FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Credit Card Programs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs-599/)
-   -   Buyer Beware! Do not trust affiliate links for credit card offers. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/1965712-buyer-beware-do-not-trust-affiliate-links-credit-card-offers.html)

pgary Apr 16, 2019 2:18 pm

Buyer Beware! Do not trust affiliate links for credit card offers.

Some bloggers earn commissions for you using their links for credit card offers. Some of those bloggers will not list better offers for which they do not earn commissions. Others put the interest of their reader first. Today we have an opportunity to see which we can trust. The commissionable offers for the personal and business American Airlines credit cards earn bonuses of 60,000 and 70,000 miles resp each. But there are better offers of 5,000 miles more for each card. Here is how some of the more popular blogs deal with this.To be sure,all of the blogs I mention add quite a bit of value to the vast sea of information about miles, points, and travel. I read them all regularly and list them in my section describing my favorite blogs. We just have to be careful about the information they provide about commissionable offers. Buyer beware.

estnet Apr 16, 2019 8:03 pm

Well I always do a web search to see if there are better offers - but you advice is good b/c I think most people don't.
In any case I only would use an affiliate link if I had some reason to want to reward the blogger rather than just going from the airline link ...or.............

mia Apr 17, 2019 7:38 am

Originally Posted by pgary (Post 31007527)
Million Miles Secrets touts the affiliate offer.... I wrote to him about this. I was very disappointed. He has always told us that he always posts the best offers. ....

Him? The author of the article is female, and the site does not appear to have an identified owner, only a "team".

Staley Cornell Apr 17, 2019 11:28 am

Thanks for posting! You are right, most people don't shop around and are too trusting.

ehallison Apr 17, 2019 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by mia (Post 31009944)
Him? The author of the article is female, and the site does not appear to have an identified owner, only a "team".

The original MMS blogger was a "him" named Darius...but it seems the blog has a big staff now.

(MTA: now that I've googled it, the references I've found refer to Darius and his (now ex) wife Emily being co-founders. When I used to read it back in the day, it seemed that he created the content and she was more of a traveling companion, but I could be mistaken)

mia Apr 17, 2019 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by ehallison (Post 31011505)
The original MMS blogger was a "him" named Darius.......

Indeed, but it appears "he" is no longer there in any capacity:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/exte...hese-days.html

erik123 Apr 19, 2019 7:52 pm

ThePointsguy and MMO are owned by LinkOffers, Inc. Likely some other big Incs behind some of the others. It's big business - as is flyertalk.

akr1970akr Apr 21, 2019 9:58 am

OP's counsel is generally applicable to everything on the internet. But thank you for pointing out the specific cases with each of those major blogs.

I don't think its reasonable to expect a blog to have any duty of care to their readers. Expect them to be advertisements, and act accordingly: caveat emptor

I find that the best content is on FT, reddit, and in the comments on select blogs (DoC et al), but I'm not a member of any private reddit or slack groups where (from what I hear) a lot of the best/great ideas are shared. There's enough actionable stuff out on in public that I have still do to, so I don't think I need to stretch for those.....