Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

What defines income for a credit card application?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2019, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

I saw an interesting discussion on another forum and am wondering what people here think. What is income for purposes of a credit card application?

I would have thought adjusted gross income plus non-taxable income, as shown on your tax returns, would be the correct answer, but some people would include unrealized capital gains and undistributed income in an IRA, as well as some other things. https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/vie...94826#p4494826
Old Apr 15, 2019, 12:08 pm

Income = whatever cash you can come up with to cover your credit card bills.

Verification is not common.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by davie355
Income = whatever cash you can come up with to cover your credit card bills.

Verification is not common.
If you have an $X million portfolio of liquid assets that could be used to cover credit card bills, would you feel comfortable saying that you had income of $X million?
Old Apr 15, 2019, 12:50 pm

Assets/net worth is a separate question from income. For income I'd be comfortable saying however much the portfolio generates annually.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by davie355
Assets/net worth is a separate question from income. For income I'd be comfortable saying however much the portfolio generates annually.
That was my problem with "Income = whatever cash you can come up with to cover your credit card bills", since you can use assets/net worth to come up with cash to cover the bills.

However much the portfolio generates in terms of dividends and distributions works for me.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 1:30 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA (Gold), Alaska MVP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, SPG Gold,
Originally Posted by richarddd
That was my problem with "Income = whatever cash you can come up with to cover your credit card bills", since you can use assets/net worth to come up with cash to cover the bills.

However much the portfolio generates in terms of dividends and distributions works for me.
I never know what to use as 'income' on CC apps since I'm retired, don't take SS so my income can be whatever I want it to be taking out $ from my portfolio as needed. I'm keeping my withdrawals low by choice so that's what I've put on recent CC apps but have been denied recently (was never denied when I had verifiably higher work income). Can I just put whatever I want (maybe up to my previous work income) to up my chances to be approved?
Old Apr 24, 2019, 2:09 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by TxTrav
.... put whatever I want (maybe up to my previous work income) to up my chances to be approved?
I don't think your previous income is relevant. I would probably list ~5% of the retirement account balances, because that's an amount I would feel comfortable stating that I "planned" to withdraw in a year.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 8:55 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Our family has complicated income. Some is guaranteed salary, some is commission, some is investment growth. What I've settled on is current year salary guarantee + target commission (without any additional upside or bonuses) + 4% of investments (based on the infamous Trinity Study work as an approximation). I would be comfortable defending that as a conservative point of view if a lender ever questioned it.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 9:45 am

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime
The easiest number to defend is what you filed for taxes. A lender could ask you (in theory) to provide permission for them to view a transcript

https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-form-4506-t

Most credit card / unsecured lenders aren't that hyper about this stuff.

Mortgage lenders are, because they are often selling their home loans, and income verification is needed to include the loans in GSE securitizations.

Modern lenders look at many data points when determining your capacity to repay them - where you live, what you drive, etc.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 10:03 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by akr1970akr
The easiest number to defend is what you filed for taxes. ....
Understood, but not responsive to the problem described by TxTrav in which assets are available to increase income at will. The issuers' "income" based model doesn't accommodate households with high assets and low income.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
Understood, but not responsive to the problem described by TxTrav in which assets are available to increase income at will. The issuers' "income" based model doesn't accommodate households with high assets and low income.
Agreed. The question is what to do about it. The definition of income by issuers tends to be something similar to standard definitions of income, such as cash flow or income shown on a tax return. Do you answer the question they actually asked or do you answer something that may be economically justifiable, but is not what they asked?

Q: Why did you write $200,000 when your portfolio generated $100,000 in taxable and tax-free distributions?

A: Because I have $5,000,000 in liquid assets, can easily generate that amount of income and can easily pay my credit card bills, as I have for the past 40 years.

Should we feel comfortable proceeding on that basis? How would an issuer likely react?
Old Apr 25, 2019, 10:56 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by mia
The issuers' "income" based model doesn't accommodate households with high assets and low income.
If undistributed assets from a defined contribution plan (401k, IRA vs a defined benefit plan, pension) cannot be viewed as income, then people are increasingly having a problem applying for credit cards, given the history of society for decades turning away from pensions. I would think though that recent distributions from same assets would form a sufficient pattern for future distributions to qualify for credit card companies as income.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vanillabean

If undistributed assets from a defined contribution plan (401k, IRA vs a defined benefit plan, pension) cannot be viewed as income, then people are increasingly having a problem applying for credit cards, given the history of society for decades turning away from pensions. I would think though that recent distributions from same assets would form a sufficient pattern for future distributions to qualify for credit card companies as income.
Distributions from 401(k)s and IRAs would seem to qualify as income under the definition of income used by credit card issuers. Among other things, they would show up on a tax return.

The problem is what to report when you could make distributions but choose not to, for tax management or other reasons.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 2:20 pm

Just put your AGI. Think banks don't know why your 2018 income was precisely $101,400? They know.
akr1970akr likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by time_stamp
Just put your AGI. Think banks don't know why your 2018 income was precisely $101,400? They know.
AGI does not include income from municipal bonds, which could be substantial, and is shown on a US federal income tax return. Why would someone exclude that?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.