Earn 1.5x UR via ink business unlimited. With another premium card, transferable to BA

Similar thing with amex and BBP (2x earn up to 50k spend ayear)

Both chase/amex have had transfer bonuses to BA in the past. Though one risk = either company dropping BA as a transfer partner
Old May 14, 2019, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
What kind of spend for work? Travel? Something else? Helps if we know the categories.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 12:18 am

Programs: AA
Aviator Silver offers 3x on aa travel
Old Jun 23, 2019, 12:57 am

Citi / AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard is best to earn miles on american airline. It gives 2x miles on AA, restaurant and gas station.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 7:54 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
If you happen to be in Puerto Rico, they have a card that offers 1.5 AA per dollar across the board.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by javabytes
What kind of spend for work? Travel? Something else? Helps if we know the categories.
it's medical supplies for my office, most of it doesn't go into a category
Old Jul 20, 2019, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rahulcb
Citi / AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard is best to earn miles on american airline. It gives 2x miles on AA, restaurant and gas station.

that's actually the card that i have now, but i was trying to get a little more. looks like there isn't any competitor for that.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 9:04 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by guy999
it's medical supplies for my office, most of it doesn't go into a category
Originally Posted by guy999
that's actually the card that i have now, but i was trying to get a little more. looks like there isn't any competitor for that.
The Barclays business AAdvantage card would likely give you more miles per year because some fraction of your office expenses should qualify for double miles, and the 5% bonus applies to all spending.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 6:53 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
It is so easy to get more than 1 mile for spend on AA

For travel expenses:
Chase Sapphire 3x Travel
Amex Platinum (at 500k a year spend a no brainer) 5x for bookings directly with airlines
Citi AA Executive 2x (but not so much for the earnings but for the Admirals Club)
Amex Blue Business 2x for everything (but only up to 50k a year)
Chase Unlimited 1.5x on everything
Chase Business 5x on cable/internet/phone
>> I think with 500k spend you would be best of getting yourself a card combo to maximize your earnings
Old Jul 22, 2019, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by blitzen
It is so easy to get more than 1 mile for spend on AA

For travel expenses:
Chase Sapphire 3x Travel
Amex Platinum (at 500k a year spend a no brainer) 5x for bookings directly with airlines
Citi AA Executive 2x (but not so much for the earnings but for the Admirals Club)
Amex Blue Business 2x for everything (but only up to 50k a year)
Chase Unlimited 1.5x on everything
Chase Business 5x on cable/internet/phone
>> I think with 500k spend you would be best of getting yourself a card combo to maximize your earnings

the problem is that i usually want miles not really points, because for example we went to europe this summer in first on points, but it was 500,000 for 2 people but those tickets are about 6k each and that would be the equivalent of 1,200,000 points.. like on the chase unlimited

almost all of the spending is on medical supplies from a supply house and they don't seem to go into any category that i can tell. cable/internet/phone and travel are probably under 20-30k a year.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.