Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

What defines income for a credit card application?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What defines income for a credit card application?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2019, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by richarddd
AGI does not include income from municipal bonds, which could be substantial, and is shown on a US federal income tax return. Why would someone exclude that?
Go ahead and include it, if you want. I'm just saying it doesn't matter. When you are showing ~$100k income, spending nearly that much on credit cards each year, have a house worth a $1M and no debt the banks know what is up. This is hardly a unique situation.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 3:48 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
I don't think there is reason to exclude any verifiable income, taxable or not. The question is what to list if your actual income is low, but your assets are ample.
richarddd and strickerj like this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by mia
I don't think there is reason to exclude any verifiable income, taxable or not. The question is what to list if your actual income is low, but your assets are ample.
Are people with substantial assets actually being denied credit cards for low income?

Last edited by time_stamp; Apr 25, 2019 at 7:38 pm
Old Apr 25, 2019, 4:57 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by TxTrav
....have been denied recently (was never denied when I had verifiably higher work income....
Originally Posted by time_stamp
Are people with substantial assets actually being denied credit cards for low income? ....
That's the genesis of the discussion.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by mia
That's the genesis of the discussion.
I saw that, but since TxTrav doesn't know whether a higher income would have helped that implies that the reason listed wasn't insufficient income.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 10:08 am

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime
Originally Posted by mia
This is why banks like CNB exist
Old Apr 26, 2019, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by akr1970akr
This is why banks like CNB exist
Explain please.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 4:44 pm

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime
Originally Posted by richarddd
Explain please.
some banks will lend on non standard metrics, or based on reputation. of course it can backfire, if you google up the anna delvaney case in NYC today.....
Old Dec 8, 2023, 9:08 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Yes, the last post was 4.5 years ago. But I came up with a situation that I didn't see addressed.

I rolled over some retirement funds, being careful to follow the rules so that it was a tax-free event. However, my federal form 1040 showed the rollover amount in the income section (as non-taxable income). Do I get to count it, since it is in the income section? It would mean my annual income went up by an order of magnitude.

If I can count it, then I could roll it over again in a subsequent year, and again have that huge (non-taxable) income in that year. And so on.

This borders on the question of assets, but is different because money was actually reported in the income area of form 1040. But the income wasn't available for paying credit card bills. But the income could have been available for paying credit card bills (after paying taxes).

What do you think?
Old Dec 8, 2023, 10:08 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by serpens
Yes, the last post was 4.5 years ago. But I came up with a situation that I didn't see addressed.

I rolled over some retirement funds, being careful to follow the rules so that it was a tax-free event. However, my federal form 1040 showed the rollover amount in the income section (as non-taxable income). Do I get to count it, since it is in the income section? It would mean my annual income went up by an order of magnitude.

If I can count it, then I could roll it over again in a subsequent year, and again have that huge (non-taxable) income in that year. And so on.

This borders on the question of assets, but is different because money was actually reported in the income area of form 1040. But the income wasn't available for paying credit card bills. But the income could have been available for paying credit card bills (after paying taxes).

What do you think?
I think the only line on the tax form they will care about is AGI.
Old Dec 8, 2023, 2:28 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by cjw2001
I think the only line on the tax form they will care about is AGI.
Certainly Amex invites me to include tax-free income, which is not included in AGI. Evidently there is interest in something besides AGI.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.