Barclays Closed My Accounts

Old Mar 1, 2019, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Barclays Closed My Accounts

My Arrival Plus and AA Aviator cards were closed by Barclay last Friday. I got the letter yesterday and the explanation for closure is "Account Useage". That's it. I had a 30K credit line and never exceeded $20K in a month. Having seen a hit in my credit scores when the balance got to $20K, I started paying off the credit card everytime I flushed a bunch of debit cards. The last month I made 6 payments on the account. I also had a cruise charged that had been cancelled and the amount refunded during this last month. I always pay the account and never carry a balance. I had this account for 2 years and other than paying the card every week or so, I never had a problem with them.

Has this happened to you?

If so, when could I expect to apply again and get approved.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 11:13 am

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
6 months is what I have read online. They don't like obviously manufactured spending.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 11:24 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Correct - they are strict on MS, even if you're paying with MS debit cards and not using them for MS.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 5:07 pm
Original Poster

I was putting not only MS on the card, but groceries, gas, donations, home depot, walmart, mcdonalds, lots of travel of all types. I think it was paying the card balance off multiple times in a month and then getting a $2000 credit back from Royal Carribean for a cruise we cancelled. Over 2 years I probably flushed $200K over the 2 years.

I think Ariana, PointChaser, probably did way more than I was doing.

Guess it will be over to the Capital One.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 3:17 pm

Programs: DL, BA, AA
Which card were you putting the spend on, the Arrival Plus or the Aviator?
Old Mar 2, 2019, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Arrival Plus. None on the Aviator. I am hoping in 6 mos. that I can get both again. Just wondering if anyone else has done that.
Old Nov 22, 2019, 9:31 am

I just got a letter of cancellation for no activity. I got the card several years ago for the bonus and subsequently downgraded to the no annual fee card. I have't used it in about 18 months, so apparently that is maybe the trigger.
Old Nov 22, 2019, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by xooz
I just got a letter of cancellation for no activity. I got the card several years ago for the bonus and subsequently downgraded to the no annual fee card. I have't used it in about 18 months, so apparently that is maybe the trigger.
Quite common.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.